PDA

View Full Version : Shipping cameras overseas

jonathan smith
16-Apr-2007, 09:38
Does anyone have any experience/advice on shipping an 8x10 to Japan or S. Korea?
Is the expense ridiculous? Customs?
Thanks- Jon

Mattg
17-Apr-2007, 19:33
Not an 8x10, an Ebony 6x9 from the US to Korea.

Shipping was reasonable but customs will get you. UPS were excellent though, they found an interpreter for me, let me pay by CC, and had the package to me within half a day of paying the duty. I think it was something like 15% but you should probably check. I had the camera about a week after paying for it in the US.

One thing to watch out for if you're shipping a wooden camera is cold. It will be in a very cold, dry environment for about a week, it might be a little better in summer.

Matt.

Gary Smith
18-Apr-2007, 02:38
Does anyone have any experience/advice on shipping an 8x10 to Japan or S. Korea?
Is the expense ridiculous? Customs?
Thanks- Jon

When I sold my Tachihara 8x10 (replaced with a Wehman), I shipped it from Japan. I just packed it very well, wrapped it in multi layers of bubble wrap, and the lots of popcorn. I shipped via EMS (Global Express) insured, everything arrived safely at the home of its new owner. My Wehman came to me the exact same way, via US mail. Arrived safely with no damage or any other problems. Assuming you are shipping from the US, it will probably cost about $100.oo via the US mail. If you use UPS or FedEx, be prepared to paid two or three times that.

Hope it helps.

Gary

B.S.Kumar
15-Jun-2010, 17:18
I've sent cameras to the US, Canada and China through JapanPost EMS, and received them from the US through USPS Priority Mail and Global Express. No problems at all, if they're well packed with lots of bubble wrap and foam. In Japan, everything is treated with kid gloves, and damage is extremely rare.

Kumar