PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara knobs. Do they have stops?

Ben R
16-Apr-2007, 07:32
I just recieved my new Tachihara 45BR. Once loosened the knobs on the Tachihara 4X5 seem to spin very loosely, do they have stops or will they fall out if I'm not careful? There is a warning in the poor excuse for a manual not to over loosen the knobs but I don't want to experiment to find out if they have stops if I would be letting myself in for trouble trying to find out.

Ash
16-Apr-2007, 07:35
I found the same things happen with my Cambo/Calumet knobs. I un-tighten them and suddenly they're free-spinning and I gotta catch them before I lose one. Just take care and you shouldn't have a problem. Never loosen something more than you need to.

Ben R
16-Apr-2007, 07:40
You would have thought....

Seriously though, and it may be heresy especially as it's my first LF camera, but it doesn't really exude confidence as far as the machining goes.

Ralph Barker
16-Apr-2007, 07:50
The flip side of the issue, of course, would be cursing them for installing some sort of retainer when you actually need to disassemble the thing for cleaning after a dust storm. ;)

Ernest Purdum
16-Apr-2007, 08:13
Another reason is that left-handed screws are somtimes used as stops. The Graphic View II, for example. These serve the purpose until someone decides to take them off, turns them the wrong way, and breaks them off neatly at the base of the head.

Brian Ellis
16-Apr-2007, 08:42
I've owned two Tachiharas, one for about three years, the other for just a short time. I've never had a knob fall off, in fact the possibility that it might happen has never occurred to me. I just loosen things as much as needed and that's the end of it. I haven't owned the BR but the only difference between the "normal" Tachihara and the BR as I understand it is just the wood color and metal finish, not the construction or mechanics of the camera. I'm not at home right now but when I get home tonight I'll check my camera and see if anything falls off when I loosen the knobs as far as they will go.

Oren Grad
16-Apr-2007, 08:53
You would have thought....

Seriously though, and it may be heresy especially as it's my first LF camera, but it doesn't really exude confidence as far as the machining goes.

Many cameras have knobs without stops. It's a design issue, not a matter of machining quality. You get used to it, or if it's impossible to get used to, you get a different camera.

Kevin Klazek
16-Apr-2007, 09:48
Ben, my Tachi 4x5 has lock nuts at the ends of the pinion rods that stops the knobs from coming off. Try it out and turn the knobs to fully loosen them. They should not come off without removing the lock nuts. In any event you do not have to loosen them that much anyway in actual use. When tightening them up, do not over either. With some use, you will see what I mean. Have fun with the new Tachi.

Kevin

ljb0904
16-Apr-2007, 09:55
Ben, I support what Kevin says. I have an Osaka field camera which is the same as the Tachihara. The knobs on the front standard have little nuts at the end of them. As long as they are there, the knobs won't fall off. However, if you lose them as I did, only loosen the knobs as much as they need to be. That shouldn't be that much.

I believe the knobs that move the back standard forward will not come off, neither will the focus knob or the focus lock knob.

Enjoy the camera, while not the most rigid camera in the world, it is rigid enough and you will have a good time using it. My copy of the camera has a slightly flimsy back that I think is because the swing plates aren't completely flat. However, I think it is a great camera with wonderful features. And at just under 4 lbs, you won't hurt yourself using it.

Rob_5419
16-Apr-2007, 13:06
Couldn't stop trying to picture this thread: all of you guys playing with your knobs worried that they might fall off:confused:

Ben R
16-Apr-2007, 14:24
Does that work for American's Rob? :)

Rob_5419
16-Apr-2007, 14:28
Errr....I hope not!

Otherwise my reputation gets screwed ;)

Ash
16-Apr-2007, 15:14
Couldn't stop trying to picture this thread: all of you guys playing with your knobs worried that they might fall off:confused:

you baaaad :D :D