PDA

View Full Version : anyone shoot 4X10 E-6?

Songyun
15-Apr-2007, 08:55
Is 4X10 for black and white only? Most of the labs don't have E-6 process for 4X10 size, at least it is not on their price list.

vinny
15-Apr-2007, 09:18
I don't think their hangers will accept it. I made a slider board on my 8x10 and no problems. This doesn't help if you've got a 4x10 camera.

Songyun
15-Apr-2007, 09:20
I don't think their hangers will accept it. I made a slider board on my 8x10 and no problems. This doesn't help if you've got a 4x10 camera.

What kind of slide board?

Songyun
15-Apr-2007, 09:22
just one more question about 4X10, how do you store these developed film?

vinny
15-Apr-2007, 10:22
What kind of slide board?

It's a piece of MDF i cut to fit the inside of the camera back that's got a lip on either end which fits by friction into the back on the lens side of the ground glass. I like this method better than a split dark slide since the slider board blocks out the 1/2 of the ground glass you aren't using to compose the shot with. I can post a photo if you'd like.

vinny

Songyun
15-Apr-2007, 10:45
It's a piece of MDF i cut to fit the inside of the camera back that's got a lip on either end which fits by friction into the back on the lens side of the ground glass. I like this method better than a split dark slide since the slider board blocks out the 1/2 of the ground glass you aren't using to compose the shot with. I can post a photo if you'd like.

vinny
I would like to see what is that looks like. Thanks

Gene McCluney
15-Apr-2007, 11:19
10" long sheet film is developed in hangars that hold the film around the edge in a trough. The hangars are designed for 8x10 film. If one were to put a piece of 4x10 film into one, it would come out as soon as the hangar was lowered into the chemistry.

If you really want to shoot 4x10 color images, you COULD shoot 2 shots on an 8x10 sheet, using a split darkslide, or other method as described in previous posts, have the film processed, then cut the images apart. I really think this is the only way you will find commercial processing available to you for color. Of course this advice doesn't help you if you have a purpose-built 4x10 camera.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Apr-2007, 11:29
There are some labs that use a Jobo for formats they don't have dip-and-dunk hangers for, so if you can find such a lab, that's a possibility.

If you shoot enough volume or can group together with other 4x10" shooters, you could possibly convince a lab to invest, maybe with some subsidy on your part, in a custom hanger for 4x10".

Songyun
16-Apr-2007, 21:08
vinny, can you post the photo?

nicol_verheem
16-Apr-2007, 22:16
4x10E-6 is 0.00004, or 40 micro, uhm, eeh, inches ? About 1.57 micrometer or 1/100th the width of a human hair. An here I thought this is LARGE format... :-)

Bruce Watson
17-Apr-2007, 06:28
Is 4X10 for black and white only? Most of the labs don't have E-6 process for 4X10 size, at least it is not on their price list.

My local pro lab says they do 10x4, both E-6 and C-41. That would be J. W. Photo Labs (http://www.jwphotolabs.com/about.html). If you can't get it done locally, that's an option for you.

For the record, I have no connection with J. W. Photo Labs other than being a statisfied customer. They do all my 5x4 C-41 work.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Apr-2007, 06:43
Hmmm... can 4x10" be done in a dip and dunk in the 4x5" hangers? That's a possibility, and it would mean that more labs can do it.

These hangers aren't like the hangers used for the "deep tanks" used in home and small labs. Industrial dip and dunk processors hold hundreds of gallons of solution and are tall enough to process rolls of 35mm, 36 exp. film hanging straight down. The sheet film hangers have long metal strips with clips that grip the film along the long edges between the metal strips, two clips to a side of each sheet, and there is no physical barrier between the sheets in a single column, so it might be possible to hang a 4x10" sheet in a way that spans two spaces on a 4x5" dip and dunk hanger.

Here's site that shows how these machines work--

http://www.gde.dk/