PDA

View Full Version : Age of my Optar lens/Graphex shutter?

Doug Kerr
14-Apr-2007, 16:34
Greetings,

I recently acquired a lovely Optar 162 mm f/4.5 lens in a no. 3 Full Synchromatic Graphex shutter (both made by Wollensak for Graflex, Inc.). I believe that the lens would have been sold by Wollensak directly as its Raptar, with the shutter a Rapax.

The lens serial number is 922531. Can we tell from that the approximate year of manufacture of this lens and shutter?

Thanks.

Gene McCluney
14-Apr-2007, 16:41
Thats interesting that your Optar is made by Wollensak. My 135mm Graflex Optar is made by Rodenstock and says so on the lens.

Doug Kerr
14-Apr-2007, 16:57
Hi, Gene,

Thats interesting that your Optar is made by Wollensak. My 135mm Graflex Optar is made by Rodenstock and says so on the lens.

Yes, Graflex used Wollensak as its supplier of lenses carrying its "Optar" name for a while, but later changed to Rodenstock. I don't know when that change happened.

I understand the Wollensak Optars (Raptars, known as "Velostigmat" until about 1945) are considered so-so, but the Rodenstock Optars are considered quite good.

Best regards,

Doug

Wayne R. Scott
14-Apr-2007, 17:59
Doug,

I can't tell you when it was manufactured, but this is the same lens that came with my Crown Graphic. Here is the first shot I ever made on 4x5 and it was with this lens:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/Wscott601/Taylor.gif

Wayne

Doug Kerr
14-Apr-2007, 18:12
Hi, Wayne,

Doug,

I can't tell you when it was manufactured, but this is the same lens that came with my Crown Graphic. Here is the first shot I ever made on 4x5 and it was with this lens:

Great shot. Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Chauncey Walden
15-Apr-2007, 08:53
Doug, based on Kerry Thalmann's research on dating Wollensaks (search Wollensak age) I would place yours at about 1951 or 1952.
Chauncey

Doug Kerr
15-Apr-2007, 09:20
Hi, Chauncey,

Doug, based on Kerry Thalmann's research on dating Wollensaks (search Wollensak age) I would place yours at about 1951 or 1952.

Excellent. I'll look for the cited material.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr
15-Apr-2007, 09:35
Hi, Chauncey,

I looked at the thread you cited. Very interesting.

I was fascinated by your forensic work on the piece of a Buffalo newspaper!

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Sampson
17-Apr-2007, 12:10
It's probable that Graflex turned to Rodenstock as their lens supplier in the 1960's. The LF lens market was declining by then. Kodak gave up LF lens production in the mid-sixties, and Wollensak was out of business entirely by 1972... just a year before the end of Graflex camera production in '73.