PDA

View Full Version : Age of my new Calumet CC-401?

Doug Kerr
12-Apr-2007, 07:17
Greetings,

I just received a lovely Calumet 4x5 view camera, which I suppose to be a CC-401. It has a 26" long rail and is in gray finish.

The serial number is 25028. Can we determine its approximate year of manufacture?

Thanks.

MIke Sherck
12-Apr-2007, 11:18
I have no idea when it was made. I have no idea when mine was made, either, and it doesn't have a serial number. Aside from being rather bulky (I cut 10" off the rail and that helped a great deal,) it's a nice camera. Geared front rise and that rotating back are features I found I was reluctant to give up, once I got used to them being there. Heavier and bulkier than a wooden field camera but after using mine for a while I stopped looking for a replacement Wisner or Zone VI.

Mike

whiteymorange
13-Apr-2007, 09:59
It's here (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumeta/p4.html) in the 1965 catalogue.

I have one and have been quite reluctant to cut the long rail. I've needed it occasionally for the odd long lens and close up work. I'm looking for a machine shop to have another rail milled if I can't find a suitable parts camera.

Doug Kerr
13-Apr-2007, 10:38
Hi, "whiteymorange"

Thanks so much for the link. I forgot there was a Calumet catalog on that site - I visit it all the time for other stuff I have been thinking about longer (Graflex, Kodak, lenses, etc.)!

Best regards,

Doug