PDA

View Full Version : Dagor Date

joelwillyg
11-Apr-2007, 14:13
I have the following lens in shutter:
-C.P.GOERZ BERLIN DAGOR Series III (a small five pointed star done in white outline) 240mm No 119848.
-No.3 Acme Synchro shutter. Serial # SY 897 (stamped), 195(engraved)
The one serial number reference dates this lens from the 19oo's. The cosmetics and construction of the lens leads me to believe it is from much later.
Any thoughts?
-Joel

Jim Galli
11-Apr-2007, 14:49
I have the following lens in shutter:
-C.P.GOERZ BERLIN DAGOR Series III (a small five pointed star done in white outline) 240mm No 119848.
-No.3 Acme Synchro shutter. Serial # SY 897 (stamped), 195(engraved)
The one serial number reference dates this lens from the 19oo's. The cosmetics and construction of the lens leads me to believe it is from much later.
Any thoughts?
-Joel

At great risk of being too inaccurate and or brief, I've understood that post WWII Burke & James of Chicago (A large old time catalog photo house) was able to purchase hundreds of Dagor lenses that were just the glass groups. They mounted and paired them up and made up "Berlin Dagor" sets, sometimes single coating them, and usually mounting them in the shutters current for the 1950's. Most often these are fine performers. Certainly every one I've ever used was! But there are also reports that they are somehow less desireable than the later blue blood American Optical Co. products. Go make pictures and report back with your opinion. I believe what you have is one of the B&J lenses.

joelwillyg
12-Apr-2007, 08:37
It is my only normal lens for my old 8x10 Ansco. I just yesterday open my last box of Tri-X which expired in '93, and a test exposure showed me it is usable. The unopened envelope really did its job!
I look forward to the next few months of travels to use the film up. The lens is the only 8x10 lens I've ever used, and after the shutter was serviced by Melles-Griot it has been a pleasure to use. f/32 and be there.
-Joel