PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1 recommendations

scrichton
10-Apr-2007, 08:49
After many problems with my MPP Mk8 on wide angle lenses I have decided that a Sinar F1 is called for to deal with the bulk of the 90mm f5.6 super angulon ( the 6.8 angulon I borrowed is just not good enough ).

I was wondering what these were like on the whole. So far my monorail experiece has been a low down Toyo which I was impressed by. Along with this if any sinar users in the group had the hasselblad back adapter, if so do I require a seperate ground glass to use this? ( Flexbody on steroids and C41 on the high street :-D)

Other things, do the backs on these have grafloks;is the gape ok for a 405 pack film polaroid back and finally do the panels interchange with the Norma system as I have panel the 90mm came on.... adding to this again ... Do the standard bellows allow enough movment on a flat panel for a 90mm? (nothing too extreme, just for architectural corrections)

This will be the last big gear buy I have for a few years so I'm just concerned about buying the wrong thing. All I know is the MPP is too unstable for wideangle unfortunately so monorail it has to be.

Regards,
Steven

Jerry Flynn
10-Apr-2007, 09:31
Many people have commented on the relatively weak front standard of the f1 when compared to the f2. I have used both and would say the f2 is superior. However, I did use the older f model (predecessor of the f1) with the 5.6 90mm Super Angulon with no problems.

I have no experience with the Hasselblad back.

The ground glass will slide off so you can use the 405 back with th Grafloc. I have not tried a 405 under the groundglass - I think it would be tight. I think you will need the bag bellows for the 90mm.

Lensboards, front and rear standards and bellows are interchangeable with the Norma.

Rob_5419
10-Apr-2007, 14:11
The Sinar F series are great monorails. I wouldn't go for any other monorail other than a Sinar F series having used an F, F1 and F2 in the last century.

I've never personally broken an F nor F1 standard. (Numpties might do this using sheer force maybe? ) The F2 is fine with a 90mm Super Angulon XL f5.6 lens (and a wide-angle bellows - you will struggle with standard bellows to focus although it is possible - barely). The two metal clips located superior, hold it with no difficulties. The set up however isn't going to be too handy for carrying on the high street. Not used the Hasselblad adapter, even though I use the Hasselblad system (preferred for portability).

Green Norma lensboards are interchangeable with black Sinar ones too although are prettier painted black! An international Graflok back comes with the F series. Again, the F2's back is superior - it can be operated with a tiny finger and displaced without force for DDS or film back insertion.

Great camera especially if you're on a budget and this is going to be your last camera. It seems a monorail offers a lot more value than any comparable 5x4" camera since most users are put off by the weight!

JW Dewdney
10-Apr-2007, 18:02
I'm a huge Sinar user - but honestly I'd STRONGLY recommend a Cambo Legend over an F1. Over an F2 also. And they're SO cheap lately, too. They're GREAT cameras, esp. for the price.

scrichton
11-Apr-2007, 07:22
ordered it all with the wide angle bellows and a couple of lens plates. So now just to get an adapter plate to allow the MPP panels to be used, as the MPP can fit with 3 lenses in an over the shoulder lowepro slingshot.

Although I have the suspicion as time goes on I'll be a monorail man with the MPP setup as a permanent 6x12 camera