PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Tech III lensboards

Mark Sampson
9-Apr-2007, 09:43
I know these are long discontinued by Linhof. But I saw a nice 4x5 Tech III for sale, and I now have a mild case of gear lust. So I wonder if anyone is making new lensboards to fit this camera- or would a Tech III owner have to rely on the used market?

Scott --
9-Apr-2007, 10:15
Rank noob question: Is there something special about the Tech III board, or could it be fabbed from wood? Never seen one...

Bob Salomon
9-Apr-2007, 10:17
I know these are long discontinued by Linhof. But I saw a nice 4x5 Tech III for sale, and I now have a mild case of gear lust. So I wonder if anyone is making new lensboards to fit this camera- or would a Tech III owner have to rely on the used market?

The factory is not making them.

John Schneider
9-Apr-2007, 11:23
New reproductions in stock at S. K. Grimes:
http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm

Mark Sampson
9-Apr-2007, 11:47
Well, that's good/bad news. I don't need, or have the spare cash for, another 4x5. But if I did buy it, easy access to boards is good. And let me state unequivocally; a Linhof Technika, even at 50+ years old, is a beautifullly made machine. Thanks John and Bob!

Robert Ley
9-Apr-2007, 11:57
Mark,
I have a Tech III board that is drilled for a compound shutter. The hole is 21/2 inches in diameter. It came with a 360mm Tele-Xenar. It is also drilled and countersunk for a flange. If you have use for it I would be glad to send it to you. Let me know if you can use it.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Apr-2007, 13:26
They are pretty easy to make. I had an aluminum supply cut some .06" aluminum plate to 3.94" x 3.66", and drill holes. Result was rough but very functional. I had to do a bit of sanding, but it was quite a bit cheaper than buying used or from Grimes.

Chauncey Walden
9-Apr-2007, 16:57
Jason is correct, they are easy to make. I use hobby shop aluminum which comes in 4x10 .064 sheets, cut them on a table saw, and drill them on a drill press. You could use the little $40 Harbor Freight table saw or a jig saw to cut them. Instead of drilling, you could use a jig saw or even a jeweler's hand saw. If I want to make it fancy, I cut a slight recess with a ball cutter on a Dremel for the felt ring. A little Ultra Flat Black sprayed on adds the finishing touch. Doesn't really take much longer to do than it does to write about it. And, the Tech III is a little jewel! I did have to make a slight modification to mine to use Grafmatic holders which was just to take 2mm off the top of the stop fence but that was no problem because of the camera's construction. Kinematics worked without modifying the camera, by the way.