PDA

View Full Version : Picture Post: Out the Window

Brian C. Miller
8-Apr-2007, 12:04
Since we've gone to the dogs, I figured it would be interesting to take off in a new direction.

All of us, on occasion, make test photos. How a lens works, is there a light leak, what's the image circle, is a particular film worth anything, how well does that developer work, and on and on. I usually make these photos from my apartment.

So what does the world look like outside your window?

Remember, your suburbia is someone else's exotica.

walter23
8-Apr-2007, 12:12
My backyard (and the downstairs neighbor's barbecue / lawn chair set). The fence is badly maintained, but as a tenant paying rent I'm sure not paying to fix it or putting in the effort to paint it. I could be booted next month for a land sale for all I know.

I took this to test my unicolour processing drum after it arrived from an ebay purchase.

Rory_5244
8-Apr-2007, 12:13
Looking northeast, trying out a new lens.

Colin Graham
8-Apr-2007, 14:44
A bokeh test of which lens I can't remember. The OOF is crappy, but I sort of liked the horse and chicken bourree

Eric James
8-Apr-2007, 15:12
Ahhhhhh - Everett, Washington!

"lawnchairbrooding":)

Rory - that's some nice window glass!

Colin's "Peacable Kingdom"

I wish I has one to contibute. I'm trying to avoid looking out my windows these days, as the melting snow exposes coliform-laded canine leftovers.

sparq
8-Apr-2007, 15:49
This is one of my 1st shots taken with my Technika / Symmar-S 210. It was taken in the morning before I left for my office. I have this encouraging view from my kitchen window / back porch.

http://static.flickr.com/160/439166055_0ffb83afc0.jpg

John Voss
8-Apr-2007, 16:36
This was taken several years ago with my then new to me Omega View and 210 lens. I actually sat on a bed in my bathrobe and shot out the window with the screen removed. Today, a red fox challenged a coyote back there to defend her kits....a few moments later, the mama deer who lives in the woods with her several progeny started screaming (yes!....deer scream, and quite chillingly so at that) at the proximity of the coyote. And to think all we wanted to see was the Easter Bunny.........

David A. Goldfarb
8-Apr-2007, 17:33
I guess most people have probably seen the view of Grant's Tomb and the Riverside Church looking south down the Hudson River from my window. Here's a recent albumen print from a 6x17cm neg made in October 2006.

Linhof Tech V, DaYi 6x17 back, 90mm/f:8 Super-Angulon at f:22, Schneider III CF, #12 Yellow filter, 1/2 sec, TX/ABC pyro 1+1+1+7, 12 min.

dominikus bw
8-Apr-2007, 18:32
Jhon... it's brilliant...

vinny
8-Apr-2007, 18:33
Great shot John Voss!

Chris Strobel
8-Apr-2007, 18:46
Yes great shot John!Betcha it looks great in a big print.

Great shot John Voss!

jedrek
9-Apr-2007, 03:16
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/427953382_caad14b62f_o.jpg

Testing my Graflex Crown Graphic with some Fuji FP100C

adrian tyler
9-Apr-2007, 04:04
Re: Picture Post: Out the Window

Daniel Grenier
9-Apr-2007, 04:26
This was taken several years ago with my then new to me Omega View and 210 lens. I actually sat on a bed in my bathrobe and shot out the window with the screen removed. Today, a red fox challenged a coyote back there to defend her kits....a few moments later, the mama deer who lives in the woods with her several progeny started screaming (yes!....deer scream, and quite chillingly so at that) at the proximity of the coyote. And to think all we wanted to see was the Easter Bunny.........

No need to send the view out my window... it's exactly like John's (foxes, deer, coyote and all). as a matter of fact this is precisely what my back woods looked like this Easter weekend.... the view out my front window, however, is of a lake. Nothing like living in the country, right, John?

jnantz
9-Apr-2007, 10:53
out kitchen window

paulr
9-Apr-2007, 11:53
A bokeh test of which lens I can't remember. The OOF is crappy, but I sort of liked the horse and chicken bourree

Colin, this is great.

I love the idea of the out-the-window picture as a genre. It actually pre-dates photography ... there's a lot of painting from the last few hundred years of views out the window, often with the window as part of the composition.

These pictures have a lot going for them when they work ... they're personal (it's easy to put yourself in the artist's shoes), you see where they're looking, and where they are, and you often get the interesting element of the window serving as a frame within a frame.

One of my favorites is Weston's picture out the bathroom window of a house in a ghost town. You saw the dim interior of the bathroom, the blazing desert landscape outside, and the sense of the landscape hanging like a picture on the wall in its little frame.

QT Luong
9-Apr-2007, 12:18
Richard Misrach has produced a whole body of work out of his window, however the fact that he has a great view of the Golden Gate helped.

paulr
9-Apr-2007, 12:21
Richard Misrach has produced a whole body of work out of his window, however the fact that he has a great view of the Golden Gate helped.

Right ... so has Kertesz, out of his window overlooking Central Park.

Abe Morel's camera obscura pictures are a nice take on the window theme as well.

MJSfoto1956
9-Apr-2007, 14:52
here I was testing a 47mm XL together with a Betterlight panoramic adapter (ok, not quite "out the window" but it certainly was a test)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/12/18734437_ad856a6adb_o.jpg

walter23
9-Apr-2007, 15:06
out kitchen window

I think it's broken. (Either the kitchen window or the lens).

Robert Hughes
9-Apr-2007, 15:49
Here's mine, out the back door with a Raptar 135mm on a Busch Pressman D, Era 100 film:

jnantz
9-Apr-2007, 16:59
I think it's broken. (Either the kitchen window or the lens).

it's not the window or the lens, but me, i'm broken, very broken

paulr
9-Apr-2007, 20:33
Here are a couple of mine. The black and white one is from the window of my old loft around 10 years ago; the color is from my window last year. Both in Brooklyn.

Mark Sawyer
10-Apr-2007, 19:39
Maybe something odd about me, but I feel now compunction in combining lens tests and comparisons with my "serious" work. If I ever published or showed my work, I'd almost insist that some of these be included. These "duets" with two lenses belong side-by-side for purely aesthetic (and inaccessible personal) reasons, and though I suppose some might never see past the "oh, a lens comparison" perception, it sometimes somehow seems incomplete to see one without the other...

The window of my backyard woodshop, with a 450 Nikkor and a 17" IWSWGon on an 11x14 B&J on loan from Ryan McIntosh...

Dominique Labrosse
10-Apr-2007, 20:35
From my bedroom balcony. Graphic View II, 210mm Symmar convertible, TMAX 100.

austin granger
13-Oct-2011, 19:14
Arrest, 33rd Street, Astoria
http://austingranger.com/web/astoria/04-25_arrest_33rd_street.jpg

E. von Hoegh
14-Oct-2011, 07:44
This is one of my 1st shots taken with my Technika / Symmar-S 210. It was taken in the morning before I left for my office. I have this encouraging view from my kitchen window / back porch.

Look on the bright side - the neighbors are quiet.:)

Richard M. Coda
26-Dec-2011, 21:02
http://www.pctype.com/rcphoto/test/window002.jpg
Window, Pompton Lakes, NJ, 1985
4x5 Plus X

This was my bedroom window in my parents house... yes it was cold... the good old days when ice would form on your windows.

Ken Lee
27-Dec-2011, 05:17
Excellent !

Sirius Glass
2-Jan-2012, 07:12

I think you must be at a dead end. :eek: