PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with a Pink camera?

Dean Jones
8-Apr-2007, 01:18
After checking out Randy's gorgeous Century 8x10, thought I'd better show off my nice new Pink Polaroid Pussycat 4x5......
Question is, would you shoot with an LF camera this colour?

Walter Calahan
8-Apr-2007, 01:28
Sure, it'd match my 'Hello Kitty' camera.

Ash
8-Apr-2007, 04:51
I'm laughing more at the "US GOVT PROPERTY" mark on the top. :D

Scott Knowles
8-Apr-2007, 05:54
It's the old corporate strategy, don't worry about products that don't sell or pass the quality assurance tests, the US Government will buy them. Imagine the poor civil servant who had to use them in the field and on their property list, "Camera, one, pink....., value..."

When you stop laughing think about how much of your taxpayer money is spent doing this when they opt for the cheapest bid and either get defective products, or replace or fix them sooner than normal.

Greg Lockrey
8-Apr-2007, 05:55
It would go good with your purple beret.:D

Frank Petronio
8-Apr-2007, 06:22
Let's hope Litty doesn't rip off the idea with rhinestones and such for the Fifth Ave crowd ;)

David A. Goldfarb
8-Apr-2007, 07:32
Does it come with "Polaroid Barbie"?

Gary J. McCutcheon
8-Apr-2007, 07:51
Dean,

How can you be so insensitive in such a politically correct environment as today? Quietly possessing such an object is one thing, but displaying it to the world? I can't wait for the headlines tomorrow. It has been in the closet too long. And what will the majority camera colors say? And it's Easter too. Did you even stop to consider how the camera feels?

Paul Fitzgerald
8-Apr-2007, 08:26
Dean,

Call Penthouse, their logo was 'Think Pink' wasn't it. They have a great marketing team, sell everything. Of course you'd have to convert it back to Polaroid

Happy Easter (oh, sorry. That would be Playboy bunnies)

Steven Barall
8-Apr-2007, 09:56
It's part of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy.

Kerik Kouklis
8-Apr-2007, 10:48
Is it for sale? :-)

Brian C. Miller
8-Apr-2007, 11:49
I thought the "Think Pink" was part of Owens Corning (http://www.owenscorning.com/) Fiberglas insulation advertising program.

Dean, where did you get that camera anyways? I'm not suprised its in mint condition, mind you. Would you want to go out and photograph something in a dark suit with that camera? :) Maybe you should make up a Peeps diorama.

Bob Bell
8-Apr-2007, 12:45
You could get plastic dye in black and convert it. It would be even more funny in Camo :)

Dean Jones
8-Apr-2007, 15:55
A fellow in London has named it the 'Pink Cadillac'. Apparently 'girls go wild' for such things.......perhaps I'm finally on to something?

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

al olson
9-Apr-2007, 05:45
Can you tell us a little more about the history of the camera?

From the photos it looks like it was manufactured in pink? Would this be so, or is it an aftermarket customization?

Where did you find it?

Do you know anything about the history of the prior owners, such as US GOVT, and what they used it for?

How did it get from the US GOVT to Australia?

This sounds like it would be an interesting story.

Dean Jones
9-Apr-2007, 15:10
Hi Al.......I was very happy with the resulting 'Pink Caddy' but there's no mystery behind it.
The camera began as a standard Polaroid 900 body in ghost grey finish fitted with an 'Electric Eye' lens.

I removed the front standard/lens assembly and replaced it with a moving front standard of my own design. This allows for some shift and swing, together with tilt, (kinda like the effect of using a 'Lensbaby' on a DSLR). It has detents to allow for a zero position when using the rangefinder. Someone a while back suggested that a pink camera would be a nice idea and that idea stuck in my head.

Removing the old leatherette from a Polaroid camera of this vintage usually requires the use of steam from a kettle to release the glue.
It's rather like skinning a kangaroo, which is a well known Aussie occupation.............apparently? :eek:

Our local two dollar shop had a pink handbag hanging outside for several weeks and it finally got me for a cost of seven dollars and fifty cents.
The vinyl/leatherette of these bags is great for such things and covers well. I traced the pattern from the original covering, making careful
allowances for the stretching that occurred during removal.

The lens I originally chose was a Fujinon 150mm f5.6, but I've since swapped it for my trusty Caltar 150 f5.6 MC. The US Gov't rangefinder cover
came from a Polaroid 110B that was originally used by the Jet Propulsion Lab in 1960. I figured no one would want a camera with this on top, so decided to keep it for myself.

Pink coating is a Japanese product called 'Tamiya Colour', it's made especially for painting plastics and it works very well.
So the mystery has been revealed, the camera simply arose out of a whim to have something a bit different. I'll watch for any reaction to the camera on the next model shoot!

Cheers. :)

Ash
9-Apr-2007, 15:28
Tamiya paints are pretty famous. Nice to hear of a bit of modification behind the camera.

I'm still trying to bring myself to save long enough for a Razzle cam. It'd be cheaper than a Gowland TLR :D

Lee Hamiel
9-Apr-2007, 16:43
Let's hope Litty doesn't rip off the idea with rhinestones and such for the Fifth Ave crowd ;)

Hi Dean

Per Frank's comments - maybe call this version the "Hello Litty"

In case any others are not sure what I mean it's based on the 'Hello Kitty" line of ...

Great work & regards

Dean Jones
9-Apr-2007, 17:39
Hi Dean

Per Frank's comments - maybe call this version the "Hello Litty"

In case any others are not sure what I mean it's based on the 'Hello Kitty" line of ...

Great work & regards

Thanks Lee.....I would much prefer that to be 'Goodbye Litty'! :p

Jim Rice
9-Apr-2007, 17:47
I actually think it's pretty hip.

George Kara
10-Apr-2007, 16:19
I really think that using bright colors would attract alot of young photographers. My daughter would love one of these in pink!! Is it for sale?

George

Jim Rice
10-Apr-2007, 16:43
Of course, anyone who still uses the term "hip" is tragically unhip.

Carsten Wolff
10-Apr-2007, 17:48
hmm....more style than any of those gold Leicas out there in any case.
I'd shoot with it, Dean.... even up here (N-Qld).