PDA

View Full Version : cost of a CLA on an old shutter

mike fitzgibbon
7-Apr-2007, 19:33
Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of CLA on an old shutter, The shutter fires
but sticks on several speeds and I'm shure its not accurate. Thanks for any help.
Mike Fitzgibbon

Wayne R. Scott
7-Apr-2007, 19:50
Roughly $50 plus shipping.

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Wayne

Alan Davenport
7-Apr-2007, 21:00
Or $3.00 for a small can of Ronsonol lighter fluid... The Alphax shutter that I did a DIY CLA on 4 years ago is still going strong, accurate on all speeds and in all weather.

John Kasaian
7-Apr-2007, 22:22
Some shutters are allergic to Ronsonol (Acmes come to mind---the stuff eats up the shutter blades) and some are just notoriously bad characters (the Ilex copy of the dial-set Compur---it looks like its growing a moustache)
I'd contact Carol Miller and seek her expert advice.

Gene McCluney
8-Apr-2007, 09:45
I use a zero-residue aerosol can of cleaner normally used in the electronics industry for cleaning parts. It is claimed (on the can) to not harm plastic, etc. I have found this has worked perfectly on all types of leaf shutters I have. It is best if you can remove the faceplate on the shutter so the inside works are exposed, this gives you the best chance of flushing out the dried oils and dirts. Various shutters have various ways of removing their faceplates.

Ron Stowell
8-Apr-2007, 09:50
Carol Miller is the way to go, she has done a couple of my shutters and is about to do three more of my shutters for me. Usually $50. per shutter and worth every penny and fast too. Can't enough good about Carol and her work.

Kevin Crisp
8-Apr-2007, 09:54
The problem with the zero residue spray idea is that you are left with a shutter with no lubrication whatsoever. Which is fine for some shutters, but not for others. If you then know where to apply the extremely small amount of oil and/or grease, you're all set.

Gene McCluney
8-Apr-2007, 13:57
The problem with the zero residue spray idea is that you are left with a shutter with no lubrication whatsoever. Which is fine for some shutters, but not for others. If you then know where to apply the extremely small amount of oil and/or grease, you're all set.

Yes, and in general you are correct, however a dry clean working shutter is better than a dirty gummy shutter. It is pretty obvious, if you can take the front plate off, the pivots and bearings that might need a teensy drop of lubricant with a needle-nose oiler. Absolutely no lubricant on shutter blades or iris blades.

Ted Harris
8-Apr-2007, 19:35
Carol Miller, Paul Ebel, SK Grimes; these are three that are oftenmentioned here. Additionally, any local camera repair shop that has someone who is still capable of working on mechanical cameras and shutters can do it. Costs will be around 40-50 if all it needs is a CLA. Pick the one which is most convenient for you. Sure you can do it yourself if you feel competent to deal with small machinery and have the time. Balance the cost of replacement against the cost of sending it out or your doing it yourself.