PDA

View Full Version : Omega 45c 4X5

buckwaverhaven
7-Apr-2007, 17:22
I have an Omega 45c 4x5 view.

Just wondering if there is any way to add a digital scanning back to it.

Thx for the help.

Buck

Ed Richards
7-Apr-2007, 18:56
www.betterlight.com + $$$$$

buckwaverhaven
7-Apr-2007, 23:56
Thx Ed for the info. I might have to play the lottery more often.
Do you know if there is a cheaper way to shoot digital shots with the perspective and focusing control of a view camera?

Buck (Steve)

Oh, very nice B&W's on your web site.:)

Ed Richards
8-Apr-2007, 06:09
Thanks!

There are attachments for a DSLR back, but it is a real kludge, and you have to have the DSLR. Canon makes tilt-shift lenses that a number of folks use - a Canon 5d and a TS lens is the cheapest approach. You could use an APS canon camera, but it would be even harder to see anything in the finder. If you are doing this commerically, the 5d and the TS makes a lot of sense. If you have enough business, there are terrific MF digital backs you can use on 6x9 cameras, but these cost even more than the Betterlight setup.

Gene McCluney
8-Apr-2007, 09:16
There is a Betterlight emailing list, and one can often find these scanning backs for sale used at substantial savings. The entry level back is superior (in quality of resolution) to the best DSLR. I know I have one. I also have a top-level DSLR, so I can make comparisons.

buckwaverhaven
11-Apr-2007, 22:38
Thx guys for the info. I will be doing much research on these items.
I will be shooting circuitboards for commercial brochures.
I have done many in the past but with 4x5 film.
I'm trying to make use of my old equipment instead of selling it off.

Thx,
Steve (Buckwaverhaven)

MJSfoto1956
21-Apr-2007, 12:19
Thx guys for the info. I will be doing much research on these items.
I will be shooting circuitboards for commercial brochures.
I have done many in the past but with 4x5 film.
I'm trying to make use of my old equipment instead of selling it off.

Thx,
Steve (Buckwaverhaven)

The BetterLight scanning back works in any camera that takes a normal 4x5 film holder. I use a BetterLight in several cameras: Linhof Technikardan, Linhof Kardan, Gaoersi handheld, and Polaroid MP4 copy camera. The latter is what I do all my copy work with.

I commend you on trying to re-purpose older equipment. I have a Beseler 45MX and it could easily be modified to accept a 4x5 filmholder. Instead, I use it together with an old Linhof and Betterlight scan back to scan 4x5 color negs:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/73356250_45471cfd4f.jpg

You could always contact S.K. Grimes to see if they could make something for you. OTOH, Polaroid MP4 cameras are so cheap that it might be more cost effective to try to procure one of those on eBay.

P.S. in the latest issue of MAGNAchrom there is an article on how an ordinary Polaroid MP4 was modified by S.K. Grimes to accept Linhof Technika-style boards. This camera is used together with a Betterlight scan back to copy flat artwork.

Cheers,