PDA

View Full Version : Boring...off to Yosemite again...

Vaughn
7-Apr-2007, 09:59
I plan on being in the Valley on April 10th and 11th...so if you a tall bearded guy with an 8x10 and two 10-year old bored boys hanging out waiting for dad to finish, that will probably be me.

Vaughn

Walter Calahan
7-Apr-2007, 11:39
Too bad you can't take the 10-year olds to Bayonne. Then they wouldn't be bored, and you'd make your photographs much faster. Grin.

Vaughn
7-Apr-2007, 18:37
Too bad you can't take the 10-year olds to Bayonne. Then they wouldn't be bored, and you'd make your photographs much faster. Grin.

I Googled Bayonne and found one in New Jersey and one in France -- anything special to photograph (slow or fast) in either one?

John Kasaian
7-Apr-2007, 23:21
The prospect of a pizza at Degnan's keeps my kids in a state of eager anticipation when they're out with dad.

David Karp
7-Apr-2007, 23:35
Never boring.

Give the boys a couple of Holgas, a roll of black tape, and some roll film.

shmoo
8-Apr-2007, 10:14
The prospect of a pizza at Degnan's keeps my kids in a state of eager anticipation when they're out with dad.

...it's the "hot apple pie" at the Mountain Bar that keeps me going :D

(apple cider, tuaca, rum, spices...yummmmm)

Eric James
8-Apr-2007, 14:11
Uncooked ramen noodles, raisins, beef jerky and thoughts of Sunday Brunch at the Ahwahnee keeps me going.

Good luck Vaughn! Ten must be a tough age to nurture along on a trip like this, but in a few years they'll be off on a trail of their own and you'll have to carry your own tripod. Maybe a bird guide or tree guide will keep them busy.

Vaughn
8-Apr-2007, 19:25
Well, 10 is easier than 5 yrs old. I had borrowed an 11x14 camera and was in Yosemite with all 3 five-yr-olds boys...and without the wife. Had my head under the darkcloth for a little while and heard a "Hello Daddy!" from above me -- they had worked their way around the backside of a bunch of rocks (this was under the Washington Column area) and were about 25 feet up on these rocks. I yelled at them to get back down and finished the photo. The next day I sat the boys down for lunch along the Merced -- and while my head was under the darkcloth, they decided to wade in the Merced River. They had their rubber boots on, in about water up to their knees and fast water just another 4 feet out (this was February). It made it difficult to concentrate on the image I was trying to make...

Vaughn

But I will remember about the Pizza and the Hot Apple Pie!

Vaughn
13-Apr-2007, 21:06
Great stay at Yosemite! Not a whole lot of photographing, but fun. Mostly rain on Wednesday and woke up with fresh snow on Thursday (melted quickly).

Good pizza at Degnan's!

Vaughn

Ed K.
13-Apr-2007, 22:38
Having met two of Vaughn's sons, I'd guess that Vaughn has it much easier than most parents - they are perfect gentlemen.

To anyone who hasn't seen some of Vaughn's prints - it's worth going out of your way to see them! Modest guy Vaughn is - he didn't even mention recent accolades in a juried competition...

Hey Vaughn - good thing you didn't have to drive backwards up El Capitan!;)

Vaughn
14-Apr-2007, 12:04
Thanks Ed,

And a warning about Ed -- don't follow him when he's driving a 4wd when you are driving a minivan. He'll lead you to strange desolate places of increadible beauty (they don't call it the California "Lost Coast" for nothing!) But I did learn that if you can't go forward up a steep gravelly road with front-wheel-drive, then go full blast ass-backwards! Just ignore the drop-offs and screams of your passengers! (For the record, Ed did warn me before hand!)

Since you mentioned it, Ed, and to prove I am not as modest as you make me out to be, here is a link to my "award winner" to this year's Yosemite Renaissance Show

http://www.yrhome.org/22_23.html

And my non-award-winning accepted piece in last year's competition and show:

http://www.yrhome.org/21pics/XXI_9.html

Entry to next year's competition and show will be in October 2007 -- it is a multi-media (except for video, and performance pieces) competition, and I encourage those interested to check out the website below for more info. The jury looks for a personal connection between the artist and the Yosemite (and the Sierras) Experience, rather than just images that "document the obvious". To illustrate the point, Ted Orland has been an award winner the past couple of years.

Here is a direct link to the page about the show:

http://www.yrhome.org/theshow.html

One of the great things about the show is that the opening reception for the show is late February -- a great time to go to Yosemite! The weather can be relatively mellow...this year we had a good snow and some great opportunities to photograph!

Vaughn