PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Imagon 250mm F/5.8 Lens

Gerlof Homan
6-Apr-2007, 10:23
I am new in (environmental) LF portraiture. Is the RODENSTOCK IMAGON 250MM F/5.8 LENS (used) a valuable buy for black & white portraiture.

Ted Harris
6-Apr-2007, 11:50
The 250 Imagon is one of the modern (although it has been in production for a century) variable focus lenses. It is great for portraiture but there is a learning curve to using it as ou focus differently than you do with a 'regular' lens. If you do get the lens it should come with 1) all three aperture discs which you use variably to set your aperture and 2) the ND filter. A lens hood should also be included and, if it is anolder lens a green filter instead of the ND. The modern version of the lens comes in a #3 shutter and older versions come in a Compound Shutter. They have also been sold without shutters. The price you pay for the lens will vary acording to which shutter it is in. If any of the discs are missing they are difficult to find on the used market. The 250mm is specifically designed to give you the best soft focus effects on 4x5 although it will cover 5x7. The 300mm Imagon is the lens designed for use with 5x7.

You will find lots of threads on this and other soft focus lenses.

Gerlof Homan
6-Apr-2007, 14:16
The 250 Imagon is one of the modern (although it has been in production for a century) variable focus lenses. It is great for portraiture but there is a learning curve to using it as ou focus differently than you do with a 'regular' lens. If you do get the lens it should come with 1) all three aperture discs which you use variably to set your aperture and 2) the ND filter. A lens hood should also be included and, if it is anolder lens a green filter instead of the ND. The modern version of the lens comes in a #3 shutter and older versions come in a Compound Shutter. They have also been sold without shutters. The price you pay for the lens will vary acording to which shutter it is in. If any of the discs are missing they are difficult to find on the used market. The 250mm is specifically designed to give you the best soft focus effects on 4x5 although it will cover 5x7. The 300mm Imagon is the lens designed for use with 5x7.

You will find lots of threads on this and other soft focus lenses.

Ted, maybe you can help me a bit to judge:
The sellers website:
http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=product&id=1365&parent=20

Armin Seeholzer
6-Apr-2007, 14:48
Hi

I have the same lens since 4 years and mine is from 1990 and this set as it is on the pictures is complete and looks very good to me!
Price is also not to bad, Armin Seeholzer

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2007, 14:49
It is missing the lens hood. If there are any left thet are $75.00. They are a special push-on mount and other hoods will not attach.

Ted Harris
6-Apr-2007, 15:50
Price looks right. You can buy them cheaper but this is a very late model. Looks identical to my 250 which I bought new from Calumet when they were on closeout a few years ago. Bob is right about the hood. You should call him direct at HP Marketing Corp. and get one if they have one left. I shoot with it most of the time or use a compendium hood.

Gerlof Homan
7-Apr-2007, 02:04
It is missing the lens hood. If there are any left thet are $75.00. They are a special push-on mount and other hoods will not attach.

Bob, so I can buy this hood by HP Marketing ? Who is HP Marketing ?

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2007, 02:35
Bob, so I can buy this hood by HP Marketing ? Who is HP Marketing ?

We are the USA distributor for Rodenestock. As well as:

Ansmann, Berlebach, Braun, Combina, Gepe, Heliopan, Kaiser, Linhof, Novoflex, Rimowa, Rodenstock, Vue-All and Wista

Gerlof Homan
7-Apr-2007, 03:18
We are the USA distributor for Rodenestock. As well as:

Ansmann, Berlebach, Braun, Combina, Gepe, Heliopan, Kaiser, Linhof, Novoflex, Rimowa, Rodenstock, Vue-All and Wista

Can you deliver this special hood (used is oke) ?

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2007, 04:21
Can you deliver this special hood (used is oke) ?

I have no idea now. We are closed until Monday. You can call us Monday to check stock 800 735-4373 and to order it. It is a free call to anyone in the USA.

Bill_1856
7-Apr-2007, 07:16
That's a lot of money, and a steep learning curve. The B&W (Zeiss) Softar filter does optically similar to what the Imagon does mechanically, namely provide a central sharp image with superimposed multiple images formed by lenses on the periphery. There is however, unlike the Imagon, no option of any adjustments except two different strengths of softness (#1, #2). True -- it's not the same, but it ain't bad, either.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2007, 07:48
That's a lot of money, and a steep learning curve. The B&W (Zeiss) Softar filter does optically similar to what the Imagon does mechanically, namely provide a central sharp image with superimposed multiple images formed by lenses on the periphery. There is however, unlike the Imagon, no option of any adjustments except two different strengths of softness (#1, #2). True -- it's not the same, but it ain't bad, either.

Bill,

The Softar sold by Heliopan, B+W, Rollei, Hasselblad and Contax does not duplicate what an Imagon can do.

Monte Zucker and Tibor Horvath and Frank Cricchio proved that in their seminars years ago.

Soft with Softar = yes. Diffuse like a Softar - almost. Similar to the Imagon - Nope.

Gerlof Homan
7-Apr-2007, 08:46

Bill, can you tell more about the "steep learning curve"...

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2007, 09:55
Bill, can you tell more about the "steep learning curve"...

There is no "steep" learning curve.

The Imagon wants a 5:1 contrast ratio to halo properly and focus at shooting aperture and don't use umbrellas or other soft light sources.

Then just experiment at various disks and disk openings. The H stop on the disk are close to F stops for exposure.

Ted Harris
7-Apr-2007, 11:03
Geriof,

To repeat Bob's comments, there is no steep learning curve. I use an Imagon as my prime portrait lens. It takes a it of getting used to as you use it differently thatn a standard plasmat but that doesn't equal a steep learning curve. If you search the archives here you will find several threads that go into grat detail on the use of this lens. You can also take a look at the article on Modern Soft Lenses that I wrote for the January-Feburary 2006 issue of View Camera.

If you want some more specifics and/or tips please send me an email.