PDA

View Full Version : Two, somewhat, disparate questions

linuxpng
6-Apr-2007, 08:19
How can you tell if a lens is a gray market lens? I've purchased a Rodenstock from Badger Graphic that didn't have warranty cards (is that my sign?) and after reading about how the local distributer wouldn't honor a warranty with that lens I thought I'd ask. There wasn't an indicator on the Badger site to let me know if it had a USA warranty or not.

Second, and completely unrelated... Do those of you with wooden field cameras find your camera gets beat up from use? I've always been pretty anal about trying to keep my stuff nice but I can't seem to avoid getting nicks and dings in my camera. It's a pretty trivial question, I know. Just curious.

Gene McCluney
6-Apr-2007, 08:27
When you purchase a lens from a highly esteemed vendor such as Badger Graphics, you really are buying the integrity of that dealer. I'm sure Badger would "make good" on any issues you have.

Ash
6-Apr-2007, 08:33
I wiped down the wood field camera (the one I restored) with beeswax. It gave a good indication that even in the house and through mild use it gets a few grazes - the tripod mount already has loads of scratches, but that 'adds character'. I'm not so anal about my gear. As long as I avoid brick walls and concrete floors, my cameras can have some fun flying ;)

Ted Harris
6-Apr-2007, 08:37
To me field=dirt, sand, rocks, water, bugs, mud, slime, trees, sap, animals, etc. My simple point is that if you get too anal with field equipment you will lose opportunities to capture great images. My rule has always been that if it is too nice and too pretty to get scraped and banged then it is too pretty to be mine. Bottom line, I work hard to keep my equipment clean and as near new as possible but, at the end of the day, you can sure tell it has been used. My 10+ years old Canham Tradditional 57 isn't a beater, isn't ugly but there is no way it would ever ever be mistaken for new.

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Apr-2007, 08:47
If you buy a lens, or anything else, from a well regarded vendor such as Badger or Midwest you will be fine if something goes wrong as they will honor your purchase and make it right, so long as the problem was indeed a manufacturing defect.

As for the camera, I was out early this morning in a light mist and snow here in Colorado where I live. My Zone VI got damp and where I was working the tripod got wet and muddy. That is what I am willing to put up with if the situation is unique and the image worth it. Photographing outdoors means you have to be willing to use your gear in all kinds of weather and as Ted mentions, that means getting the gear a little messy at times. To me, good landscape images are made when the weather is not perfect, so don't worry just get out there and photograph. A little TLC for the gear when you get home will keep it working and nice for many years.

Ash
6-Apr-2007, 08:54
I wouldn't let my camera get wet - if it's raining I'd prefer a canopy :D

linuxpng
6-Apr-2007, 09:08
Thank you for all the replies.

My main concern with the lens warranty was just longetivity. Maybe in 10, 15, or however many years down the road it wouldn't be such a big deal to buy it again. I know Badger would do what was reasonable to keep a customer happy, but I wasn't sure how that would translate over the years if something developed.

For the field camera, I take it everywhere and I wasn't sure if I am unusually rough on it. I'll just consider it well loved.

Steve

Vaughn
6-Apr-2007, 09:47
I just want my photos to have beauty...the camera just has to be functional. Thus I have spun my Zone VI 8x10 beauty 180 degrees many a time on the head without worrying about the scratches on the bottom.

And my apologies to Ed K for laughing at his beater 8x10 Deardorf yesterday! Still a fine machine, even though it looks like shit! Whoops, sorry again, Ed!;)

Vaughn

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2007, 10:14
You bought a gray market lens. A lens sold through us comes with the USA Lifetime warranty on the glass and the 3-year warranty on the shutter. The card is enclosed with the lens. Badger is not an authorized dealer of ours so your lens is gray. It was purchased by Badger from a dealer in Europe who may or may have not purchased it directly from the Rodenstyock factory.

All Rodenstock lenses sold by HP Marketing Corp. are purchased by us directly from the Rodenstock factory and are shipped by us directly to our authorized dealers. They are not ourchased from another camera store as the lens you purchased was.

When we ship a lens a HP Marketing label is placed on the lens box so there is no uestion that it was purchased from the authorized Rodenstock USA distrbutor. The only exception to this are lenses sold by Calumet.

Chris Strobel
6-Apr-2007, 10:19
Listen to Ted.I unfortunately fall into the camp of having lost a good photo op because of being too anal with my gear.Its something I need to work on.I figure a couple days in the field with Richard Ritter or Clyde Butcher might de-sensitize me to the whole phobia :D

To me field=dirt, sand, rocks, water, bugs, mud, slime, trees, sap, animals, etc. My simple point is that if you get too anal with field equipment you will lose opportunities to capture great images. My rule has always been that if it is too nice and too pretty to get scraped and banged then it is too pretty to be mine. Bottom line, I work hard to keep my equipment clean and as near new as possible but, at the end of the day, you can sure tell it has been used. My 10+ years old Canham Tradditional 57 isn't a beater, isn't ugly but there is no way it would ever ever be mistaken for new.

linuxpng
6-Apr-2007, 10:45
You bought a gray market lens. A lens sold through us comes with the USA Lifetime warranty on the glass and the 3-year warranty on the shutter. The card is enclosed with the lens. Badger is not an authorized dealer of ours so your lens is gray. It was purchased by Badger from a dealer in Europe who may or may have not purchased it directly from the Rodenstyock factory.

All Rodenstock lenses sold by HP Marketing Corp. are purchased by us directly from the Rodenstock factory and are shipped by us directly to our authorized dealers. They are not ourchased from another camera store as the lens you purchased was.

When we ship a lens a HP Marketing label is placed on the lens box so there is no uestion that it was purchased from the authorized Rodenstock USA distrbutor. The only exception to this are lenses sold by Calumet.

Does the net result of this mean that the lens has no warranty through the local distributer (HP Marketing) or no warranty through Rodenstock?

I just want to take pictures and, being new to photography, I'm not sure I understand how buying gray market affects me.

naturephoto1
6-Apr-2007, 11:04
Does the net result of this mean that the lens has no warranty through the local distributer (HP Marketing) or no warranty through Rodenstock?

I just want to take pictures and, being new to photography, I'm not sure I understand how buying gray market affects me.

It means that the lens has an international warranty since it did not come into the US through HP Marketing (the US importer and distributor of Rodenstock lenses). If there is a problem with the lens or shutter you will have to deal directly with Badger Graphic or the lens will in all likelihood need to be returned to Rodenstock in Germany for any issues.

Rich

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2007, 11:29
" lens has no warranty through the local distributer (HP Marketing) or no warranty through Rodenstock? "

The only warranty in the USA is the distributor warranty. Warranty is the resposibility of the distributor.

If you have a warranty issue with the lens that issue is between you and the importer - in your case a camera store.

If you send the lens back to the factory they will honor their warranty in Germany to the original purchasor. That would be Badger as they bought it from a camera store.

Brian Vuillemenot
6-Apr-2007, 11:36
I just want my photos to have beauty...the camera just has to be functional. Thus I have spun my Zone VI 8x10 beauty 180 degrees many a time on the head without worrying about the scratches on the bottom.

And my apologies to Ed K for laughing at his beater 8x10 Deardorf yesterday! Still a fine machine, even though it looks like shit! Whoops, sorry again, Ed!;)

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn and Ed,

Hope you guys had some good photo sessions together- it was great meeting you and seeing your wonderful prints!

As far as the main question, do not worry about the appearance of your camera. On my trip up the northern California coast last week, my 4X5 Wisner was blown over in wind for the fifth time in as many years. I've learned to bring epoxy glue with me on all my photo trips, so in half an hour, the cracked front standard was as good as new, and I made several wonderful images during the next three days. Plus, I acquired yet another battle scar to give the camera even more character! If you want a camera that's going to get use in the field and make images, buy a (functional) beater. If your camera is nice and new, you will just want to admire it on your shelf and wipe it down with baby wipes!