PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Auckland New Zealand

Dave Morrison
6-Apr-2007, 06:26
Have spent way too many hours over the past week reading some great articles from the members here. Have been heading towards LF for sometime, spending time here has pushed me over the LF cliff. Bought some 4 x5 dark slides on a NZ site (trademe) this evening - now just for the view camera.........

Looking forward to being a part of the LF community.

Walter Calahan
6-Apr-2007, 07:03
You don't need a camera, all you have to do is think LARGE. Grin.

Welcome.

Dave Morrison
6-Apr-2007, 07:31
That’s the issue - have been thinking big for such a long time now... It gets tiring! I enjoyed your website. Particularly the "Cherry Blossom" shot.

Cheers - Dave

Walter Calahan
6-Apr-2007, 07:37
Thanks for taking a look. Get yourself a nice Shen-Hao 4x5 camera with good glass. Then you're in business.

(I don't own a Shen-Hao, but I recently saw one and was very impressed.)

steve simmons
6-Apr-2007, 08:36
You will find a lot of good inf here as wll as the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

here is my usual list of recommendd reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
Using the View Camera that I wrote.

Try your local library or Amazon.com

steve simmons

roteague
6-Apr-2007, 09:37
Hi Dave,

Welcome from your neighbor to the north, Hawaii. I was in Auckland just a couple of years ago visiting some friends (the owner of APUG lives just about 30 km north of Auckland).

As for books, here is my list of recommendations: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/ArticlesTips.aspx?Article=11

I also highly recommend Steve's book as well.

Dave Morrison
6-Apr-2007, 15:18
Thanks for the advice.

Have been reading everyone’s impression on the various cameras to begin with. I feel pretty comfortable in making a decision now. I have seen a LF enlarger for sale, 5x7, if I am successful in getting it, them I may focus on entering at that size. Interestingly, I have not seen that much on the Shen-Hao 5x7 offerings in these pages. I may not have looked hard enough.

Steve, I was in New York in Nov 2005 and I bought my first view camera mag for the flight to England. Sort of scared me at the time. Then forgot all about it, until mid last year I saw a show of a NZ photographer Laurence Aberhart who works in LF and contact prints. Have been buying View Camera on and off since then, and just subscribed through mainline in Aus, last week. I love this mag and wish to find old copies. I will take on board your book list. Many Thanks.

Robert - Nice to have neighbours who take such great photos. Especially liked the one of Lake Pukaki. I have a small obsession for photographing the water. In fact it is the only thing I photography........

I you start seeing hundreds on new threads on photographing water, then you may need to bring on the moderator to shut me down.

I need to state that whilst I live in Auckland , I am in fact an aussie. Have moved between both sides of the Tasman for the last 12 yrs. Appreciate the welcome, and looking forward to contributing to a great forum.

Back to he classifieds!

Dave.

roteague
6-Apr-2007, 16:37
I you start seeing hundreds on new threads on photographing water, then you may need to bring on the moderator to shut me down.

I need to state that whilst I live in Auckland , I am in fact an aussie. Have moved between both sides of the Tasman for the last 12 yrs. Appreciate the welcome, and looking forward to contributing to a great forum.

Back to he classifieds!

Dave.

No worries, I love water images as well. One of the reasons I live in Hawaii. However, I admit to having a love of the desert as well. I've been to Australia a number of times, my last trip was October 2006 and I'm planning on going again this coming September (I may visit Tasmania this time).

Uri Kolet
6-Apr-2007, 22:52
Welcome from the Canadian Rockies, Dave; this is a fine neighbourhood.Cheers, Uri