PDA

View Full Version : Dog stories with Photos

BradS
5-Apr-2007, 11:30
Post a photo of your dog and tell us a story about him or her. I'll start....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/294156740_612a58124a_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bks62464/294156740/)

This is Chai, our new puppy. Her mother was a german short haired pointer mix and her father was a GREAT DANE mix. She is goingt obe a really big mutt when she grows up. She's eight months old now and chews everything....whole bars of soap, fresh cooked bundt cakes (yup, the whole thing!), sprinkler heads...she's even begun to dig up the underground sprinkler system in my back yard! It's pretty funny to watch. Great dog!

Ash
5-Apr-2007, 11:41
I'll add a story about fiddle once I have a large format photo. For now here's some 35mm shots.

A quick shot of Buddy, a rescued JR pup. He's not mine, and he's a nightmare.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/m2cron/Untitled-8.jpg

And here's fiddle

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/m2cron/Untitled-22.jpg

I'll take a LF shot of fiddle ASAP. I have a 10x8 test neg of him sleeping but it's rubbish.

The charms of a Leica M2+Summicron.

Ken Lee
5-Apr-2007, 17:05
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/portraits/jrw.jpg
Some friends with their Swedish Valhund.
Funny how people look like their dogs.
Wisner Technical Field, 300mm Fujinon A
4x5 TMY, Pyrocat HD

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
5-Apr-2007, 19:00
This is Kaleb. He is a 2 1/2 year old pitbull mix. My ex and I rescued him for the CACC on 110th st. in Harlem... he was hours away from execution..

Colin Graham
5-Apr-2007, 19:31
Billie, a heeler mix. She's loosing the sight in her right eye; it gives her a slightly skeptical countenance, but generally she is of good and stable humor. A wonderful dog.

Brian Ellis
5-Apr-2007, 20:33
Our dog Missy who we rescued six years ago when she was a puppy. Missy is no longer with us because she contracted a disease similar to leukemia and went from apparent good health on January 3 to death on January 9. She was a wonderful wonderful dog, my best friend and constant companion.

Marko
5-Apr-2007, 22:05
Molly was a Jagdterrier (German hunting terrier), she spent 15 years with us. She survived three cancer surgeries within a month when she was 11, bounced back as if nothing had happened at all and went on strong for another 4 years. Then she started having pain one day and was gone the next, lung cancer this time. This picture was taken when she was 14.

http://studiothreesixty.com/marko/molly.jpg

Marko
5-Apr-2007, 22:10
BTW, all dogs are wonderful. It'd be great if people could really resemble them...

Eric James
5-Apr-2007, 22:29
This is Sassy - she is from hell.

One afternoon when visiting friends in Seattle I took a break from darkroom work to take the "The Sassulator" on a walk. Imagine my surprise when I came across this Washington license plate, seemingly tailor-made for this mutt!

Yes, Marko - even Sassy is wonderful...in her special way:)

walter23
5-Apr-2007, 23:01
Was this supposed to be LF images? I can't photograph my dog with a view camera (I don't have enough extension for macro work).

Here's a proper portrait:

http://ashphotography.ca/gunther/uploads/pages/unseen/sashagoodIMG_9652.jpg

And here she is defending me from the fuzz-generator. (http://ashphotography.ca/gunther/uploads/pages/unseen/fuzzassIMG_0813.jpg)

Eric James
5-Apr-2007, 23:07
Walter, can she fly?

walter23
5-Apr-2007, 23:44
Walter, can she fly?

Almost; it's more like high-speed hovering at ankle-level.

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
6-Apr-2007, 00:12
Our dog Missy who we rescued six years ago when she was a puppy. Missy is no longer with us because she contracted a disease similar to leukemia and went from apparent good health on January 3 to death on January 9. She was a wonderful wonderful dog, my best friend and constant companion.

What were her symptoms? I had a lab/basset hound mix who developed a tumor in her stomach that no one noticed until it exploded, making her bleed internally. :( We had to put her down a day later...she was only 8. So sad.

sparq
6-Apr-2007, 05:46
Hello, meet Andy, the dog of my life. He was a very sweet and smart Leonberger; an athlete weighing only around 120 pounds. I still miss him, we lost him to cancer 18 months ago.

bdeacon
6-Apr-2007, 08:10
This is Sadie, my 4-year-old golden retriever and dear friend, stiking a "serious" pose. She is an amazing trail finder and has saved me from being lost on numerous occasions. Her only (minor) flaw as a photography companion is an almost unsuppressable urge to swim in mountain lakes and ruin reflection shots. Fortunately she is patient and a good listener, so she is usually content to wait until I'm done shooting to take a dip.

Simon Benton
6-Apr-2007, 09:45
This is Harley, my golden retriever at 8 weeks old - he is now 3 1/2 years old. My youngest daughter Emily, who is now studying in Vet school, fell in love with him when she was helping our local vet on his rounds. The owner could not afford to keep the large litter and gave them away to good homes. As Emily has been away from home for 2 years now Harley has adopted me. He is a great character with abundant energy and lives to chase and retrieve his tennis balls. Loves to swim, be it in lakes, rivers, ditches or puddles.

Padu Merloti
6-Apr-2007, 10:33
http://padu.smugmug.com/photos/137910316-L.jpg

This is Negao. He's 3 yrs old and we got him when he was a puppy from the shelter.

We thought he was a lab-mix, but as he started to grow, his legs didn't. One morning one of his ears started to go pointy, the next week the other. He developed an underbite, which makes him look scary with his two fangs showing, like a hog (usually only one is visible). People thing he is a corgi. Actually, at the local sea world san diego, one of the dogs of the "pet's rule" show is identical to him, and his trainer said it is a corgi.... well my dog is a weirdo... but we love him so much!

We live in San Diego, but we are originally from Brasil. His name, Negao, means "big black", or "big negro". In Brasil, that's not offensive, but we thought it might be here, so we gave him a second name... dinno. He didn't like that name, so we kept negao.

:)

Ken Lee
6-Apr-2007, 17:52
Brett - Great portrait. Great dog.

Brian Ellis
6-Apr-2007, 23:16
What were her symptoms? I had a lab/basset hound mix who developed a tumor in her stomach that no one noticed until it exploded, making her bleed internally. :( We had to put her down a day later...she was only 8. So sad.

Sorry to hear that story, it sounds awful and I certainly sympathize with your loss. Missy's symptoms started on a Monday with not eating and extreme lethargy, difficulty walking, instability when she did walk and sometimes a seeming disorientation, whites of her eyes turning yellow as her liver malfunctioned, finally an inability to walk at all. We had to carry her into the vet's office on a stretcher for her last visit on the following Sunday. There's a name for the disease though no one apparently knows the cause. I've put the name out of my mind but my wife would know if anyone's dog develops similar symptoms and is interested.

BradS
4-Jun-2007, 09:17
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/528881712_b596fda9ff.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bks62464/528881712/)

Here's a more recent photo of Chai.

Canham Traditional 4x5
Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N
Kodak Tri-X 320TXP
f/22, 1/60
homemade D-76 (closer to Konica SD-28), 22C, 5+ minutes with continuous rotational agitation.

r.e.
4-Jun-2007, 10:15
This is Libby taking in the view a couple of weeks ago on the ferry from New London, Connecticut to Orient Point, Long Island. She is a four year old Miniature Schnauzer. Her five year old half-sister, Buka, isn't in the photo because at the time she was half standing on the bench that I was sitting on, and half standing on my thigh, investigating the camera's potential as a toy.

Libby was acquired at the age of one, as a companion for Buka, when her owners gave her back to the breeder. They wanted a show dog, and Libby had a flaw - her teeth were growing in crooked. Buka was not impressed with the sudden appearance of this interloper, but grew to like the idea when she figured out that she could be the boss. Or so she thinks. There is reason to believe that Libby is the real boss, humouring her sister's dreams of playing alpha. As for the teeth, which was potentially a serious problem (migraines, canine removal), it turns out that there are orthodontic vets who can do wonders with braces :)

I am actually the dogs' uncle, but I like to think of them as my own. I used to think that Standard French Poodles and Border Collies and Portugese Water Dogs were the only dogs worth having, but these two have won my heart. Besides, Miniature Schnauzers have some Poodle in their blood line. Wonderful dogs, lots of heart. These two live on Long Island, where they are favourites of the neighbourhood kids and are apparently responsible for a dramatic increase in the number of local Schnauzer owners. If Buka and Libby had their way, they would also be responsible for a dramatic decrease in the number of neighbourhood squirrels, but alas, they are not adept at climbing walls and trees.

When I have figured out Photoshop enough to pull out a tad more detail in the shadow area of her eye without making a mess of the rest of the photograph, I'm going to try printing this.

Fuji Pro400H, Leica M3 double stroke made in 1955, 90mm Elmarit-M

Benno Jones
4-Jun-2007, 13:14
Alas, I have no dog and all my dog photography has been on 35mm. However, shooting my father and his dogs for his final book was an experience I'll always be grateful for. 15 months after shooting the pictures, my father and 2 of the three dogs were all gone (my father and one dog to cancer, the other dog to old age).

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Dogs-Life-Canine-Compainions/dp/1592282202/ref=sr_1_15/105-8559807-5460462?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180987673&sr=1-15

Joakim Ahnfelt
4-Jun-2007, 13:20
Here's my little friend. Found him on Isle of Skye at Talisker bay, bothering an old sheep skull. He followed me home. My Ma wouldn't let me keep him.

Eric James
4-Jun-2007, 13:22
I'll look for your book Benno. The cover photo looks very nice. There's nothing like the challenge of capturing a black dog. Sorry for your loss.

Curt Palm
4-Jun-2007, 14:16
http://curtpalm.com/images/millie.jpg

Millie - Dobie X something

Greg Lockrey
4-Jun-2007, 14:24
Mugzy being "protected" by Godiva.

r.e.
4-Jun-2007, 14:53
I love the range of photographs in this thread, from the elegance of Ken Lee's portrait to the humour of Greg Lockrey's shot. Benno, any chance of posting a photograph or two from the book?

Rory_5244
4-Jun-2007, 15:42
This is Wisp. Rescued as a starving stray, now turned into a fat fuzzy sheep.

Benno Jones
4-Jun-2007, 16:03
Re shooting a black dog: I did the shoots for the book on a Nikon F-100 (possibly my old N-70, I can't recall right now) with an SB-26 flash and a diffuser and generally shot in program mode (sometimes aperture-priority). I then printed the pictures myself giving me the ability to dodge the black dog when necessary.

I'll see what I've got scanned at home and post a couple of the shots tonight.

Josh Z.
4-Jun-2007, 16:30
http://joshzamor.com/images/lucyPose.jpg

This is Lucy, though her full name is Lucy-fur of course :)

She was rescued when she was 8 months from a local animal shelter. She is a great photo companion, always dutifully guarding the camera bag as shown here. She has a thing for cats, though cats often find her quite stressful. In fact just yesterday evening she sent a young mountain lion scurrying for the protection of the forest. Or perhaps it was due to me making a racket as usual coming up the trail.

Greg Lockrey
4-Jun-2007, 16:42
Looks like you missed her neck with that collar, Josh. :D

Josh Z.
4-Jun-2007, 17:02
Looks like you missed her neck with that collar, Josh. :D

Well... I was at elevation...

No... In all seriousness it's called a Gentle Leader. It goes around the head and the snout and basically takes the place of a choke collar or pinch collar. It prevents her from pulling on the lead by turning her head to look back when she does pull. After using it for awhile though, she now knows that when she has it on, it's all business.

Greg Lockrey
4-Jun-2007, 17:27
I know, I was just joshin' ya , Josh. :) :D

Ron McElroy
6-Jun-2007, 07:51
Here's my 2 current weims, Shelby in the red colar and Higgins in the blue. They are both rescues that we adopted them from Weim Rescue of the South in June 2006.

Shelby lived in Ocean Springs, MS and her family would not keep her and her mom fenced even after Shelby had a broken leg from a car. Animal control picked them up and placed them in rescue. We almost lost Shelby to a nasty infection of the same leg last Christmas. She had surgery to remove all the old infected hardware in her ankle and is still in rehab. Shelby has an imobilizer that she wears when active.

Higgins survived a nasty abuse case in Gulfport, MS. He was one of about 10 dogs that an old man had in Gulfport. All the dogs were placed in a kennel until after the trial and then rescue has 5 days to get them all out or they would be euthanized. Higgins shuffled through several foster homes for about a year and ahalf before we found him. He's turning into a real sweetie and ladies man.

Shelby and Higgins had not met each other until the day we adopted them in Atlanta and brought them home. After the initial sorting out of the pack structure, they have become great friends. This picture is of them at our neighborhood book store, Burkes Books, where they are frequent visitors.

timbo10ca
6-Jun-2007, 10:27
Well, I haven't tried using the view camera for my dogs yet- but you've given me an idea to try (they've been heavily photographed since birth, and pose quite well, as you can see- they love the camera- it means TREATS!). So here they are with my 35mm camera. Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dumb, and Tweedle Dumber. Jasper (Tweedle Dee) loooooooves the water! I can get away with making them look ridculous, since I'm their vet as well as their food provider. Middle is Hannah, on the right (Tweedle Dumber) is Bailey. No, they are not related.....

Tim

Eric James
6-Jun-2007, 13:25
Beach Partrol: Ursa (a giant malamute pup) explores the beach on her first trip to the ocean (Kachemak Bay, Homer AK).

ASRafferty
12-Jun-2007, 09:10
Here's another Shelby, ours... taken by Ted at an opportune moment! Also here is Jeff, our Shepherd who left us at age 13 two weeks ago... this shot has graced our Christmas cards for years.

Sanjay Sen
20-Jun-2007, 09:35
This is such a great thread with wonderful stories and great images.

While I haven't taken any photos of our dog on LF, here's a "portrait" of her in 35mm. This is April, a pit bull-lab mix who we fostered and then adopted from an animal shelter when she was six months old. Within her first six months of life she had already gone through two homes, two shelters, had mange and was abused. She has been with us for about three years now and rules the house with her unlimited energy. She loves playing in the snow, and has recently discovered that she loves the water too - except when we mention "it's bath time now"!