PDA

View Full Version : LF camera FINE ART for Portraiture work

Gerlof Homan
5-Apr-2007, 07:07
I am new in this forum and (dutch)LF beginner. What is the most suited (practical) LF camera(system) for (environment) outdoor portraiture/nude photography. I am looking at the Wista 45SP/VX, Toyo 45AII. For instance is a Wista Reflex Viewer a helpfull tool to compose outdoors.
Thanks ahead for responding ! Gerlof Homan

Ralph Barker
5-Apr-2007, 07:37
Both the Wista and Toyo cameras would be suitable for what you describe, depending on where your personal preferences fall with respect to the wood versus metal design. The Toyo has a slightly longer bellows extension - 321mm versus 300 on the Wista. Depending on your portraiture style (long lenses vs. "normal" or "slightly long"), the limited bellows draw on field cameras may be a limiting factor for you. If you like doing tight head shots with long lenses, you may need to opt for a monorail with more bellows, or accessories that will give you more extension.

If you lean toward the Toyo, consider the 45AX. It's the same as the 45AII, but with the reversible back, rather than the rotating back. That saves weight and about $500, if purchased new. Both Toyo backs are Graflok, so Graflok-based roll film backs can be used, too.

FWIW, I have the Toyo reflex viewer for my 45AX, and find it a bit bulky to carry into the field. Additionally, the magnification provided isn't sufficient for fine focusing. Thus, I just use the Toyo folding hood, along with a darkcloth and a loupe.

steve simmons
5-Apr-2007, 07:52
The 45SP has been one of my favorites for years. It is a tough little camera with many nice features. I also like a 240mm lens which would be fine for portraiture and should work well on the SP. The Fuji 240A is a classic, it is very sharp and small. It's max apeture is small so I would recommend a screen brightener which will give about 2 stops of brightness increase on your ground glass. You could also consider a Technika, model 4 or newer which would give you a little more bellows extension

As I generally do to beginners I recommend some reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Using the View Camera that i wrote.

Try your local library or Amazon.com

also

the Free Articles section of the View Camera magazine web site

www.viewcamera.com

There are several articles there that you might find helpful

good luck

steve simmons
publisher, View Camera magazine

Ron Marshall
5-Apr-2007, 07:56
You might consider the Canham woodfield, it has a maximum bellows of 660mm, and folds to a very compact size.

See the review by the founder of this site:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/canham/canham.html

Official site:

http://www.canhamcameras.com/Traditionalf.html

Walter Calahan
5-Apr-2007, 09:48
I use a KB Canham light weight wood field camera.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers/Bio.html

Work I've done with it: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers/Carroll%20County.html

Have fun with whatever you buy. The lens you use is more important than the camera. The brain you use is more important than the lens.

Ted Harris
5-Apr-2007, 09:49
Sticking with your original choices and ading a bit. If you go the Toyo route then consider (if you can find one) the Toyo 45AII-L this a a model that is only sold in Europe. It is identical in every way with the standard AII with one exception, the front standard has been reengineered to take Technika/Wista style boards. This hange gives you a tiny bit more rise but more importantly allows you to use shorter lenses on flat boards if you were itending to use the camera with the Toyo to Technika adapter. Downside is that new they cost several hundred more, used there is no price difference AFAIK.

richard brown
5-Apr-2007, 12:10
For years, I used my toyo 45A and loved it. Have moved to a monorail plus an ebony field and am selling my toyo...check the for sale section back 5 or 6 days...and if you want to shoot roll film on it, i have a sliding back with mamiya press film holders (6x7 and 6x9). and the linhof board adapter is available. let me know before i move it to the auction site......
and you will love large format, i am sure!!! all the best, richard brown

Gerlof Homan
6-Apr-2007, 09:38
Sticking with your original choices and ading a bit. If you go the Toyo route then consider (if you can find one) the Toyo 45AII-L this a a model that is only sold in Europe. It is identical in every way with the standard AII with one exception, the front standard has been reengineered to take Technika/Wista style boards. This hange gives you a tiny bit more rise but more importantly allows you to use shorter lenses on flat boards if you were itending to use the camera with the Toyo to Technika adapter. Downside is that new they cost several hundred more, used there is no price difference AFAIK.

My supplier said:
The Toyo 45 AII-L is a normal 45 AII + linhof to toyo lensboard adapter...........

Toyo 45AII body euro 1425
Toyo linhof to toyo adapter (#1631) euro 150