PDA

View Full Version : Lee filter adapter ring caps

Ed Pierce
4-Apr-2007, 09:19
Apparently Lee is now producing lens caps to fit over their adapter rings...I found them on the Robert White site: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/lee.htm.

Has anyone tried them?

Does anyone know if they are available in the US?

Henri Lourdelet
4-Apr-2007, 09:41
I have them on all my LEE adaptors screwed on lenses. I like them as now my LEE adaptors stay on permanently.

Doug Dolde
5-Apr-2007, 18:16
Are they one size fits any size adapter ring?

ADG
6-Apr-2007, 04:01
Hi
Apparently ben & jerries (sp?) or similar ice cream tub lids fit perfectly.

Marko Trebusak
9-Apr-2007, 22:48
Are they one size fits any size adapter ring?

Doug, since outside diameter of Lee's adapter ring is the same for all adapters rings (otherwise they would not fit filter holder), "lens caps" must fit all adapter ring sizes.

Marko

Struan Gray
10-Apr-2007, 00:02
Doug, since outside diameter of Lee's adapter ring is the same for all adapters rings (otherwise they would not fit filter holder), "lens caps" must fit all adapter ring sizes.

You would think so wouldn't you.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. A sensible thing to have done would be to make a cap that fits onto the bevelled rim that the lenshoods and filter holders clip onto. These really are the same for all LEE adapters. For reason's best known to the head designer's girlfriend, LEE decided to make the caps fit over the outer rim of the adapter, and that is different for some of the larger sizes. The caps do not fit all LEE adapters.

I bought some of the lens caps when they first came out, but never use them. In addition to the above problem they don't fit very well: they rattle about when on, and provide no seal whatsoever against dust, lint or moisture. Also, they are a fairly stiff plastic, so although they don't fit properly, they are hard to remove.

If you can find an ice cream pot lid that fits the bevelled lip, it will be infinitely better than the LEE solution, and cheaper too. Failing that, clip-in lenscaps grip securely on the inside lip of the adapter. For LF, I have one large adapter on an external filter holder: small lenses end up entirely within the lenshood.

Ed Pierce
12-Apr-2007, 06:39
Thanks Struan for the practical advice; you've saved me the trouble of trying the Lee caps.

A Ben & Jerry's cap is a little too big for the smaller front lip and a little too small for the bigger rear lip of the adapter. It was a tasty experiment.

I could line the cap with felt to fit the front lip. I am concerned, however, that the cardboard wouldn't hold up very long. Also I would miss the bulletproof protection of the original Schneider caps.

I like the idea of the snap-in cap...will check it out.

Struan Gray
12-Apr-2007, 07:04
I had to work through at least five pots to convince myself that I really did need an ice cream that came with a round lid. :-)