PDA

View Full Version : Need Exposure / Development Help

alec4444
4-Apr-2007, 08:55
Hey Guys - was trying the 11x14 out for some portrait shots and forgot to add time to compensate for the longer bellows draw. Was shooting nearly 1:1. Any idea of the amount of time (in minutes or as a percentage) that I should add to the standard 10 minute development? I was thinking 30 - 50% would do. (So perhaps 14 mins instead of 10?)

Thanks!
--A

Ron Marshall
4-Apr-2007, 09:09
You will need a two stop push, which requires a 100% increase in development time.

Ole Tjugen
4-Apr-2007, 09:13
At the very least, use a speed-increasing developer!

Michael Graves
4-Apr-2007, 09:23
Hey Guys - was trying the 11x14 out for some portrait shots and forgot to add time to compensate for the longer bellows draw. Was shooting nearly 1:1. Any idea of the amount of time (in minutes or as a percentage) that I should add to the standard 10 minute development? I was thinking 30 - 50% would do. (So perhaps 14 mins instead of 10?)

Thanks!
--A

Must have been something in the air. I was out shooting over the weekend and did some closeup detail work at an old paper mill in New Hampshire. I forgot to compensate for bellows extension also. Only I didn't think about it until gazing in despair at the REALLY thin negatives.

In my defense, I didn't say a single bad word.

I said a whole bunch of them.

Mark Sampson
4-Apr-2007, 09:25
Try developing one sheet 50% longer, and one twice as long, as your normal time. One of them will be printable. Since you'll be contact printing, the increased grain won't be visible, but your shadows will be darker than you expected. (How much to increase development depends to some extent on the lighting contrast of the original scene.)Ole's advice to use a speed-increasing developer sounds good, that should help a little with the underexposure. Admittedly I've never tried Acufine with LF...

Brian C. Miller
4-Apr-2007, 10:08
... REALLY thin negatives.

Now is the time to use a negative intensifier (http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=9&CategoryID=39&langID=0)!

alec4444
4-Apr-2007, 17:07
Thanks, guys! I didn't have any fancy schmancy chemicals here at home, really, so I used the normal Rodinal 1:50 for 18 mins instead of 10. One neg is pretty good, the other is a little thin. I think all in all I'm pretty lucky (and happy) with the results...thanks!

--A