PDA

View Full Version : loose filter

Ray Dunn
8-Jun-2000, 21:18
I have a B+W polarizer in which the filter element has begun to rattle a little bit. It's in no danger of falling out, but the rattle is annoying. Is there a way to tighten the glass up? It looks like there is a seating ring that could b e screwed in, but there is no way to get a tool to grip it for tightening. Has anyone else had this happen?

Brent Flint
8-Jun-2000, 22:22
I recently purchased a Tiffen polarizer with this problem (probably loosened during shipping.) I was able to find an almost microscopic slit on the seating ring and used a small screwdriver (the kind for eyeglasses) to push it 'round 'n 'round til it tightened

Ross Martin
9-Jun-2000, 00:18
I've had it happen on a B+W KR3 filter. The glass does screw back in. The local camera shop salesman used a small thin layer of rubber material to just barely grip the retaining ring, being careful to not scratch the glass.

R. McDonald
9-Jun-2000, 03:10
Please hear me out before you ask if I'm nutz.... My background is in making instruments (measuring,watches,clocks,etc.). I would advise that if you do not have the "exact" holding tool and the correct bezel wrench you risk disaster! As an apprentice I made a small fortune for my Master(Slave Driver) while learning to fix these botched repairs. There are several reasons that this simple repair can go very bad. It seems that in an effort to reduce manufacturing costs (most will claim it's to save weight ), many of these fine parts are made from soft easily machined materials. Just the simple act of holding it tight enough to get a good shot at the retainer, is enough to distort beyond repair without even knowing it. Secondly it is my experience that many manufacturers use a thread lock (AKA - GLUE) so that loose fitting retainers (simply due to normal mfg. tolerances) can be secured without causing the above problem. And the more common problem, is due to the fact that in an effort to make these fine parts look good (and hide a multitude of sins) these parts are finished in various ways (Anodizing, Black oxide, Plating,etc.) most if not all of these processes use caustic solutions, which can promote oxidation in the very fine threads when not completely cleaned and lubricated before assembly. And this can also be caused by environmental contamination(The slow Container Ship from somewhere on the other side of the globe, those of us who make exposures of strange things in less than ideal environments, just name a few). Once the oxidation and or dirt is in, it's not so proper place, You (and sometimes even the professional) DON'T STAND A CHANCE!! Please note that the above is applicable to many parts other than the filter in question. OK with all that said here is my solution(and even the most unhandy, Slack Jawed Slob, can Safely do this repair) simply visit your local Watch or Clock Maker (NOT the battery changer in the Mall!!!) and ask Him or Her to secure it with three to four spots of Crystal Cement. Explain that it does not need to be Water-Proof to 50 meters, it only needs to be secured to prevent damage and eliminate the rattle. There are generally two types of cement, one for Glass and the other for Plastic. Now if your mind works like mine, some of you are asking why waste the time!?! I'll just use a drop of SUPER GLUE!! All I can say is if you have not had this experience, Please be prepared to be very disappointed. Not only do you risk FOG on your glass even after soaking in Super Glue Remover as it continues to seep out from everywhere, but you also risk that the Super Glue might just do it's job and make this assembly into one none repairable mass. The Crystal Cement is designed for this, is removable, will not flow into the whole assembly, is CRYSTAL CLEAR, and best of all, when you ask how much do I owe you-- I would be very shocked if you were charged at all.

I hope this helps and as always, remember the above is just one man's opinion MAC

Dave Anton
13-Jun-2000, 04:27
In some instances, the retainig ring will come loose on a filter. If this is the case you can try to tighten this ring by wearing a tight latex glove, carefully placing your fingers evenly around the retaining ring and turning your hand. This normally works for larger filters. be careful so as not to scratch the surface of the glass.

As the previous post noted, manufacturers will use softer materials for producing these filter rings, but the reason for this, is to not damage the threads on your lens in case of cross-threading. Cross threading with softer material on the filter will damage the threads on your filter instead of your lens thread. A damaged filter thread is cheaper to replace!

I do not beleive that manufacturers use softer materials to increase their profit margins. Aluminum may be softer and quicker to mill, but it is also a "sticky" metal and will quickly damage milling bits. Filter rings come mostly in either aluminum or brass. Heliopan uses brass for its rings. Brass has self-lubricating properties that give it an advantage to prevent thread-lock when tightening a filter onto a lens.

With regards to glue, I only recomend using glue on the retaining ring if it continues to become loose. By applying glue on the ring, you always run the risk of getting it into other filter threads which will prevent you from being able to screw-on other filters. I hope this helps. Regards. Dave.