PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 400-series 4x5

Doug Kerr
2-Apr-2007, 17:17
As many of you may know, my study and collecting of large-format cameras has bene concentrated on products of the Graflex dynasty, and I've learned a lot in that milieu.

But I just rather unexpectedly bought at auction (not at Sotheby's) a lovely-looking Calumet 4x5 view camera (which I understand is a 400-series machine), and so I'm starting over! So I may need to prevail on the hospitality of the experts here to help me into this new area.

For openers, I would be interested in over what span of years was this series of camera made. And, if they have serial numbers (mine's not in hand yet), is there any serial number to date correspondence available?

Thanks, gang.

Mark Sampson
3-Apr-2007, 04:57
Here are some educated guesses. The camera was introduced as the Kodak Master View camera around 1948. By 1956, EK had sold the design to Calumet, then mostly a maker of stainless steel darkroom sinks. Calumet made the camera in huge numbers into the middle 1980s; the later ones were painted black. The long-rail (CC402?) and short-rail architecture versions were introduced by Calumet. They were intended as student cameras,and in the 1970's were regularly advertised in Pop Photo (and similar magazines)for $149.95. If the Speed Graphic is the WW2 Jeep of LF cameras, then the Calumet is the VW Beetle. I used one on the job for some years- and Kirk Gittings, a far better photogrpher than me, still uses them.

Ernest Purdum
3-Apr-2007, 08:28
The same camera was also sold by Burke & James as the "Orbit". Both Calumet and B&J made some revisions to the original Kodak design. Calumet produced a long-bellows model, the CC-401 and, later, the wide angle CC-402. B&J's several variations included some called "Saturn".

The last I knew, Calumet still was providing some support for these.

There is lots more information available in an article which I think is titled "Cheap View Cameras" at the bottom of the Home page.

Doug Kerr
3-Apr-2007, 12:49
Hi, Mark,

Thanks so much. That is very helpful.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr
3-Apr-2007, 12:58
Hi, Ernest,

There is lots more information available in an article which I think is titled "Cheap View Cameras" at the bottom of the Home page.

Thanks so much for the scoop.

The article you reference is very valuable. Is the writer reliable?:)

I note that the "long rail" version was the CC-401, and see elsewhere that its rail was 22" long. The one I bought is said by the seller to have about a 26" rail. Do we know what model that is? (Maybe there is a model number on the nameplate, but I am led to believe that this is not usually so for these machines.)

The seller said the old timer he got the camera from said it was a "Brooks Special". Sounds to me that this might have been a special model that Brooks Institute had made to sell to their students.

Best regards,

Doug

Bill Koechling
3-Apr-2007, 13:23
Hi, Ernest,

Thanks so much for the scoop.

The article you reference is very valuable. Is the writer reliable?:)

I note that the "long rail" version was the CC-401, and see elsewhere that its rail was 22" long. The one I bought is said by the seller to have about a 26" rail. Do we know what model that is? (Maybe there is a model number on the nameplate, but I am led to believe that this is not usually so for these machines.)

The seller said the old timer he got the camera from said it was a "Brooks Special". Sounds to me that this might have been a special model that Brooks Institute had made to sell to their students.

Best regards,

Doug

I bought mine in 1972 at Calumet in Illinois. It was the standard model that had a 16" rail. I used it a long, long time on almost a daily basis.

Bill

Merg Ross
3-Apr-2007, 16:10
Doug-

I think the confusion of rail length may be due to the construction of the camera. The Model CC-401 has a 22" bellows extension mounted on a rail of approximately 26". Hence, the carrying case for the CC-401 measures 27 1/2 inches in length.

Jim Rice
3-Apr-2007, 17:11
I had the Kodak version, it served me well for years. A very intuitive camera, just not the easiest to carry (not the hardest either as my current C-1 has taught me). Calumet still supplies lensboards and ground glasses.