PDA

View Full Version : Grandagon 90mm f9 ???

kevin kelly
2-Apr-2007, 12:37
I've come across a Grandagon f9 90mm on ebay. I've googled it and came up with no information. Can anyone help with the pros and cons of this lens?

Ed Richards
2-Apr-2007, 12:46
Typo? What I am curious about is the 80mm Grandagon that is listed: Item number: 250098569328

Oren Grad
2-Apr-2007, 13:08
Kevin, the seller in that eBay UK listing has posted an answer updating the aperture specification to f/6.8.

Ed, I think I've seen the 80mm Grandagon turn up for sale maybe once or twice a year in recent years. If you Google it you'll find a single discussion board post cross-referenced all over, in which Bob Salomon reports the image circle as 165mm.

Ted Harris
2-Apr-2007, 13:16
Yup, probably a typo since AFAIK there never was such a beast. BTW, I couldn't find the isting.

Ed, very interesting. I'mm assuming it is not a Grandagon but something else since all we see is the 80mm and 1:5. Bob Salomon ..... info please.

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Apr-2007, 13:29
Ed, very interesting. I'mm assuming it is not a Grandagon but something else since all we see is the 80mm and 1:5. Bob Salomon ..... info please.

Ted,

It's a Grandagon alright. The original Grandagon series, consisting of the 58mm that was made for the Graflex XL line and the 80mm were f5.6 lenses. What you're seeing in teh photos is 1:5.6 with the 6 obscurred by the glare from the flash unit used to take the photos. The 80mm is rather huge, single coated and has tight coverage on 4x5 (165mm IC as Oren mentioned). The price on the one currently on eBay is way too high. For less money, you can have a 75mm f4.5 Nikkor SW that's 2- - 30 years newer, multicoated, faster, much smaller and has a 200mm IC. I can't understand why someone would pay more for an older, heavier, bigger, single coated lens with less coverage.

Kerry

kevin kelly
2-Apr-2007, 14:07
Ahh!! It was a typo. The f9 had me a litle bamboozeld. And yes He' s corrected it to f6.8.

Thanks

Ted Harris
2-Apr-2007, 17:05
Kerry, Ahhhhhh .... you joged my memory. Someyears ago I owned one of those beasties for my XL. Performance never impressed me but that was true of the whole system so I won't complain. If memory serves I remember a Norita 80mm for the XL that seemed superior.