PDA

View Full Version : To do or not to do, shuttering an unique barrel lens

Richard Årlin
2-Apr-2007, 10:32
Posted this as an answer in a wrong tread I believe... nobody would have found it and there was just one previous comment.......

I have been particularly interested in the Cooke Taylor-Hobson VIIb wideangle anastigmats ever since I first saw the tiny little 82 mm, which I don't have. However I have aquired a mysterious 133 mm engraved f/ 6,3 (not 6,5) in barrel which I have put in a linhof board thornton pickard shutter rebuilt from parts. (actually I bought it mistakedly listed as an 82mm) I also have a 108mm and a 158 mm both in shutters. Would it be reasonable to have Grimes put it in a small shutter, then serial number on the f-stop ring would be gone, considering it may be an unique misengraved lens and thus be an interesting collectors item ? There are some other treads concerning this particular lens. They really should start making a new batch of it.

Richard

Pete Roody
2-Apr-2007, 11:01
Posted this as an answer in a wrong tread I believe... nobody would have found it and there was just one previous comment.......

I have been particularly interested in the Cooke Taylor-Hobson VIIb wideangle anastigmats ever since I first saw the tiny little 82 mm, which I don't have. However I have aquired a mysterious 133 mm engraved f/ 6,3 (not 6,5) in barrel which I have put in a linhof board thornton pickard shutter rebuilt from parts. (actually I bought it mistakedly listed as an 82mm) I also have a 108mm and a 158 mm both in shutters. Would it be reasonable to have Grimes put it in a small shutter, then serial number on the f-stop ring would be gone, considering it may be an unique misengraved lens and thus be an interesting collectors item ? There are some other treads concerning this particular lens. They really should start making a new batch of it.

Richard

If you plan on using all 3 lenses on the same camera, you can save money by front mounting the lenses to one shutter. You could have SK Grimes make the same bayonet or screw mount for each lens and modify the shutter to accept all the lenses. Aperture control would be from the barrel's of the individual lenses.

Richard Årlin
9-Apr-2007, 09:01
Actually it was a kinda "etical" query whether or not to separate parts of an unique lens to put it in a shutter.....

Rob_5419
9-Apr-2007, 14:05
I'm (personally) not keen on separating lens into a shutter in that respect.

Your Taylor Hobsons are more recent vintage (being marked in millimetres rather than inches) and possibly will fit in a standard lens panel over another accessory shutter type.

I take it you have explored the Packard shutter option (front or rear mounted to the front standard) and then placed behind the lens unit. Another elegant solution would be to use a similar approach to a Thornton Pickard shutter unit although these usually come with fixed cut-out apertures which can make it impossible to use with the Taylor Hobson lenses.

133mm is around 5 1/4 inches: Ross made similar Tessar type as the Taylor Hobson variations although the Ross types are much easier to mount. I've seen Ross 5 1/4" in Copal 1 shutters which is very handy. The Taylor Hobson types, particularly the older brass ones, don't fit in anything well for me and therefore I find it easier to use on 5x4" with a Sinar autoshutter.

I find the external iris shutters very unsightly and unbecoming, and choose not to use these - you might still consider this option though.

Mark Sawyer
12-Apr-2007, 16:38
If you plan on using all 3 lenses on the same camera, you can save money by front mounting the lenses to one shutter. You could have SK Grimes make the same bayonet or screw mount for each lens and modify the shutter to accept all the lenses. Aperture control would be from the barrel's of the individual lenses.

Yes, you can do this, but use an over-sized shutter to avoid mechanical vignetting issues, which are a problem with front-mounted barrel lenses, and especially w/ wide angle lenses. And remember, it's somewhat risky and a bit of a pain to be swapping elements back and forth in the field...

BTW, what shutter does your 158mm Cooke mount into? (I have a beautiful set of Cooke 158mm cells with no shutter or barrel...)