PDA

View Full Version : Schneider SA 90mm XL removable rear flange? Serial Numbers ->

akalai
2-Apr-2007, 06:18
Does anyone know from what serial number onwards does the Schenider Super Angulon 90mm XL have the removable rear flange?

Hope I haven't missed a previous thread that has covered this but I have done a search and wasn't able to find this info. Thanks.

akalai
3-Apr-2007, 19:34
Were many of these lenses made without the removable rear flange.... would I be incredibly unlucky to end up with one? Why I ask is that I know of one for sale but am unable to see it in the flesh and doubt the seller is knowledgeable enough to be able to work out what the rear flange is let alone if it is removable.

Any scraps of information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph Barker
4-Apr-2007, 07:11
My 90mm SA XL has the usual flange or retaining ring that screws onto the back of the shutter in the usual manner to hold the lens board. Due to the narrow "waist" of the lens design, however, the diameter of the retaining ring is rather small, and might be hidden by the rear element in a photo of the lens.

poco
4-Apr-2007, 10:32
Ralph,

I think he's talking about the flange on the end of the outer rear element that screws off to make the diameter smaller -- a feature I discovered only after I'd gotten mine and cut a bigger opening in my front standard :rolleyes:

akalai
4-Apr-2007, 19:44
Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back but just to make things clear, as "poco" stated, I am talking about the removable flange on the rear element.

Apparently not all SA 90mm XL's have this feature but I am unsure at what point this was introduced (serial number?) or if there were so few of the early XL lenses made without this feature as to make them rare and therefore unlikely that I would ever end up with one. For convenience sake I would prefer to get one with the removable rear flange.

So any ideas?

poco
5-Apr-2007, 04:55
akalai,

FWIW, mine, which has the flange, is of fairly recent vintage with serial # 14839807

I think you'll need to send the question to Schneider for a definitive answer.

akalai
5-Apr-2007, 17:50
Thank you Poco!

John Hennessy
5-Apr-2007, 23:57
Mine has the removable rear flange and its number is 14790xxx. So that is a bit lower number then the prior post

By the way I had SK Grimes make a rear lens cap so that I would not need to replace the rear flange to put away the lens. Maybe any additional ones they make are cheaper because the mold (die or whatever) is already done. Any old lens cap of the right diameter would not do because it needs to be extra deep and have a stop to accommodate the convex rear element.

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 21:28
This is an old thread that was referred too in a new thread and I'm RESURRECTING it for posterity... No one has yet posted a picture of said flange feature, would someone please do so that has the removable flange? It would be useful to see it to know what to look for.

Arne Croell
31-Jan-2015, 01:50
This is an old thread that was referred too in a new thread and I'm RESURRECTING it for posterity... No one has yet posted a picture of said flange feature, would someone please do so that has the removable flange? It would be useful to see it to know what to look for.
Here are some pics - the 90 SAXL with flange installed, flange removed, and back view of the rear cell. The flange feature can be spotted by the gap on the back side of the rear cell (arrow).

Phil Hudson
31-Jan-2015, 02:50
And mine showing the same.....

StoneNYC
31-Jan-2015, 07:54
Here are some pics - the 90 SAXL with flange installed, flange removed, and back view of the rear cell. The flange feature can be spotted by the gap on the back side of the rear cell (arrow).

And mine showing the same.....

Thanks guys, that's perfect! Very interesting too, I wonder if the removal of the flange gives a little bit extra coverage? Obviously it probably wouldn't be up to Schneider standards, but still could be interesting to see how the removal affects the IC.

Thanks.

ic-racer
31-Jan-2015, 08:21
The flange protects the rear element in case you set it down on the rear cell. It has no optical function. Other lenses have this feature, for example the Topcor LF 90/5.6 needs to have the flange removed to fit through the front standard of the Horseman FA. In fact just last month I was in a panic because I could not find my flange. Found it attached to the rear lenscap in the bottom of a drawer. It is a good idea to put the flange back when dismounting the lens, as the lenscap could also damage the protruding rear element.

This picture shows the rear cell of the two different versions of the Topcor/Horseman/Caltar 90/5.6. The rear-cell on the right has the non-removable flange and the rear-cell on the left has the removable flange.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2012/beforedisassembly.jpg

StoneNYC
31-Jan-2015, 09:02
The flange protects the rear element in case you set it down on the rear cell. It has no optical function. Other lenses have this feature, for example the Topcor LF 90/5.6 needs to have the flange removed to fit through the front standard of the Horseman FA. In fact just last month I was in a panic because I could not find my flange. Found it attached to the rear lenscap in the bottom of a drawer. It is a good idea to put the flange back when dismounting the lens, as the lenscap could also damage the protruding rear element.

This picture shows the rear cell of the two different versions of the Topcor/Horseman/Caltar 90/5.6. The rear-cell on the right has the non-removable flange and the rear-cell on the left has the removable flange.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2012/beforedisassembly.jpg

Fascinating, I've avoided all that extra work by not buying any lenses that don't fit in a Technika board altogether haha.

Even the 150 SS XL I chose over the 150 Nikkor SW because of the size of the rear element not the image quality (which is more even with the Nikon), this is also a rule shoot 77mm or smaller filters, since that's what I standardized on years ago. Luckily the 150 SS XL also had a small rear filter thread, lucky me!

Anyway this is all fascinating, good to know they thought of this so it was still an option (even if an afterthought in some cases) for Technika users.

Zndrson
31-Jan-2015, 10:17
Does anything need to be loosened before removing the rear flange? Does it simply unscrew? The one on my 90XL appears to be very stiff, though it certainly is new enough to have the feature.

Arne Croell
31-Jan-2015, 10:44
Does anything need to be loosened before removing the rear flange? Does it simply unscrew? The one on my 90XL appears to be very stiff, though it certainly is new enough to have the feature.
It just unscrews. Similar to filters, it helps if the force is applied evenly without distorting the ring. Try one of those rubber pads for opening cans, put it flat on a table, press the rim onto it and turn.

Zndrson
31-Jan-2015, 14:42
Thanks for the reply. Used a rubber band and it came right off. Much more tempted to keep it now.

ic-racer
31-Jan-2015, 20:43
Fascinating, I've avoided all that extra work by not buying any lenses that don't fit in a Technika board altogether haha.

The issue is not the Technika or Horseman board, it is the size of the hole in the front standard on the camera. Sure you can mount the rear cell by removing the back of the camera, but what a pain, especially if you have shims.
So unless you have a Technika or Horseman camera you can ignore the removable flange feature (unless you see a lens for sale with an exposed, protruding rear element. Now you know what is missing).

StoneNYC
31-Jan-2015, 21:53
The issue is not the Technika or Horseman board, it is the size of the hole in the front standard on the camera. Sure you can mount the rear cell by removing the back of the camera, but what a pain, especially if you have shims.
So unless you have a Technika or Horseman camera you can ignore the removable flange feature (unless you see a lens for sale with an exposed, protruding rear element. Now you know what is missing).

Yes, sorry, I should have said any lens that doesn't fit in the hole of the Technika device the board goes into... From my limited experience with the two cameras that I have used both with Technika boards, they both have the hole limitation, I assume because of the design of the board, all standards that except the Teknika board would also have the same hole size as recessed boards need to go in them in the light trap has to go around the circle, so any lens in a Technika board would from my experience and understanding need to fit the hole to work, hence my statement, the logical inference is that all lenses on tecnika boards need to fit in that hole to be useable... So all lenses I own have to "fit Technika boards" or I won't buy them as I only use Technika board for all my cameras and all my field work.

If I ever do studio portraits or wet plate that will obviously change but then I'll be using a different camera and probably not such a wide angle lens...