PDA

View Full Version : Anti-reflection glass for framing

Glenn Kroeger
9-Jun-2000, 14:11
This isn't really a large format question, but the audience here is into this so rt of thing.

I am looking for an anti-reflection glass for framing prints. I have seen a prod uct called CrystalView, but none of my local shops seem to know anything about i t.

Apparently there are two similar products. At the high-end, Denglas, and another product with a slightly different technology, ImagePerfect.

Has anybody had experience with any of these glasses, or had a chance to compare them.

Thanks.

Sal Santamaura
9-Jun-2000, 15:07
Everything hanging in my house is behind Denglas. It's just plain old float glass with an AR coating. Certainly not cheap, and you'd be well advised to open and inspect every sheet before taking it away from the shop where you purchased it. Both coating defects and handling damage are common. However, once you overcome those hurdles, there's no better way to deal with glare otherwise unavoidable in modern "flooded with natural light" homes.

I saw CrystalView at a show once If memory serves, it was manufactured in Germany. It seemed to be the same AR-coated float glass as Denglas, and at that time was even more expensive. Makes sense given the extra transportation and import duty costs.

ImagePerfect is a new one on me. I'd be interested in hearing anything about its design, cost and availability. Competition is good!

Cameron Mosley
9-Jun-2000, 21:19
I used to work in a picture framing shop. We carried ImagePerfect. It is expensive, but it is far superior to regular or non-glare glass. We had a sample picture with three strips of glass- regular, non- glare, and ImagePerfect. The IP section appeared glassless compared to the other two. The only downside other that price is that it is difficult to clean. It is porous and fingerprints and smudges "soak" into it. You have to saturate it with an alcohol based cleaner to clean it, but its no big deal if you don't plan on handling your pictures alot.

Patrick Raymore
9-Jun-2000, 23:01
"expensive"??? What kind of cost are speaking about here. Give us a ball park figure per square inch.

Cameron Mosley
10-Jun-2000, 00:21
Just a guestimate - approximately 50-60 bucks for 11x14/16x20. I don't remember any exact figures, that was three or four years ago. Hope that helps.

Chad Jarvis
10-Jun-2000, 13:26
In my experience any glass shop or glass supplier carries this stuff. In fact the one near me, and I live kinda outta the way, has multiple grades of AR glass. Sorry I can't recall the prices offhand, but I'm sure only few phone calls to the folks near you will get you all the info you need.

Ray Dunn
10-Jun-2000, 15:47
For ABSOLUTE clarity, I had my last three pieces done with museum glass. VERY expensive, but is as breathtakingly clear as lead- crystal glassware. In the neighborhood of $135 for a matted 16x20 photo. I picked this over the conservation AR glass. Placed side by side over my Cibachrome prints in good light, it was no contest. I don't know the trade name, but I can contact the gallery where I had it done if anyone is interested.

Sal Santamaura
10-Jun-2000, 21:54
Dan, thanks for all that good information. One question: do you frame a lot of Dye Transfer work? Otherwise, according to Wilhelm's book, UV isn't much of a consideration for photographic prints, color or black and white.

Bill Glickman
11-Jun-2000, 02:19
Glen, I went to a framing trade show last year and was quite amazed at how well this glass appeared. I knew I had picked up some literature on it, but knew it was burried in piles of paper. Knowing what a good poster you have been, I went and serached for hours till I found the literature... here is what I found...

Sandel clearly perfect 877-726-3352 I don't remember their display. Image Perfect 800-876-6098 This one I saw and was blown away by the clarity... you felt there was no glass on it at all! Good luck Glen, let me know how you make out!

Bill Glickman
11-Jun-2000, 22:07
Glen, the June 2000 issue of Picture Framing Magazine has a few pages dedicated to the different glass makers and the benefits of each. YOu definetly should get a copy of this if you are interested in the different glasses and their capability... 732-446-4900

Glenn Kroeger
12-Jun-2000, 14:24
To help answer my own question, here are some web sites I have found:

http://www.tru-vue.com (AR and Museum AR glass) http://www.framingsupply.com (Image Perfect glass)

E.L.
12-Jun-2000, 14:42
I can't remember seeing an actual gallery show that wasn't behind some sort of plexiglass. I have heard it is used because it is not subject to shattering into a billion pieces if dropped. The print is protected from being ruined that way. I guess the glass people have really expensive glass to sell you, but museums I have seen are far more concerned about not slicing the piece to ribbons if it falls. The plastics are also not as shiney as glass, and way lighter, the reason I like them.