PDA

View Full Version : Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon trip

Mike Herring
30-Mar-2007, 18:57
I am going to Arizona and I plan on photographing in Sedona, Grand Canyon NP and Antelope Canyon. I was going to drive first to Sedona, then spend 2 days at the Grand Canyon and one day or a few hours at Antelope.
I would appreciate any tips anyone can provide, especially about lighting and favorite times and locations to photograph in these places.
Are there other sites worth photographing between the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Do more photographers prefer the light in the Grand Canyon in the early morning or in the late afternoon?
Many thanks,
Mike Herring

John Kasaian
30-Mar-2007, 19:49
If you want to stay in the Grand Canyon I'd strongly suggest reservations :)

Juergen Sattler
31-Mar-2007, 06:19
Buy Laurent Martres book "Photographing the Southwest" Volume 1 and 2. It's the best investment you can make when visiting the Southwest. He has all the answers you are looking for and then some:-)

Dave_B
31-Mar-2007, 07:32
When I shot in the Grand Canyon I used a small monograph called "The Photograper's Guide to the Grand Canyon" by John Annerino. It is a small, easily carried book that gives a lot of useful information about shooting there. In additon to the information, the pictures in the book are very nice. His pictures give you confidence that he knows what he is talking about. I recommend it.
Cheers,
Dave B.

David Luttmann
31-Mar-2007, 07:41
I am going to Arizona and I plan on photographing in Sedona, Grand Canyon NP and Antelope Canyon. I was going to drive first to Sedona, then spend 2 days at the Grand Canyon and one day or a few hours at Antelope.
I would appreciate any tips anyone can provide, especially about lighting and favorite times and locations to photograph in these places.
Are there other sites worth photographing between the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon. Do more photographers prefer the light in the Grand Canyon in the early morning or in the late afternoon?
Many thanks,
Mike Herring

When are you going Mike? I plan on spending the last week of September and the 1st week of October in Sedona, Canyon de Chelly, Spider Rock, Antelope north and south, Monument Valley, and a few other sites.

scott_6029
31-Mar-2007, 08:40
I did exactly that. Couple of thoughts....you may want to stop in west fork - oak creek canyon...just outside of sedona. I would spend only 1 day in Grand Canyon photographing...unless there is weather. I might strongly consider Monument Valley for a day instead. And while in Page, I would hire Jackson Bridges as a photo guide and go to Canyon X instead of the upper and lower antelope. Jackson can take you to excellent places around Page as well. WELL worth the investment. Much better output.

Aggie
2-Apr-2007, 07:37
Canyon X is now called Catherdral Canyon.
If you want, get hold of me before you come this direction. I can take you into some back country tourists and most people never hear of, for more spectacular scenery than in some of the national parks. It helps being a local. It also gives me a chance to get out there again....and again....and again.... Hubby thinks I should have someone with me when I go out so I have ulterior motives.

scott_6029
2-Apr-2007, 16:37
Aggie, I want to get up there soon before it gets tooo hot. Are you up for a photo shoot?

Doug Dolde
2-Apr-2007, 17:26
Watch the weather and follow the storms if there are any or at least the clouds. The Grand Canyon can be a total waste of time on one of those hazy cloudless days.

There is little known Coal Mine Canyon about 20 miles southeast of Tuba City. Looks a bit like a mini Bryce. It's on public land but there are no rangers, fees or anything like that. You will likely have it all to yourself. Look for a windmill on the left as you drive down Highway 264. Turn left on the dirt road and you can drive right up to the rim.

On Google maps it's here http://tinyurl.com/27jtde

One of my shots from there is here:

http://www.painted-with-light.com/AC13M.html

George Stewart
2-Apr-2007, 17:33
Make a reservation for the Upper Antelope Canyon "photo tour" with http://www.antelopecanyon.com/ ASAP. Don't forget sunset photography at Grand Canyon's Desert View.

Wayne Crider
2-Apr-2007, 20:01
Mike the thing about AZ is that it is hard to cover a lot of it in a short time frame except maybe to get the traditional tourists views. I've shot many many times in Sedona and I could spend weeks there and not have enough time. As concerns the GC, I would live there if I could. The thing is you have to hang around a little, get your bearings, watch the weather, watch how the sun reacts with the mountains and how the shadows play into it, look for locations, eat breakfast and lunch, (Coffee Pot Restaurant in Sedona is the locals hangout) talk the the locals and get ideas, hike a lot etc. One thing is to make reservations at the GC. Don't stay in Sedona, it's too expensive unless you want to splurge. The other important thing is to go at the right time. I know some of the Petroglyph's in Sedona cannot be driven up to anymore; you have to hike to them because of vandalism. If you go in the summer, or after May, it's hot hot and you'll need good boots, sunscreen and lots of water and a good hat. Let me repeat lot's of water. There's a lot to see and it's the reason why so many known names in landscape photography go there again and again and again.

Aggie
3-Apr-2007, 06:21
Scott the temps are hitting in the mid 80's here already. You living in Scotsdale know that is almost cool weather for us. I'm getting ready to do a hike up the Virgin River to an arch that only a hand full of people have seen. It has hanging gardens behind it. It supposedly from one local is better than delicate arch. I'll find out. If you want to come along you are welcome to join in. Also I'm going to Cathedral Canyon on April 28th.

As to the location of Coal mine mesa, it is on reservation land. That is not public land. You need to get permission from the Navajo Tribe. If the picture is just for you, never to be shown, or sold, you might get away with it. Too many people figure they are allowed to take any picture they want on the reservation. The Navajo's are actively going after those who violate their laws on this matter. It is also why the Hopi's have closed down their reservation to everyone with a camera.

Doug Dolde
3-Apr-2007, 07:05
Coal Mine Canyon is NOT on reservation land according to Laurent Martres' book. It is between the Hopi and Navajo reservations.

Dave Parker
3-Apr-2007, 07:31
Doug,

Apparently that information is outdated, all information I am finding says it is on the reservation now due to some court actions.

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arizona/features/articles/0107coalmine0107.html

If you look at the right hand side of the page at the link, it does state you need a permit from the Navajo Nation Parks & Recreation Dept

This page was published Jan, 2007

Here is some more information on areas in the reservation and permit requirements

http://www.navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

Dave

Doug Dolde
3-Apr-2007, 07:46
I'd be more worried about the big bull who hangs out there than the indians :)

Alan Rabe
3-Apr-2007, 09:55
Here are a couple of photos I took of Coal Mine Canyon in the 90's before the permit was required. The little bridge no longer exists

Mike Herring
3-Apr-2007, 18:27
When are you going Mike? I plan on spending the last week of September and the 1st week of October in Sedona, Canyon de Chelly, Spider Rock, Antelope north and south, Monument Valley, and a few other sites.
Hi Dave,

I am going the end of April thru May 5th. Maybe we can hook up another time.
I would love to photograph the Southwest in the Autumn.

Take care,
Mike