PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor Lens U.S. or Imported?

Chris Strobel
30-Mar-2007, 13:02
Hi, I've got my eye on a new LF Nikkor lens at B&H.They offer 2 versions, U.S and Imported.Does it really matter which one I get?The imported version is 30.00 cheaper.

Thanks!............Chris

Don Hutton
30-Mar-2007, 13:03
They are all made in Japan... Probably come off the line next to each other. I'd save the $30.

GPS
30-Mar-2007, 13:27
The last 20 years I happily buy the "imported" (gray market) lenses. For what I've saved during that time I surely got some lens too...

Walter Calahan
30-Mar-2007, 13:31
When it comes to Nikkor 35mm and digital lenses, I'd say buy the USA model for the warrantee coverage. Unless the LF shutter is bad, there's pretty much nothing to go wrong with LF glass. Save yourself 30 bucks with the gray market. They are the same lens.

Oren Grad
30-Mar-2007, 13:38
The Schneider SS-XL series are the only LF lenses I can think of in recent years where there have been some problems with the glass. I don't recall ever hearing of an issue with Nikkors, all of which were in production for many years.

Ted Harris
30-Mar-2007, 13:46
Even if there is a problem these days with international shipping as fast as it is a warrenty service from the factory could be almost as quick as getting it done in the States. I frequently have mail that gets to me faster from Europe or Australia than mail from California.

Chris Strobel
30-Mar-2007, 14:06
Ok guys thanks!Imported it is!

Dave_B
30-Mar-2007, 14:09
I've bought many imported LF Nikkor lenses from B&H. Never had a problem. IMHO, you should spend the extra $$$ you save on film.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Hiro
30-Mar-2007, 15:10
Imported items are covered under 1-yr B&H warranty, so there is some protection, too.
You get a pop-up info if you click "USA" or "Imported."

Charles Hohenstein
30-Mar-2007, 16:06
I'm curious how this issue works out in practice. Suppose that I send my lens to the Grimes folks for repair, and they need to get a part from Nikon USA (unlikely, I realize, since a mechanical part which needed to be replaced would more likely be a Copal part). Does Nikon insist on getting the serial number or every lens which is getting repaired, before they will release the part? Surely that would be more trouble to them than it is worth.

BrianShaw
30-Mar-2007, 17:34
Surely that would be more trouble to them than it is worth.

Yes it is.

The warrantee situation really seems to boil down to how the consumer chooses to deal with the unlikely event of "infant mortality". If warranted by the manufacturer, they will have one of their authorized service center take care of the problem; if grey market, the consumer will either pay or use a third-party repair option (like B&H). In the long-run there doesn't seem like much of a difference since a routine cleaning/repairs some years down the line are most likely to be viewed as normal wear and tear situations.

That being said, Hasselblad got tough not long ago and declared that they (US importer) will never service a grey market camera/lens... ever - whether during the international warantee period or after that. So what's the upshot of that tough position: grey-market Hassy users need to use an independent repair person (of which there are many good ones) or send the camera to Sweden. But from what I've heard if you call Hassy-USA and buy parts, they don't give a hoot what camera you'll be using the parts on.