PDA

View Full Version : Help in selecting 100-120mm lens for roll film work

Nick
30-Mar-2007, 10:23
Hello all,

I am looking for a standard lens to complement my 58mm on my fotoman 612. While I hate to be the "what's the sharpest" guy when looking for a lens, a very high quality lens is important for several reasons in my case.

1) Starting with 6x12, so already have lost 50% or more film area from 4x5
2) Entire purpose of system is for large (20x40, or larger when possible) high quality prints that I cannot duplicate with my digital system.

I am well aware diffraction will play a role in some shots where I need to stop down. What I am wondering is at that print size will I see a difference between the "nice" lenses and the "very nice" lenses, assuming excellent technique and ability to shoot at f16.

less expensive choices..
Fuji CMW 105
Symmar-S 120
Sironar-N 120

more expensive choices
Symmar-L 120
Sironar-S 100
Schneider Digitar 120

Is there really going to be a difference? Am I worrying over nothing?
Thanks!

Scott Davis
30-Mar-2007, 10:40
Don't forget some older options for a lens, like a Goerz American Optical 4 3/8" (110mm) f8. Beautiful lens, produces terrific results on 4x5 and even 5x7. On 6x12 you'll be well within the sweet spot of this lens, even wide open.

I think you're worrying too much. All those lenses you listed are modern, high-quality optics, and since you won't be dealing with any movements on the Fotoman, you won't have to worry about the performance of any of them at the edges of their image circle, which is where you'll see the biggest difference in performance between these lenses.

Nick
30-Mar-2007, 10:52
Thanks Scott, you're probably right that I am too concerned over it. Regarding the old lenses though, no, I've been pretty far down that road in the past and am not looking to re-tread it. I like my accurate shutters these days that I don't need to work out 10 times before taking a shot!

Dan Fromm
30-Mar-2007, 11:01
Nick, getting to 20" from 2.25" requires 8.9x enlargement. This is uncomfortably close to the limit possible (at 9x, getting 8 lp/mm in the final print requires 72 lp/mm in the negative). Getting 72 lp/mm on the negative requires exacting technique -- not possible with a handheld camera -- and shooting at an aperture no smaller than f/22. If you want to get prints larger than 20x40 that will bear close scrutiny, shoot 4x5.

Sorry,

Dan

p.s., don't be discouraged. My arithmetic is correct but not many people agree with the result ...

Nick
30-Mar-2007, 11:22
p.s., don't be discouraged. My arithmetic is correct but not many people agree with the result ...

Gee, thanks Dan, now I'll go cry in the corner. :)

I'll be tripod mounted most the time, and realize I am pushing up against the limit. I may end up going back to 4x5, but after putting in a solid year of doing sheet film work I realized my results lacked in the system. I appreciate it, and respect good work done with it, just not my thing.

I am happy with my best quality work in 6x6 at 20x20, so thus my interpolation up to 20x40 for 6x12. Maybe I am not picky enough, but that's what brought up my desire for very high quality lenses to equal what I used in the rolleiflex.

Darren Kruger
30-Mar-2007, 14:20
If you want to get prints larger than 20x40 that will bear close scrutiny, shoot 4x5.

if you are trying for a panoramic view, going to 4x5 won't get you much more than 6x12 as the film would be around the same size on the long side.

have you thought about possibly going with a 90mm lens instead of one in the 110mm range, or would that be too close to your existing 58mm? Lots of 4x5 lenses at 90mm that I would think would work fine on 6x12.

-Darren

MJSfoto1956
30-Mar-2007, 14:31
my favorite lens w/ both 6x12 and 4x5 is a 120mm Super Symmar HM -- fabulous lens.

Nick
30-Mar-2007, 14:47
have you thought about possibly going with a 90mm lens instead of one in the 110mm range, or would that be too close to your existing 58mm? Lots of 4x5 lenses at 90mm that I would think would work fine on 6x12.

-Darren

I have thought very carefully about a 90mm, as I own a grandagon 90/6.8. What is driving me to sell it and purchase one of these slightly longer lenses is the massive weight difference. All the 100-120 plasmats are super light, where as the grandagon is pretty big. The grandagon is something like 460 grams where all of these lenses are sub 200 gram.

I also would rather have the slightly longer focal length.

Ron Marshall
30-Mar-2007, 16:24
See what some LF lenses are capable of:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html