PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Color Negative Film

alec4444
30-Mar-2007, 08:18
Is this completely dead? No companies making any 5x7 color negative film anymore? No rumors of some new ones coming out?

Thanks!
--A

Walter Calahan
30-Mar-2007, 08:33
Love to hear about anything 5x7 now that I have a camera. Just ordered my first box of B&W.

Ole Tjugen
30-Mar-2007, 09:07
No problems here - as long as Kodak still makes 13x18cm. I don't know why, but there is a lot more choise in 13x18cm than in 5x7"!

lutherasmith
30-Mar-2007, 11:59
In Sept 06, I ordered 50 sheets of Kodak Portra 160 from BH photo. The film came no problem. The next time I ordered it was gone. They just stopped cutting it to that size.

I found: http://www.badgergraphic.com
sells 5x7 film in chromes, their website says they are out of Velvia but they have Provia.

They seem to be the only company selling color film for the 5x7 in the states.

I am interested more in color negs but it may be 5 x7 transparencies from now on. The other choice is 8x10 they still sell many color negs in 8x10.

If anyone decides to buy a batch of 5x7 portra from Kodak, please let me know.

Luther
l.smith@tcu.edu

Struan Gray
30-Mar-2007, 12:18
Ole, do you know of a source for 13x18 colour negative? The various half plate threads prompted me to do a trawl of the usual EU suspects and I could only find E6 films in colour. This is a stark change from only a year ago, when Portra and some Fuji stock were both available.

Ole Tjugen
30-Mar-2007, 12:43
Ole, do you know of a source for 13x18 colour negative? The various half plate threads prompted me to do a trawl of the usual EU suspects and I could only find E6 films in colour. This is a stark change from only a year ago, when Portra and some Fuji stock were both available.

OH NO - it's gone!!! :eek:

Struan Gray
30-Mar-2007, 12:58
I hate it when I'm right.

alec4444
30-Mar-2007, 13:05
Ok, so just to clarify then there really is no 5x7 color negative film...only positive, and that will probably change soon (not to be negative). =) So it's 8x10 cut down or B&W. Fair enough....thanks!

--A

Ted Harris
30-Mar-2007, 14:00
No need to shout doom and gloom about available color positive film there is a reasonably wide variety available and, at least based on my last conversations with Kodak, they have no intention of changing anything in terms of the 13x18 color positive production in Europe.

MJSfoto1956
30-Mar-2007, 14:19
Well "something" is up -- with at least Kodak color negative film in general. Six months ago I had no problem whatsoever getting Portra 400NC in 220 rolls from pretty much anywhere. Two weeks ago I went to place an order from B&W (with Adorama as my backup) and they either had incredibly high prices or the 20 packs that I prefer to buy simply were not available. So, I switched my order to Fuji 400H 220 which still remains reasonably priced and available in 20 packs of 220. Bought 40 rolls. Bad for Kodak. Good for Fuji.

Ah how the mightly have fallen...

alec4444
30-Mar-2007, 14:50
No need to shout doom and gloom about available color positive film there is a reasonably wide variety available and, at least based on my last conversations with Kodak, they have no intention of changing anything in terms of the 13x18 color positive production in Europe.

Not shouting doom and gloom....just kinda liked the pun. I'm not that interested in color positive film, really. As far as LF goes, I'm not really sure why anyone would use it. Never seen a 4x5 or 8x10 slide projector. Sure you can scan and print it, but a color negative could give you the same image with a more direct workflow.

And I mean no malice to the LF positive film either. Just bummed there's no 5x7 color negative film, that's all.

--A

Robert A. Zeichner
30-Mar-2007, 15:26
I've got some sealed 50 sheet boxes of Vericolor IIIS in 5x7 that had been frozen since new. Is that anything that you would be interested in for some reasonable price?

alec4444
30-Mar-2007, 15:42
I've got some sealed 50 sheet boxes of Vericolor IIIS in 5x7 that had been frozen since new. Is that anything that you would be interested in for some reasonable price?

PM sent, thanks!

--A

Gene McCluney
30-Mar-2007, 17:10
LF color transparency film is the color media of choice for most all LF based catalog and architecture photography. The film is easy to proof on the light table, and has stunning image quality, not dependent on a print for evaluation. Scanning of transparency film is often better than color negative film on many, if not most scanners. As a professional user of LF color transparency film, as well as a user of color negative film, I can readily understand why there is still transparency film available in LF sizes abandoned for color negative.

You all have to remember, there are only 2 (two) producers of color film in the world now. Fuji and Kodak. Thats it. If Kodak or Fuji doesn't make it, it doesn't exist.

tim atherton
30-Mar-2007, 17:21
"LF color transparency film is the color media of choice for most all LF based catalog ...photography"

How much film do that one guy use though...?

"and architecture photography" lots of colour neg too - but it's pretty quickly moving to digital as well - it was one of the last pro analogue bastions left

alec4444
30-Mar-2007, 17:56
LF color transparency film is the color media of choice for most all LF based catalog and architecture photography. The film is easy to proof on the light table, and has stunning image quality, not dependent on a print for evaluation. Scanning of transparency film is often better than color negative film on many, if not most scanners.

Gene, thank for clearing that up for me! The proofing thing makes a lot of sense as does the part about not needing a print for evaluation. The part about transparency film out-producing color neg when scanned is a surprise, but I buy it. :) I know a lot of magazines preferred slide film.

--A

Pete Roody
31-Mar-2007, 08:04
Gene, thank for clearing that up for me! The proofing thing makes a lot of sense as does the part about not needing a print for evaluation. The part about transparency film out-producing color neg when scanned is a surprise, but I buy it. :) I know a lot of magazines preferred slide film.

--A

Alec,

Having a transparency also allows for straight comparison to a digital print. You (or your lab) can adjust the 'raw file' in photoshop using the chrome as a reference. This is especially valuable if you use a lab for printing.

Pete

tim atherton
31-Mar-2007, 19:39
Never seen a 4x5 ...slide projector.
--A

really? they are kinda fun. Noblex used to make one not so long ago and I think there were others

Remigius
2-Apr-2007, 04:01
calumet Germany lists Portra 160 NC in 5x7:

http://www.calumetphoto.de/item/KOD160NC5750.html

lutherasmith
10-Apr-2007, 06:55
calumet Germany lists Portra 160 NC in 5x7:

http://www.calumetphoto.de/item/KOD160NC5750.html

Sadly, from the German Calumet represenative,

"Today a got the information, that the Kodak 160 NC 5x7" will not be produced anymore and we regret that we donīt have this item on stock."

Luther