PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix, Arizona..

william linne
29-Mar-2007, 07:29
I'll be there for the weekend and would love to hear some recommendations for interesting areas to photograph (within 1/2 hours drive of the city). I love the desert, but am open to other areas as well.

thanks,

W.

Ralph Barker
29-Mar-2007, 07:48
I'm not a Phoenix resident, but there are some interesting sculptures (life-size dancers, musicians) at the performing arts center downtown, and the state capitol building is fairly interesting.

Wayne Crider
29-Mar-2007, 19:25
There are literally a ton of places to go and they have been spoken about in other threads here and at Apug as well as at Pnet. A search will provide more then you'll want to read.

A 1/2 hour is really nothing if your in traffic. For something real interesting and about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on where your at, the Vulture mine in Wickenburg http://www.jpc-training.com/vulture.htm has to be one of my favorites. Here's another link with pictures http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/vulturecity.html For around town there are many park hiking areas that will give you the desert landscape and Barnes and Noble will have books on the local hike subject. One area that i thought was interesting was the Botanical Gardens, but that's just me, I like plants.

George Kara
29-Mar-2007, 20:54
Pretty scenes? Reality? Perhaps you can walk up around some of the canals built by the Salt River Indians within our city limits. Who knows, you may get lucky and find a body or 2 floating along.

I suggest you also visit one of prime economic development centers at the Home Depot on 32nd street and Greenway. This is where many illegals hang out to find work for the day. They are willing to do to anything to make enough money to buy a tortilla - including smiling for the camera.

It makes for great picture taking.

If you have an extra two days however, I suggest you drive as fast as possible to the Hopi Rez North East of PHX and sneak some shots of the incredible, mystical people of the Third Mesa in Northern AZ.

There are no other people like the Hopis.

George

Juergen Sattler
29-Mar-2007, 21:50
Pretty scenes? Reality? Perhaps you can walk up around some of the canals built by the Salt River Indians within our city limits. Who knows, you may get lucky and find a body or 2 floating along.

I suggest you also visit one of prime economic development centers at the Home Depot on 32nd street and Greenway. This is where many illegals hang out to find work for the day. They are willing to do to anything to make enough money to buy a tortilla - including smiling for the camera.

It makes for great picture taking.

If you have an extra two days however, I suggest you drive as fast as possible to the Hopi Rez North East of PHX and sneak some shots of the incredible, mystical people of the Third Mesa in Northern AZ.

There are no other people like the Hopis.

George

And taking pictures at the Hopi Reservation is not allowed! You really should respect the rules of a tribe - it's the least we can do.

scott_6029
30-Mar-2007, 07:36
Well, for 1/2 hour you are limited...perhaps saguaro lake and the four peaks area (landscape), the fire house museum (lot's of old fire trucks / abstracts to shoot, mostly indoors), downtown phoenix, botanical gardens, mesa arts centers is nice too (archetectual and abstract). If you want to drive an hour or so...there are other choices...depends on what you want to shoot.

Doug Dolde
30-Mar-2007, 11:18
Try the Superstition Mountains in the evening. Out by Apache Juction.

http://www.painted-with-light.com/AD1M.html

George Kara
30-Mar-2007, 13:37
Actually the Botanical garden should be wonderful right now. And it is very conveniently located.