PDA

View Full Version : Putting Lenses in Shutters

alec4444
28-Mar-2007, 17:23
A true "Noob" question for sure: When you pay someone to put a lens into a shutter, only the lens cells are put into the shutter and the "barrel" with the aperture is tossed (or set aside), correct? I'm still having problems with the aperture ring on that 180mm Protar V lens (see old posting), though I've confirmed it covers my 11x14 format. So one way to deal with that is to toss the barrel and put it in a shutter, right?

Thanks!
--A

C. D. Keth
28-Mar-2007, 17:38
That's correct. This is assuming, of course, that screwing right into a shutter provides the proper spacing between cells.

If it doesn't, other measures will be required. At best this will be thin spacers. AT worse, some tricky machining. Check skgrimes.com for a good list of lenses they have fit into shutters and how.

alec4444
28-Mar-2007, 17:46
Thanks, Chris. Yeah, with the 18cm Protar V I'm sure I'd need a Copal 0 shutter and some custom machining and spacers and such. Another project for the project list....

--A

Carsten Wolff
28-Mar-2007, 17:53
Depending on the lens design, the front and rear cells either fit directly into a shutter, or if needed, professional workshops turn adapters from (alu, brass) stock. The trick is not just in maintaining overall optical length, but also alignment/collimation, distance to shutter/aperture blade plane..... http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/24art/index.htm has a nice illustration on how it's done. www.lensn2shutter.com seems a good alternative and there is at least one w/shop here in Australia (Eric Owen of "Bendyblad" fame)that also does 'em.
Your query relates to "barrel loss anxiety" no doubt. No worries, you'd get it back, esp. if you ask in advance :) - I wouldn't "toss" the barrel either.... just in case......

Carsten Wolff
28-Mar-2007, 17:54
Chris "outposted" me....:)

Ole Tjugen
28-Mar-2007, 22:23
Thanks, Chris. Yeah, with the 18cm Protar V I'm sure I'd need a Copal 0 shutter and some custom machining and spacers and such. Another project for the project list....

It's not quite that simple: The spacing between the elements in the Protar V is so tight that it's difficult to fit both aperture and shutter blades in there.

Having the aperture repaired is a much cheaper option, saving at least the cost of a new packard shutter... :)