PDA

View Full Version : t55 polaroid film-defects

Raymond Bleesz
18-Jun-1998, 11:00
question regarding polaroid t55 film-- over the weekend, an imprompt shooting si tuation left me to put exposed t55 film in water for several hours before i imm ersed the film in sodium carbonate. the result has been puzzeling. one batch of film cleared and looked normal as i have done this once before. the second b atch of film did not clear. a blackened image remained and the emulsion was very soft and became unattached to the gelatine film base. the dating on the film wa s 3/98-- a few months over the recommended time. is this the problem? thank yo u for your answers.

Ellis Vener
19-Jun-1998, 13:21
This might be completely offbase but is there enough of a chemical difference be tween Polaroid's recommendation of Sodium Sulfite and your use of Sodium Carbona te to be causing the problem you are having?

Tony Brent
8-Sep-1998, 01:31
You mentioned that you had been soaking your type 55 negatives in sodium carbona te. I sincerely hope that was not the case, and that you mis spoke in your messa ge.

Sodium carbonate is a fairly strong alkalai as film chemicals go, and could very well have floated the emulsion off your negatives.

Polaroid's recommendation for Type 55 is a 18% solution of sodium SULFITE for Ty pe 55 negatives, and a 12% solution of sodium SULFITE for type 665 negatives.

Sodium CARBONATE is washing soda.