PDA

View Full Version : Bogen selection

Padu Merloti
28-Mar-2007, 11:24
I've been immersed on the several models for heads and legs that bogen offers. It seems that bogen is one of the best options for LF when you're on a budget. Yesterday I bought a 3047 head from ebay for $20 bucks, but I'm learning now that legs will cost me much more than that.

So I humbly ask your opinion, which set would you take from one of these options:

3030 legs with 3047 head
3036 legs with 3035 head
3046 legs with 3063 head

I could get any one of these for about the same price ($100 to $125), but I've never seen one of these up close, so hence I ask your opinion.

Ole Tjugen
28-Mar-2007, 11:41
I have no idea.

I just bought a Manfrotto 055MF3 to use with the Giottos ballhead I already have. I have no idea what that tripod is called in the USA, except that it's a "Bogen". It's not "budget", but it fulfills my needs for a travel tripod right now.

Kirk Gittings
28-Mar-2007, 12:08
Ole,

It is the same in the US and it is my tripod also. A great piece of equipment.

John O'Connell
28-Mar-2007, 12:41
I dunno what head you meant by a 3035--as far as I know, that's a legset. But I'm really happy with my 3236 legs. They're the same as the 3036 but in black.

They weigh something like 10 pounds and the central brace and supports keep it from getting really low, but it has a huge extension and infinite flexibility for leg locking positions. I can't bring myself to buy anything else, because the 3026/3236 does everything I want except carry itself. And it's incredibly stable. Only those huge Majestics and wooden tripods seem more stable to me.

Padu Merloti
28-Mar-2007, 12:53
I dunno what head you meant by a 3035--as far as I know, that's a legset. But I'm really happy with my 3236 legs. They're the same as the 3036 but in black.

They weigh something like 10 pounds and the central brace and supports keep it from getting really low, but it has a huge extension and infinite flexibility for leg locking positions. I can't bring myself to buy anything else, because the 3026/3236 does everything I want except carry itself. And it's incredibly stable. Only those huge Majestics and wooden tripods seem more stable to me.

What I found on bogenimaging website agrees with what you're saying, but that's not what the auction says:
ebay item (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bogen-3036-Tripod-with-3035-Head_W0QQitemZ250099282959QQcategoryZ30095QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

If you look closely on larger picture of the head, it is really written model #3035. So maybe it's made for a different market or it is too old?

Anyway, since I already bought the 3047 head, I'll get that set, and when it arrives I'll compare both heads, decide which one I'll keep and sell the other one on ebay.

Brian Ellis
29-Mar-2007, 07:23
"If you look closely on larger picture of the head, it is really written model #3035. So maybe it's made for a different market or it is too old?"

At some point, maybe at several different points, Bogen seems to have changed model designations around or maybe stopped using a U.S. designation and switched to European number or something. But regardless of the reason, it can sometimes be difficult to look at older tripods and model numbers and figure out whether they're the same tripod as the one that currently bears that number or whether it's a different tripod altogether. Also, some tripods seem to have changed over the years (e.g. the 3021) while continuing to bear the same model number. So things can get confusing with Bogen.

If you're in the market for a good but relatively inexpensive tripod I'd suggest that you look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods. I use one with a digital camera (about 3 lbs with lens I'd guess) and so far it's been great. Mine is very light, maybe too light for a LF camera, but they make other models. It cost $200 including shipping from Tai Wan and came with padded legs and a carrying bag. I much prefer it to my Gitzo 1325 and plan to try it with a LF camera soon to see how it does. If it seems sturdy enough the 1325 will go on ebay.

Padu Merloti
30-Mar-2007, 10:00
Got it finally. Got a 3035 legset with a 3047 head from a local guy that I found on craigslist. The thing I liked about the 3035 (couldn't find a reference on bogenimaging.com) is that its legs can have independent angles and they can open so wide that the camera stays practically at ground level.

I paid $95 for the legs and the head. Is it a good price?

I went to get the tripod yesterday with my motorcycle, didn't realize how jumbo the tripod was until I had to carry it.

Now I have an extra 3047 head that I'm going to sell...