PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb Question re: QuickLoads...

Scott --
28-Mar-2007, 08:55
Ok, more in my quest for cheap 4x5 transparencies: Can Fuji QuickLoads be used in normal film holders? Ebay shopping for expired Fuji slide film in 4x5 almost certainly means QuickLoads. A new QuickLoad holder is something like $116 (and backordered at B&H). If the film can be removed and loaded in a normal 4x5 holder, that'd make me happy (though my wife's gonna shoot me when she sees another PayPal charge...).

I admit ignorance with QuickLoads/ReadyLoads.

Thanks,
Scott, rank newbie

Ole Tjugen
28-Mar-2007, 08:57
No, they can't.

But they can be used in polariod holders - and one of those can be a nice thing to have anyway. You could even shoot polaroids in it... :D

Edit: It should be possible to remove the film and load it in a regular holder, but that seems to me to be both tricky and somewhat unnecessary. ;)

Scott --
28-Mar-2007, 09:02
Thanks, Ole. What model holder? Would a 500 work? They seem to go cheap, and I am, afterall, cheap. ;)

ReadyLoads, too, or just QuickLoads?

Scott

David Karp
28-Mar-2007, 09:05
545 and 545i

Don Hutton
28-Mar-2007, 09:20
Ebay shopping for expired Fuji slide film in 4x5 almost certainly means QuickLoads.

That just is not the case - you see regular Fuji 4x5 film all the time. In fact if you do a search on 4x5 Fuji film right now, most of it is regular film - very little is in Quickload form.

Alan Davenport
28-Mar-2007, 09:56
Scott, you're in danger of being gored by your dilemma. Using "cheap" and either "Quickload" or "Readyload" in the same sentence is a classic oxymoron.

Quickload/Readyload film is significantly more expensive than loose sheets. In fact, my experience has been that outdated Q/R film costs about the same as new, fresh loose sheets. So if you're out to save $$$, look for shortdated or recently outdated sheets, then keep it cold until you're ready to use it. I've been using mostly outdated film for several years now, and there's no problem finding loose sheets on evilbay.

Scott --
28-Mar-2007, 10:13
I'm wondering: I want to try doing my own E6 processing; how reasonable is that with the QuickLoad/ReadyLoad sheets?

Rory_5244
28-Mar-2007, 10:29
You certainly can use QuickLoads in normal holders. However, you must first (in a darkroom or changing bag) slide the film out of the cardboard sleeve completely, then break off the end of the film near the metal strip (it's designed to be broken off). Load the film into your 4x5 holder.

Don Hutton
28-Mar-2007, 10:46
I'm wondering: I want to try doing my own E6 processing; how reasonable is that with the QuickLoad/ReadyLoad sheets?

Not sure what you mean here - Readyload/Quickload sheets are approximately 3 times the cost of regular sheet film. Therefore, trying anything is therefore, in an economic sense, not very "reasonable" with them. However, it is exactly the same film as regular sheet film of the same identification. People are prepared to pay the extra for them because of the convenience in the field - it has nothing to do with processing.

Scott --
4-Apr-2007, 16:30
Don, I understand the cost differential. I was shopping expired, used film, and QuickLoad is what I came up with, cheap. On par with the expired sheet film I was finding, and cheaper'n lots of that, too.

In case anyone else is hard-up enough to want to do what I'm doing, here ya go:

You can use the QuickLoads (and I'm guessing, by extension, the Kodak variant) in regular holders. In a dark room, with the emulsion side up, give a good yank on the end of the holder and the film slides right out. Snap the clip end off, and find the perforation on the other end. Separate it there, and you've got one nice, clean sheet of film, complete with little type notches in the upper right corner. Load 'er up in your cut film holder. Took marginally longer than loading regular ol' sheet film.

All that said, I'll decide whether or not to invest in a Polaroid 545 holder based on any scratching I might be doing to the film, how often I find cheap Q/R film, and how often I'm shooting it.

For what it's worth.

steve simmons
4-Apr-2007, 16:44
Buying outdate film on Ebay could mean buying dead film depending on how it has been kept. If so this is not a cheap alternative but a complete waste of money.

I would strongly recommend against doing this. Wait until you can afford some good film.

steve simmons

Dave Parker
4-Apr-2007, 16:46
Scott,

Don't even worry about a 500, they are not easy to work with and unless you get real good with them, you will waste several sheets of film, I have a couple of them around here that I finally gave up on and use for paper weights...in this day and age, not even worth the trouble..

Dave

nicol_verheem
4-Apr-2007, 19:11
Use the 545i above the 545 if you can afford (a small $ difference). The 545i is lighter, as works better with the quickloads. Using the 545 I had the odd unexposed slide, using a 545i, none. I think there is a marginal diff. on the "tolerance" of the metal clasp.

And you can shoot polaroids in it too !

HTH
nlv

Alan Davenport
6-Apr-2007, 02:50
You can use the QuickLoads (and I'm guessing, by extension, the Kodak variant) in regular holders. In a dark room, with the emulsion side up, give a good yank on the end of the holder and the film slides right out. Snap the clip end off, and find the perforation on the other end. Separate it there, and you've got one nice, clean sheet of film, complete with little type notches in the upper right corner. Load 'er up in your cut film holder. Took marginally longer than loading regular ol' sheet film.

LOL! This might be a modern competitor with wet plate photography; it certainly adds yet another layer of fiddling to large format!

Scott --
6-Apr-2007, 08:05
LOL! This might be a modern competitor with wet plate photography; it certainly adds yet another layer of fiddling to large format!

Alan, entropy is the law of the universe. I'm just trying to help it along. :D

Film's been exposed. I'm just waiting on chemistry now...