PDA

View Full Version : Idiot savant and polaroid 55

George Kara
27-Mar-2007, 09:44
Hi All

I have never processed film in my life. My daughter who is a teenager processes her film all the time in high school but is to busy to give me any advice. So would you please help me out?

I have purchased some polaroid 55 and 51 and need to use the sulfite solution and then use that drying stuff and then fix.

I have all the chemicals but do I really need to use brown bottles or can I just use tupperware that I can steal from my wife?

Also how do you hold off on developing until later. do I just pull the film out without switching the lever back on my 545i holder?

Thank you

George

Brian C. Miller
27-Mar-2007, 10:00
Sodium sulfite is pretty tame, and any container will do for it. As for developing for later, press the release button while the lever is in the "load" position. Don't move the lever to the "process" position or else the rollers will clamp down and distribute the chemicals. Once you're home, then insert the film back in the holder and move the lever to the "process" position.

darr
27-Mar-2007, 10:18
George visit this link (http://www.cameraartist.com/words/2006/07/how_i_shoot_polaroid_55_pn.html).

Ted Harris
27-Mar-2007, 10:25
George, careful when remove the film from the holder for processing later. Just pressing the relese button while the lever is in the L position doesn't always work perfectly. Wiggle the film back and forth gently and carefully until you are sure that the metal clip on the end has disengaged from the holder then you are home free.

Brian C. Miller
27-Mar-2007, 10:47
Usually the problem that I have is yanking the envelope too hard (yes, enthusiastically!) and then having to disassemble the holder to remove the film.

George Kara
27-Mar-2007, 10:48
Thank you all very much for your excellent advice and the great link Darr.

George