PDA

View Full Version : 110XL focus question

E_Aiken
26-Mar-2007, 20:35
I've sold a wealth of equipment and now have a 110XL on its way to me. I'm a bit concerned having seen a few posts to the effect of saying that if the lens elements are moved at all from where they're set at the factory, you're at great risk of losing performance - so of course, I'm thinking, this thing has to be mounted on my camera somehow, right? I've got to unscrew the rear element to attach the board, so isn't this then inviting in the chance of sub-optimal performance from the lens, if these posts are to be believed? Just seemed a bit extreme to me, and hoping someone can maybe set the record straight for me.

bdeacon
26-Mar-2007, 20:50
Last summer, my 4x5 camera took a nose dive on a mountainside in 50+ mph winds and my 110 XL cushioned the fall against a large rock. After the heart attack dissipated and my savings account flashed before my eyes, I examined the damage and was relieved to see that the lens only sustained a tiny dent in its side and the glass was fine. This amazed me as my camera, lens, and tripod were blown more than 90 degrees straight down into a rock which must have jarred the camera and lens elements quite a bit. Anyway, getting to your question, the 110 XL works exactly the same now as it did before the accident – which is to say extremely well. I figure if this did not effect the 110 XL’s performance, mounting it to a lens board should be no problem.

Ron Marshall
26-Mar-2007, 21:14
I've got to unscrew the rear element to attach the board, so isn't this then inviting in the chance of sub-optimal performance from the lens, if these posts are to be believed? Just seemed a bit extreme to me, and hoping someone can maybe set the record straight for me.

The rear element is designed to be screwed in completely, until it stops. Don't worry about it.

Eric James
26-Mar-2007, 21:35
...I'm a bit concerned having seen a few posts to the effect of saying that if the lens elements are moved at all from where they're set at the factory, you're at great risk of losing performance...

No worries, this Schneider-initiated urban myth was laid to rest on this site sometime ago - I wish I could find the thread because it was to eloquently and simply put to rest.

This myth was brought to you by the same people who designed the lens’ front threads; so be careful. Most standard filters come crashing and crunching into the front element when installed.

But no worries, the Schneider 110mm is arguably the finest modern lens for large format. Congratulations and enjoy!

E_Aiken
26-Mar-2007, 22:21
thanks - seemed too weird to be true. I'll keep one of my Hoya filters on it just to keep it safe.

har har.