PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Tmax ?

davidb
26-Mar-2007, 16:04
Has the Big Yellow Monster finally done it?

There is a thread on APUG that Kodak has killed off Tmax 100 and 400 in medium format.

Confirmation to be made tomorrow.

Has anyone else heard this?

Gordon Moat
26-Mar-2007, 16:27
APUG has many people who like to bash Kodak, or just post doom and gloom in general. If you talk to some camera stores/labs/self proclaimed insiders, then it should be impossible to buy any film today . . . you know, film is dead. Consider why Kodak would tell some random lab in Canada they are discontinuing a film . . . this defies logic.

On the off chance production stops this year, that many several years worth of supply prior to expiration dates taking affect. In fact, I recently got some AGFA APX100 good until November 2010. If that is any indication for Tmax, even if production ended this year the current supply should be fine into 2010 to 2012 at least. Buy that time, if you still want to shoot B/W, I would imagine a replacement could be found, or you would have enough frozen to last longer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

tim atherton
26-Mar-2007, 16:28
they like scaring themselves over on APUG - it's a sort of masochistic thrill thing... :eek:

and who can tell with Kodak these days - they don't even bother to mention it on their website anymore when a film is doscontinued (I'm not even sure they know themselves).

That said, most of these things usually come from - a guy from my lab who has a cousin whose mistress knows a guy who works for Kodak told me...

but they do like their thrills over in the analogue compound

jnantz
26-Mar-2007, 16:42
i was told by a store owner 3 weeks ago
that kodak stopped making plus-x ... 7 years ago

JW Dewdney
26-Mar-2007, 17:48
Well - thank god they're still making pan(atomic)-x...! If they killed that - I'd REALLY be screwed!!

reellis67
26-Mar-2007, 18:36
Whew! It's a good thing no one ever bashes anyone else over here...

As to the original post, I would contact Kodak directly if it's that important to you. Every site on the 'net seems to have their underwear in a bunch over this, but no one has anything but the same rumor that could have been started by some dork in a camera shop that decided to quit stocking it...

- Randy

Michael Kadillak
26-Mar-2007, 18:55
I have a suggestion.

If each and every time in the future the same doom and gloomers try to get everyone else worked up about nothing and their posts fall on deaf ears they will go somewhere else where they can all get worked up together. Nothing gets me worked up faster than those that have not a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes just wanting to be a spoiler. Kodak would not be hiring back B&W emulsion engineers to improve their product if they were bailing out of the film business.

Fact - we have more qualify films in every size imaginable and life is very good.

Get out there and make some photographs as that is the best solution possible to any concerns about film availibility.

Smile

Jim Rice
26-Mar-2007, 20:09
While i respect the hell out of you Michael, and I'm certain this is yet another cow pile, Kodak did, in fact, simply poof from the paper business, after assuring us all that they REALLY do love us. You reap what you sow.

roteague
26-Mar-2007, 21:04
Fact - we have more qualify films in every size imaginable and life is very good.

Not necessarily. Tried to get any 11x14 Velvia lately? For that matter, how many 8x10 color films are left?

John Kasaian
26-Mar-2007, 21:14
TMax 400 is a great film IMHO and everyone I've spoken with at Kodak has been very helpful with all my odd ball questions. I understand some of us feel slighted by Kodak and Mr Perez' bizarre behavior in particular, but boycotting Kodak does nothing but harm LF. The more competition the better.

As it stands, per sheet Kodak film is the same price as Ilford at the places where I buy it. This wasn't the same story a few years ago, but Ilford ended up in receivership anyway and Kodak as we all know cut back several well loved product lines while at the same time putting a lot of people out of work.

Kodak lost my paper business when they quite making AZO, but I still buy quite a bit of film and chemicals in yellow boxes---I like the stuff and I know what it does. I also buy Ilford because Ilford makes things that Kodak doesen't (like a great 125 asa sheet film and a 400 asa film in 5x7, ortho film and graded fiber based enlarging paper) I also buy Efke and FOMA stuff. My point is that I see these as tools, not economic/political statements. More importantly they are products made by workers who care about what they produce. With film becoming a "niche" market for hobbyists and a few sought after artists, the notion of someone loosing thier job (and mortgage, car, marriage etc...) because they got laid off because I boycotted Kodak (or Ilford or FOMA or whomever) is a bigger poverty than loosing a particular brand of sheet film or paper. Like Michael said, there are plenty of films being made today, so buy the products you enjoy using. If you feel that if you want to "punish" Kodak all you're doing is giving someone like Perez more reason to further cut back film and put more of the people who have supplied us with lf materials out of work.

That's a greater poverty.

E_Aiken
26-Mar-2007, 22:29
Hope that's not true. Salesguy at B&H said the other day Kodak was going to be killing off more films soon...

Armin Seeholzer
27-Mar-2007, 03:58
HI
Is it the new trick thad I buy as much is I can with my credit card, to push Tmax sales?
Maybe a new marketing strategy from Yellow father?
Still using it till I do not get it anymore!
Armin Seeholzer

Michael Kadillak
27-Mar-2007, 07:17
Not necessarily. Tried to get any 11x14 Velvia lately? For that matter, how many 8x10 color films are left?

The need to shoot 11x14 transparencies is something that is hard for me to come to grips with considering the technology to work with 8x10 and high qualiity scanners. As a result this market is probably fairly restrictive unto itself. It simply is what it is.

That said, there are three 8x10 transparency films available. 8x10 Provia 100F, 8x10 Ektachrome 100 and 8x10 Ektachrome 64.

For 8x10 print film there is Fuji 8x10 160S, and Kodak has 8x10 Portra 100T, 160 NC, 160 VC and Portra 400 NC.

Sounds to me that there is plenty of offerings for someone to stock up.

Continuing to smile.....

Oren Grad
27-Mar-2007, 07:45
Just to close this one off:

"Well I got the info from Kodak. Looks like the lab was mistaken (and me for listenning). TMAX was discontinued only in 220 and the catalog numbers were changed for the 120 rolls. Sorry about this guys. I wont report news again till I confirm with Kodak."

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/37810-tmax-films-discontinued-120-a-3.html#post447915

Returning to our regularly-scheduled programming...

Brian C. Miller
27-Mar-2007, 10:56
If look at the current film offerings from B-H and Freestyle, you'll see that TriX is the only B&W film in 220. There's plenty of color, but that's it for B&W.

Bruce Watson
27-Mar-2007, 12:04
Has the Big Yellow Monster finally done it?

There is a thread on APUG that Kodak has killed off Tmax 100 and 400 in medium format.

Confirmation to be made tomorrow.

Has anyone else heard this?

This appears to be a hoax/myth/rumor/whatever. At least according to the thread over on APUG. Still, it's about medium format, and this is a large format board....