PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Velvia 50 Mk II

Dirk Rösler
25-Mar-2007, 23:30
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/433507561_6023a3c46f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaperls/433507561/)

Release date 15 Apr 2007 (Japan), 120/220 and 4x5 sheet only (loose sheets, Quickload)

roteague
25-Mar-2007, 23:42
Looks nice, very nice :D

David Rees
25-Mar-2007, 23:43
The choice of formats says a lot about where Fuji sees the future of film. But I wonder what the reaction is going to be about the lack of 35mm.

roteague
25-Mar-2007, 23:47
The choice of formats says a lot about where Fuji sees the future of film. But I wonder what the reaction is going to be about the lack of 35mm.

Fuji UK says it will be in 35mm as well.

http://choose-film.com/?page_id=5&xdforum_action=viewthread&xf_id=4&xt_id=94&pstart=0&search_words=

David Rees
26-Mar-2007, 00:13
Fuji UK says it will be in 35mm as well.

Robert -- thanks for the clarification. I'm relieved! Great news about Velvia 50 5x4 sheet film coming back; I am 70 sheets away from running out.

naturephoto1
26-Mar-2007, 03:18
Do we have any idea as to when we can expect the film in the US say at Badger Graphic and B&H photo. Also any ideas as to the pricing on the film in the different format sizes including QL. I kind of doubt that I will have any for my trip to Oregon May 1 to May 23. :( But, maybe I can have some shipped to me if it is available during the trip. :cool: I am down to about 140 sheets in QL form. :)

Rich

roteague
26-Mar-2007, 05:41
I keep hearing late May/early June in the UK. But, since the UK is much more film-friendly than the US these days, who knows when we will get it.

steve simmons
26-Mar-2007, 12:01
As I said in another thread on this topic US availabil;ity should be mid Summer according to a US Fuji rep

steve simmons

roteague
26-Mar-2007, 15:12
As I said in another thread on this topic US availabil;ity should be mid Summer according to a US Fuji rep

steve simmons

Thanks Steve. I think everyone is getting anxious for the film to come out.

Walter Calahan
26-Mar-2007, 15:42
Will they sell an 8x10 version?

Scott Rosenberg
26-Mar-2007, 15:50
can anyone comment on the difference between MKII rvp 50 and the original?

naturephoto1
26-Mar-2007, 15:53
Hi Scott,

I do not think that anyone has any idea. I am not sure who has any of the MKII Protype film to try to make any comparison. Even with the prototype, I do not know how it will compare with the production film.

Rich

Scott Rosenberg
26-Mar-2007, 16:06
Hi Scott,

I do not think that anyone has any idea. I am not sure who has any of the MKII Protype film to try to make any comparison. Even with the prototype, I do not know how it will compare with the production film.

Rich

thanks, rich. i guess we'll just wait and see. i've switched to provia and even some astia recently, as i'm finding they scan better than velvia. i wonder if the 'newest' velvia will be an improvement in that area... we'll see.

steve simmons
26-Mar-2007, 16:13
View Camera has some of the older Velvia 50 and will compare it to the new version as soon as we get some of the new film.

steve simmons

Eric James
26-Mar-2007, 20:15
Steve, I'll probably attempt the same comparison in 35mm format, but I realize that storage and film life are insurmountable variables to making many solid conclusions. Eric

Hiro
26-Mar-2007, 22:58
Will they sell an 8x10 version?
According to a press release dated Mar. 15 at Fuji Japan site, the new Velvia (Velvia50 Professional) will be available in 8x10. It also lists 5x7 as a special-order item. Although it doesn't guarantee they will be available in any market, I expect Badger and others can/will get them in the U.S.

As to 35mm, Fuji will continue selling current products (I assume 100/100F) for the time being and "consider" switching to the new film based on the evaluation of inventory. It's a little unclear, but my interpretation is they want to make some assessments in the small format--the film-digital balance, which film to keep/drop, etc.--while selling off what they have.

c marks
27-Mar-2007, 04:09
I am really looking forward to this film as Velvia is my all time favorite film. The 100F never even came close. The Velvia 100 which was hailed as "exactly the same but faster" was a big disapointment. First I found that I had to shoot it as a 160 speed film or you would be way overexposed (and that was in three formats in four cameras). Plus it just lacked the wonderful "glow" that Velvia had.

Fuji had a "new Coke" moment and I am glad they are bringing back the classic.

Cannot wait to get some. I hope when they say "same", that it really is.

Dirk Rösler
3-Apr-2007, 14:56
Actually, you are right, it will be available in 10x8 and 5x7. The flyer says the same as the press release, but for some reason the rep at the trade show only told me about 120/220 and 4x5.

Old Velvia 50 is still available in 35mm and 10x8, so if you want to compare, there is still a way to get old RVP.

roteague
3-Apr-2007, 20:19
The Velvia 100 which was hailed as "exactly the same but faster" was a big disapointment. First I found that I had to shoot it as a 160 speed film or you would be way overexposed

I don't know what your style is, but I've always shot both Velvia 100 and 100F at exactly 100, and not found any problems with overexposure.

c marks
4-Apr-2007, 17:15
I don't know what your style is, but I've always shot both Velvia 100 and 100F at exactly 100, and not found any problems with overexposure.

Then you had better luck than me. I used Velvia 100 in two different 35mm bodies, my Mamiya, and shot sheets. I shoot landscapes and found that across all four that exposing as an ASA100 film it was overexposed. Tried shooting at 125, got better. Tried 160 and got best. This was in cameras that are spot on for all other film. It was a very frustrating experience.

Then even after getting the exposure found, I still did not like the quality of the colors. And that is the worst part by far. Velvia 50 has this certain glow that 100F and the 100 lacked for me.

Still have a few boxes of 50 left and look forward to Velvia II

Harley Goldman
4-Apr-2007, 19:50
I shoot Velvia 100 straight up and it works fine for me. The old 50 I shot at 40 and was happy with the results.

I would very much agree on the colors with the new 100. I hate the way it treats reds. I like the Velvia look, but the reds are so far over the top that sometimes shots are almost unsalvagable.

c marks
5-Apr-2007, 18:35
I shoot Velvia 100 straight up and it works fine for me. The old 50 I shot at 40 and was happy with the results.

I would very much agree on the colors with the new 100. I hate the way it treats reds. I like the Velvia look, but the reds are so far over the top that sometimes shots are almost unsalvagable.

Did you ever do an outdoor shots where you did Velvia 50, Velvia 100, and Velvia 100F of the same scene? That is where the difference really jumped out. In soft light not so much but in magic hour/sunset light is where Velvia 50 has yet to be equalled for me at least)

I did some images in wonderful sunset light. If you look at the 100F by itself and you would say it was nice. Look at the 100 alone and you said nice. Compare 100 to 100F and the 100 looks warmer but both looked nice. However when I got to the Velvia 50 it was way better than either 100 or 100F. It was warm and "glowed". It was the WOW image. So while neither 100 is bad I think 50 is just better.

At 3pm not sure anyone is better than another, but at sunset/sunrise light the 50 is hard to beat.

Here is to hoping the new 50 has that same quality.

Renee Galang
6-Apr-2007, 02:33
"Here is to hoping the new 50 has that same quality"

My hope is that plus be available in 11x14!

eric florentino
5-May-2007, 21:16
IN QUICKOADS! oh dear. i've gotten saliva all over my keyboard.

roteague
5-May-2007, 22:59
It is available as test rolls in the UK.

Songyun
6-May-2007, 01:23
"Here is to hoping the new 50 has that same quality"

My hope is that plus be available in 11x14!
Is there any lab developing 11X14 E-6?

Ted Harris
6-May-2007, 04:28
I have the new Velvia in hand thanks to Dirk and Megaperls. Now that we have sun and the beginnings of Spring in Northern New England I will start shooting it side-by-side with the last of the old Velvia which I have been saving for the test. Good idea to also test against Velvia 100 too.

A full article will be in the July-August View Camera and I will post a couple of images here ... likely late next week.

Gary Smith
6-May-2007, 05:45
I have shot a couple of rolls of it, vs Velvia 100 and old Velvia 50. I need to spend some more time with it, but initially I am very pleased. It seems to be very very close to the old Velvia 50.

When I get my scanner repaired I can post a couple of shots if anyone is interested.

Gary

Ted Harris
6-May-2007, 06:32
Gary it will also be interesting to hear and see what you think of thenew Velvia in rolls v. the sheet film.

Gary Smith
6-May-2007, 07:01
Gary it will also be interesting to hear and see what you think of thenew Velvia in rolls v. the sheet film.

I have a box of the new Velvia in 4x5 here already, but have not had a chance to use it yet. Its on my list of things to do in the next couple of weeks, but I still have several boxes of the old velvia on ice.

Gary

ZoneIII
16-May-2007, 22:19
I just happened to see this thread when I was looking for something else but it really caught my interest. Are you saying that Fuji Velvia 50 is coming back in sheet film sizes? If so, is it different or improved from the old version? I just ran out of my large stock of the old version of Velvia 50 and I have switched to Velvia 100. The word was that Velvia 100 was actually sharper and an all-round better than Velvia 50, not to mention beingfaster and having far better reciprocity characteristics so I am wondering why 50 would come back unless it is improved. What's the story?

steve simmons
17-May-2007, 08:01
View Camera will show new and old Vevia 50 in a side by side camparison in our July issue.

steve simmons

Eric James
17-May-2007, 12:46
Here's the film data sheet for the new Velvia 50 from the USA site:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/Velvia50AF3-960E_1.pdf

I'm a bit diappointed to learn of the reciprocity performance - Astia 100F has spoiled me.

JPlomley
17-May-2007, 16:20
I'm wondering if the new version is going to also be a true ISO 40 film?

roteague
17-May-2007, 18:19
I'm wondering if the new version is going to also be a true ISO 40 film?

Don't know. I shoot the old version at 50 most of the time.

JPlomley
12-Jun-2007, 09:21
Anyone hear of a firm delivery date for distribution in Canada and the US? The main reason I decided to switch back to film was b/c of the re-introduction of Velvia 50; it was also part of the inspiration for trying 4x5....

steve simmons
12-Jun-2007, 09:23
If you can make it to the View Camera conference you can ask the Fuji rep. I am told mid-summer.

steve simmons

JPlomley
12-Jun-2007, 13:20
Cheers Steve. Won't be able to make the conference this year (having just gotten into LF it seemed a bit premature), but hopefully there will be an online and/or View Camera magazine summary report?

gregstidham
12-Jun-2007, 13:42
I was in downtown Toronto this morning picking up some Fuji 4x5 film I ordered. Yes, ordered..., no one stocks it here anymore. When I asked about the new Velvia 50 I got a blank look. They didn't even know about it.

Maybe the new Velvia 50 is not coming to Canada. lol

Jim Rice
12-Jun-2007, 14:14
Damn, now I'm gonna need a 105mm polarizer.

Ted Harris
12-Jun-2007, 14:34
Jeff,

I just finished writing my review/report of the new Velvia 50 and it is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the original film. One of the tests done was old Velvia - new Velvia - Velvia 100 and Velvia 100 just doesn't hold up to the original or the new film. Some loss of shadow detail and muddier colors. You can find the spec sheet for the new film at the Fuji UK website. The article will be in the next issue of the magazine.

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-Jun-2007, 15:35
Jeff,

I just finished writing my review/report of the new Velvia 50 and it is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the original film. One of the tests done was old Velvia - new Velvia - Velvia 100 and Velvia 100 just doesn't hold up to the original or the new film. Some loss of shadow detail and muddier colors. You can find the spec sheet for the new film at the Fuji UK website. The article will be in the next issue of the magazine.

Jeff,

Jeff,

I guess good news can`t be repeated often enough ;)

Ted Harris
13-Jun-2007, 07:00
LOLOLOL .... Thanks Amund. Good news indeed but I deleted them anyway so as not to clog up space.

JPlomley
13-Jun-2007, 14:28
Thanks Ted. Looking forward to your review. I can now breath a sigh of relief that the characterisitics of the original Velvia 50 have been preserved.

Gary Tarbert
6-Aug-2007, 05:29
I log on to Badger Graphics website everyday in eager anticipation ,But alas still no velvia 50.When this legendary emulsion was discontinued ,i played Don Mclean's
"American Pie"on my stereo because to me it was the day the music died!!
(till we meet again old friend),cheers Gary

Colleen K
6-Aug-2007, 08:22
Adorama appears to have the new Velvia 50 in stock in Quickloads-it looks a little pricey. I wonder if they're getting it through some back door source and hiking the price or if it's really going to be that price when everyone has it in stock. I'm looking forward to it being available outside of Quickloads.
Colleen

JPlomley
6-Aug-2007, 09:14
or if it's really going to be that price when everyone has it in stock

Personally, I don't care what it costs. It was the reintroduction of this emulsion that was the catalyst for me to sell off all my digital equipment and "invest" in 4x5. I fully expect all film costs to rise in the future given diminishing demand coupled with the requirement for the manufacturers to maintain some level of profitability. Price of admission I suppose

JPlomley
6-Aug-2007, 18:54
Well, about two hours after I posted this I went to PhotoService in Montreal to pick up some PEC Pads, and I'll be damned if they were not loading Velvia 50 10 packs into the refrigerator. Bought two on the spot and will test next weekend against the old Velvia. I'm interested in how well the new Velvia pushes. I suspect 50 pushed one stop is going to do much better than RVP 100 in terms of shadow detail and the absence of magenta. Price for the 10 pack of RVP 50 was $32.95 CDN.

Rob_5419
10-Aug-2007, 14:08
The Velvia sheet film hasn't quite come out in England yet.

From the Fuji Newsletter (worthwhile subscribing to - they give you the first hand info):

FUJIFILM PROFESSIONAL News Update - 7 August 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------

Velvia 50 re-launch information

Fujifilm Professional has announced details of two events to celebrate
the re-launch of Fujichrome Velvia 50.

Stocks of the new Fujichrome Velvia 50 are now arriving into the UK,
much to relief of discerning photographers! The first batch of 35mm and
120 are available now and the full range of formats will be available by
mid August.

For further details visit

www.fujifilm.co.uk/professional/films/fujichrome_velvia50.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's almost 'mid-August' and I've not found any 4x5" Velvia 50 yet. That's okay since I only have about half a freezer to get through.

Not sure about 'pushing Velvia'. It does 'pull' very well though. If you're interested in a film for high contrast, Velvia in northern hemisphere summer mid-days responds very well to pulling to ISO 32 by 1/2 stop and the contrast control is as good as Provia with more saturation. There is a mild cold shift (or is that my Nikkor lenses?). Kodak Q labs regularly end up with magenta casts on Velvia sheets, although I've noticed a lot of golden hour shots on Velvia look surreal and colourful like Neverneverland.

JPlomley
10-Aug-2007, 19:05
A lot of pro's have earned their living with Neverneverland Velvia. I applaud Fuji for bringing back this sorely missed emulsion. I wonder if this re-introduction will encourage DLSR shooters to abandon ship and come on over to LF? Or at least back to film. Was this Fuji's real intent? How much of the pro film market did they lose to digital as a result of the discontinuation of Velvia 50?

Uri Kolet
12-Aug-2007, 13:52
So what do I do with the 27 boxes of 50-sheet Velvia 4x5 that are already in my fridge, then? (Keeping my 1972 Panatomic X company, may I add.) I always return from an overseas flight to find that my wife has sneaked more food into the fridge. I'd always assumed that at our age the fridge was for film. Kodak Rochester warned me recently that fridge or freezer storage won't block the effects of gamma radiation; I replied that after 41 years of international flying I've probably absorbed enough radiation not to need the light on in the bathroom! When I bought fresh Astia recently,
our son commented "Hey Dad, you're going to have to wait 2 years to shoot this stuff".

roteague
12-Aug-2007, 13:56
So what do I do with the 27 boxes of 50-sheet Velvia 4x5 that are already in my fridge, then? (Keeping my 1972 Panatomic X company, may I add.) I always return from an overseas flight to find that my wife has sneaked more food into the fridge. I'd always assumed that at our age the fridge was for film. Kodak Rochester warned me recently that fridge or freezer storage won't block the effects of gamma radiation; I replied that after 41 years of international flying I've probably absorbed enough radiation not to need the light on in the bathroom! When I bought fresh Astia recently,
our son commented "Hey Dad, you're going to have to wait 2 years to shoot this stuff".

So when are you coming back to Hawaii? It would be great to have lunch again, and talk photography.

steve simmons
16-Aug-2007, 13:15
I think the fact that Fuji brought this film back is a good sign.

It seems the film users keep befudling (SP?) the film manufacturers!!

This is a good thing.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

JPlomley
22-Aug-2007, 11:05
Well, I used up all the Velvia 50 I could find in Montreal so contacted Jim at Midwest today to try and get some more. They have already sold out their first shipment. Looks like Fuji has a winner (as if there was any doubt), lets just hope they can keep all of us landscape photographers supplied for the upcoming fall season. If not, it's back to E100VS.

v gese
24-Aug-2007, 20:24
Received some of the "new" Velvia 50 today from Badger Graphics. They have only the quickloads in 4x5; they are still waiting on boxed 4x5. Give Jeff a call. Best price on the quickloads I have seen. Planning on getting out soon and see how this compares to the old Velvia 50.
Best, Vance Gese

gregstidham
25-Aug-2007, 18:06
lol :)