PDA

View Full Version : Wisner back springs & GG grid lines

Scott Sharp
24-Mar-2007, 21:38
Hello,

I recently bought a Wisner Technical Field 4 x 5 used. The camera was in very good shape but I have a couple of questions regarding the GG back. 1. The springs for the GG frame are very stiff. I took them off and tried bending them but they are still too stiff. Anyone tried the bail installed by Richard Ritter? Does it make a difference? 2. The actual ground glass grid lines are wearing off. These grid lines are clear and I wanted to know if anyone had an idea how they were applied to the glass. Were the lines decals, varnished, lacquered or etched on? Any idea how to restore them?

Thanks, Scott

alec4444
24-Mar-2007, 21:51
Hey Scott,

Richard installed a bail back on my Wisner 11x14, and I can assure you that henceforth I cannot shoot without it. Amazingly simple, and it completely keeps the camera from shifting when inserting a filmholder. It also allows you to KEEP the stiff springs (which you want). Money well spent for sure.

I know less about the gridlines, but from whay I've heard you can put them back with a pencil. The nice part about that approach is the ability to customize the lines to your liking. Didn't come out right? Wash it off and try again! :)

--A

Dave Parker
24-Mar-2007, 22:19
If I remember correctly the clear grid lines are actually etched into the glass, but it sounds like you might have a screen that had thin strips of clear tape applied after the screen was actually made. You can apply new grid lines by using a #2 pencil and a template, I have 4 templates available for free download on my website if that would help. Also another way I have done grids in experiments is to lay the glass over a template and use the pointed tip of a knife to mark the glass. But the quickest way is to us a template and a regular pencil with a ruler.

Good luck, if I can help, just give me a holler.

Dave

RichardRitter
25-Mar-2007, 05:56
The line were silk screemed onto the glass after etching. Dave Parker's way works great and if you don't like what you see you can wash the lines off and start over. As to the bail I would put one on. Wisner cameras have very stiff springs and they will break if you try to do any adjustments to then.

Richard

alec4444
25-Mar-2007, 06:06
Funny, someone just so happens to be selling one with the bail back if you want to see what it would look like:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24393

--A

Scott Sharp
25-Mar-2007, 13:27
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like the bail Richard installs on Wisners is a good solution. It might also be easier to install a new GG and pencil in my own grid lines rather than replicate the Wisner clear grid. I'll post an update when the work on my Wisner is completed.