PDA

View Full Version : Estate Planning - where will your gear go?

Ralph Barker
23-Mar-2007, 08:39
Salty raised an interesting question in the "too many lenses" thread: where will your gear go when you head off for the great darkroom (or, lightroom) in the sky? Will your offspring end up selling that rare Docter Optics Germinar for $15.00 at a garage sale, or will it end up in the trash because "nobody shoots film anymore"? Have you thought about this? Do you care?

I know my son isn't likely to appreciate the value of my camera gear, so I've been considering alternatives for distribution via my will. Have you?

Dave Parker
23-Mar-2007, 08:44
Most of my gear is slated for donation to a local school that still teaches traditional photographic methods...my family, which is now very small really has no interest in the equipment. The photographs, slides and negs area another story, they will be left to my wife, if I am first to go, if not they will be left to a local museum that hopefully will use them as a display on the merits and techniques of the traditional photographic methods.

Dave

Ash
23-Mar-2007, 08:44
I'm still young (I turn 20 this year).

If I die in a freak accident, dying before my time, all that rubbish - almost all my gear will go to a photographer, who happens to be my best friend.

She'll get first-dibs on a few bits, and depending on how much I have, and all that, maybe some will go to others I've met through photography forums who have been generous to me.

That is, unless i end up with kids or a spouse who loves photography. Either way Lauren (best friend) will get some of the kit. Anyone else can fight over the rest.

In the unlikely event Lauren and I no longer talk, or she's off making cyanotypes in the clouds, then I'll probably leave it to a relative with a list of values to stick it on an auction site and raise money to erect a huge monument in my honour..err... raise money for a charity (if I died from something there is a charity for) and for spouse/kids/whatever.

That's my thoughts anyway. I don't really plan on dying anytime soon though.

Anything of historical significance that CAN'T be used will go to a museum or a private collector. I'd hate to see something that can be used turn to dust.

MIke Sherck
23-Mar-2007, 08:55
Why should it go somewhere? I'm not going anywhere... ;)

mjs

Ted Harris
23-Mar-2007, 09:04
Ralph,

Interesting question. Not one that I want to dwell on very long but. But, you are correct, many of us have a geat deal invested in equipment, especially those that do this for a living. My wife and I haven't discussed it directly bu tI think I will tell her to call Jim Andracki and sell the stuff to him as a package. Some of the studio andsarkroom equipment may bring less than on the open market but lenses, cameras, etc. will get a fair price. I know Jim buy's photographer's estates so that's my approach.

Frank Petronio
23-Mar-2007, 09:05
I want it burnt up with me. Nobody has ever photographed hell before ;-)

Eric Rose
23-Mar-2007, 09:05
Mine will be split between my wife who also happens to be a LF photographer and the rest will be offered to my best photo buddy. What he doesn't want will be offered for sale on eBay with the proceeds going to the estate.

Walter Calahan
23-Mar-2007, 09:17
To whoever buys it in an estate sale. I'm sure my wife can get a few bucks for it all. Personally I'm not going to worry about it.

Ash
23-Mar-2007, 09:23
In fact, I'd like for a few items to go really cheap.. to someone in their late teens on a tight budget. Someone like me at the age I'm currently at.

Of course, finding another person like me is gonna be bloody difficult!

alec4444
23-Mar-2007, 09:30
I think I'd want to be buried with it... :) Really, though... I might consider having it donated to a reputable school like ICP or something. I'm not big on the whole concept of charitable contributions (from a macroeconomics standpoint), but at least that way I'd know it would be used.

--A

David Karp
23-Mar-2007, 09:30
My 4 year old told me the other day that he wants to learn how to use my camera that uses the cloth over my head. Maybe the 6 year old will be interested too. He does like his Holga. If that keeps up, I know where it will go.

John Bartley
23-Mar-2007, 09:31
For the most part my philosophy is the same as Walters. I won't likely have any equipment of any real value, so it will go with whatever estate I have and I'm not going to worry about it.

Anything I do have of any significance ($ value or otherwise) will be noted in my will or be disposed of before I go (barring an unexpected death). As an example (in another hobby), I have just donated what seems to be a very rare 1930's communication setup to the Communications and Electronics museum (RC Sigs) in Kingston Ontario. Because there doesn't appear to be another one in Canada (that I can find)and because mine was mint original, it needed to be there, so I arranged it first and that way my estate executor doesn't need to worry about it and it will get to the museum in good condition. I can go and see it any time I want to so there's no hardship there. If I acquire any significant photo gear, I'll try to do the same thing with it.

cheers eh?

Jack Flesher
23-Mar-2007, 10:10
I've told my wife what my gear is worth and given her a list of who to contact if it needs to be sold and I'm not around... I should probably leave the contact list in the cabinet with all the gear in case my kiss need it since they'd have no clue...

Salty
23-Mar-2007, 10:28
I think what would bother me most would be the idea of my equipment being bought up cheaply by someone with the intent of turning a quick, large profit. I've seen it too many times in the past where a collection of lenses/equipment turn up on an auction site, then the auction is closed prematurely, and shortly after they're relisted individually by another seller at a much higher price. Call them entrepreneurs, whatever, but I'd rather give specific lenses to friends who will keep and use them.

John Brady
23-Mar-2007, 11:11
I've told my wife what my gear is worth and given her a list of who to contact if it needs to be sold and I'm not around... ..

Jack, if I gave my wife a list of all my photo gear and what it was worth, I would probably be gone before my time!!!:D

I hope she's not here when the 58xl gets delivered today.

jb

Frank Petronio
23-Mar-2007, 12:28
My best "estate" sale came from a bankrupted "day-trader" who was still very much breathing but might as well of been dead.

Day-trading. It just makes me smile ;-)

ljb0904
23-Mar-2007, 12:36
I think you all should will your large format gear to me. I'm sticking around awhile :-D

Ole Tjugen
23-Mar-2007, 12:57
I just assume that Antonio Stasi's second-hand camera shop would suddenly be full of weird old junk. :)

Brian Ellis
23-Mar-2007, 14:12
I think we should leave everything to Ash, any 20 year old who's into LF photography is a worthy cause.

Ash
23-Mar-2007, 14:20
I like the sound of that :D

David A. Goldfarb
23-Mar-2007, 14:30
Man, I just found out I had bursitis in my right shoulder yesterday. Do I have to start thinking about this now?

Jack Flesher
23-Mar-2007, 14:42
Man, I just found out I had bursitis in my right shoulder yesterday. Do I have to start thinking about this now?

Yep, got that myself exactly one year ago... I'm still trying to excercise it out and I finally have to to where I think it is just going to be one of those normal "old man" pains.

The acceptance of that fact sucks by the way...

Keith Pitman
23-Mar-2007, 14:43
After I'm dead, I don't care. I did tell my wife to get together with a friend who knows about photo gear (and a few other things I have that she will not want) and sell it for whatever she can get. If my friend dies first, I don't know what she will do--and he's 10 years older!

alec4444
23-Mar-2007, 19:42

Yes. Now let's talk about pricing for that 7x17..... :D

--A

David Karp
23-Mar-2007, 19:49

Its from carrying the kid around.

Greg Lockrey
23-Mar-2007, 20:26
My current wife and I are going to go together. We have it in our wills that the two dogs will be embalmed and buried with us. The house will have the windows bricked up and be converted into our "pyrimid". What cash is left, the kids can fight over, all the stuff stays with us. :eek: :D :p

David A. Goldfarb
23-Mar-2007, 20:34
Yes. Now let's talk about pricing for that 7x17..... :D

--A

I can carry it in my left hand.

Its from carrying the kid around.

He's not for sale.

Actually, the doctor gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder and put me on Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory for a couple of weeks, and told me to try not to stress it too much, and I feel a lot better today. Two days ago when this hit, I started feeling a twinge when I was working on my computer in my office and by evening I could barely pull my shirt over my head.

jwaddison
23-Mar-2007, 20:46
If I can't take it with me I'm not going, to quote some famous wag.

David Karp
23-Mar-2007, 21:24
Actually, the doctor gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder and put me on Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory for a couple of weeks, and told me to try not to stress it too much, and I feel a lot better today. Two days ago when this hit, I started feeling a twinge when I was working on my computer in my office and by evening I could barely pull my shirt over my head.

Been there. I pretty much stopped exercising when no. 1 was born 6 years ago. Recently started again. In between, there were a few cortisone shots! I attribute it not to age, but to not having enough time to exercise. :rolleyes:

Rob Vinnedge
23-Mar-2007, 21:41
I've always liked the idea of a tontine. Why don't we large format members subscribe to one? Imagine what that ninety-nine year old crippled survivor would have on his/her hands after we're all gone.- the complete production of Artars, Dagors, Koronas, Deardorffs, etc. and no ability to use them.

chris jordan
23-Mar-2007, 23:05
Just a sec, haven't you guys noticed: there are NO photographs being sent back from the afterlife. It's obvious why: no one is taking their cameras with them! So I'm being buried with my camera around my neck, and a wireless JPEG transmitter on my belt. It'll be a whole new body of work, wait, I mean, a whole new out-of-body of work...

Ron Bose
24-Mar-2007, 06:33
Chris, I love that response !

Seriously, we should all consider when we reach 'that' age (whenever that may be), we should find a protoge, a younger family member preferably, and teach them everything we know about LF, traditional B&W and film photography.

This way we are keeping the knowledge alive and also have someone to leave our gear to ...

My girlfriend is eleven years younger than me and has always had her eye on my Phillips ....

Pete Roody
24-Mar-2007, 07:41
My Will says cremation for me. I think I will add my equipment to that list. I will be doing everybody a favor since there will be less equipment in the marketplace and that means your stuff will be worth more.

Pete

Ash
24-Mar-2007, 07:46
Pete, give me the address of the crematorium, I'd love to dispose of your camera gear for you *shifty eyes* :)

Randy H
24-Mar-2007, 08:01
My girlfriend is eleven years younger than me and has always had her eye on my Phillips ....

If she is eleven years younger, and her eyes are on your "Phillips", you might start looking for another girlfriend:rolleyes:

I don't think there will be any problem disposing of all my photo stuff. Low-end woodies and enlargers and such will probably make a great fire in the fireplace for oh, about 2 minutes.

Ralph Barker
24-Mar-2007, 09:02
How about selling the gear in advance, but retaining a "life estate", so the future croakor could continue to use it? Sort of like a reverse annuity. :eek:

Jack Flesher
24-Mar-2007, 09:14
If she is eleven years younger, and her eyes are on your "Phillips", you might start looking for another girlfriend:rolleyes:

I don't think there will be any problem disposing of all my photo stuff. Low-end woodies and enlargers and such will probably make a great fire in the fireplace for oh, about 2 minutes.

If she's 11 years younger AND has eyes for ANY view amera, I want her phone number so I can tell her I'd buy her one of her very own!

:D,

Jack Flesher
24-Mar-2007, 09:16
How about selling the gear in advance, but retaining a "life estate", so the future croakor could continue to use it? Sort of like a reverse annuity. :eek:

The sad fact is, many of us have enough value in gear it probably should be listed in a living trust...

davidb
24-Mar-2007, 09:23
All my gear is being sent to MOMA because I will surely be famous by the time I die.

:)

Salty
24-Mar-2007, 09:57
How about selling the gear in advance, but retaining a "life estate", so the future croakor could continue to use it? Sort of like a reverse annuity.

Me, being the eternal pessimist wouldn't do such a thing even if I had a lawyer draw up the agreement. With my luck, I'd want to go over to use the equipment and see a new Porsche in the driveway of the equipment "keeper".....

:rolleyes:

Anupam
24-Mar-2007, 09:57
"I swear I will not die today for any man's persuasion."
-Measure for Measure

Robert Hughes
24-Mar-2007, 10:29
I take classes at the Photoworks lab in Glen Echo Park. About once a month, a box full of darkroom gear appears at the doorstep, usually with expired paper & film but much gear in good shape. The instructors haggle between themselves over the good stuff, and the old paper gets left out for us to use as we wish. I've been making postcards for weeks from one of those abandoned paper stashes.