PDA

View Full Version : I really need filter advice for Schneider 47mm XL

Robert J Pellegrino
22-Aug-2000, 22:40
I've ordered a new Schneider 47mm XL lens and center filter for my Arca 6x9 F-li ne. This lens has a 67mm front tread,while the center filter has a 86mm front t hread. I shoot mostly black and white film on a 6x7 format, therefore I use col ored filters often. What filter arrangement or system will work with this lens and center filter without causing vingetting??? I want to be able to use both t he center filter and a contrast enhancing filter at the same time. Will the stan dart Lee filter foundation system and resin filters work with this lens and cent er filter??? Can I also install a 67mm UV filter to protect the front lens elem ent, before installing the center filter??? I would really like to order whatev er filters that I'll need for this lens, some time later this week. So any rela vant and constructive advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks so much. Bob P.

Larry Huppert
23-Aug-2000, 00:41
Do you care about using the 47XL with camera movements? If so, the Lee system with a 67mm Wide Angle adapter will work fine without the CF. Lee doesn't make a Wide Angle adapter larger than 82mm, so you have to take a different approach when using the CF. If you don't care about camera movements, you could probably get by with a standard 86mm adapter in-front of the CF. If you care about movements, Lee has another solution. It's the FK-100 foundation kit which is designed to fit over the outer barrel of the 72XL and 90XL (w/o CF attached). I believe Lee makes a VERY expensive "step-down" adapter which converts the FK-100 so it will slip over the 47XL CF. For lots less money, I had Steve Grimes make a slip-on filter holder for the 47XL CF. It works great!

Larry Huppert
23-Aug-2000, 07:55
I forgot to answer your second question. It is *extremely* doubtful that you could attach a 67mm UV behind the CF. The angle of view of the 47XL is very very wide. Sometimes it feels like you must be careful in 4x5 to keep your tripod legs out of the shot :-)

Ellis Vener
23-Aug-2000, 17:02
I wouldn't bother with adding the UV filter.

Robert J Pellegrino
24-Aug-2000, 23:17
Thanks for your input, I've decided to purchase a set of 86mm filters both UV and black and white. I will mount a single 86mm filter on top of the center filter when, and if needed. I will will also use a 67-86mm step up ring with these same filters when the center filter is not required. This seems, at least to me, to be the most logical approach to the problem. Once again thanks for your input. Bob P.

Bob Salomon
25-Aug-2000, 06:34
There is no need to mount a UV on top of a center filter. The glass in the Center filter will reduce most UV anyway.

A warming filter like a KR 1.5 might be desireable for color anyway.

If you do stack filters make sure you are using slim rim filters

dangal
4-Sep-2000, 20:52
Hello folks, I use a central grad filter 3C for this lens which evens up the illumination perfectly in 4X5. However, I'm having sharpness problem with this lens. The images that I am getting are simply not sharp. I use a sturdy manfrotto tripod and cable release but still the images aren't sharp especially with polaroid film and back. Any advice will greatly apprecieated.