PDA

View Full Version : LOVE Polaroid Type 52 LOVE

Frank Petronio
20-Mar-2007, 19:08
Back in the day, working on table top junk, photographers I assisted would tell the art directors "it's just the Polaroid... it'll be OK on the real film." OK, I was guilty of the saying it myself sometimes too.

I didn't use Polaroid much for the last ten years or so...But, lately I've been using Type 52 (ISO 400) to test my HP-5. And it works really well... in warm conditions, out in the snow, tungsten or daylight, no matter. I gotta learn to trust the Polaroid. Love that Polaroid.

Like the shot I posted earlier that I had to salvage because the lighting sucked. I did a Polaroid and knew it sucked. But I told myself the film would be better and I could work it out. But it wasn't really true. I should have slowed down, relit things, done more Polaroids...

I swear the Type 52 is fricking dead nuts everytime. Worth the price and hassle. Damn, I even like the coater smell.

Are they making it better these days since Polaroid went bankrupt? It never seemed as easy or consistent back in the 80s...

Brian C. Miller
20-Mar-2007, 19:27
"I love the coater smell in the morning. It smells like ... Polaroid!"

I recently used up some Type 57 with an expiration date of 1999. All I had to do was adjust the "development" time, and it was good to go.

Chris Strobel
20-Mar-2007, 20:48
Frank what E.I. are you shooting the 52 and Hp5 at?Are you using the 52 for exposure reference as well as composition?I just picked up some Hp5 and PMK myself.First time for both.

Back in the day, working on table top junk, photographers I assisted would tell the art directors "it's just the Polaroid... it'll be OK on the real film." OK, I was guilty of the saying it myself sometimes too.

I didn't use Polaroid much for the last ten years or so...But, lately I've been using Type 52 (ISO 400) to test my HP-5. And it works really well... in warm conditions, out in the snow, tungsten or daylight, no matter. I gotta learn to trust the Polaroid. Love that Polaroid.

Like the shot I posted earlier that I had to salvage because the lighting sucked. I did a Polaroid and knew it sucked. But I told myself the film would be better and I could work it out. But it wasn't really true. I should have slowed down, relit things, done more Polaroids...

I swear the Type 52 is fricking dead nuts everytime. Worth the price and hassle. Damn, I even like the coater smell.

Are they making it better these days since Polaroid went bankrupt? It never seemed as easy or consistent back in the 80s...

Frank Petronio
20-Mar-2007, 23:15
320 for all seems to work, Praus does my film

Greg Lockrey
21-Mar-2007, 06:35
I worked for a former Hollywood cinematogrpaher in Charleston, SC in the 70's who said many times "take the finest camera with the best lens and shoot at optimum aperature and exposure value on Polaroid and get a mediocre photo.":eek: But I did get to see some 2 meter Polaroids in Venice in the mid 70's used to record artwork prior to restoration that were absolutley incredible.:)