PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Type 55 P/N Film & Processing Marks

Rob_5419
20-Mar-2007, 17:54
I'm getting more and more Polaroid banding marks which look like a steam roller has tried to run over my Polaroid prints.

Opened up the cassette and cleaned out the rollers with alcohol as well as removing the debris from the rubber rollers.

There isn't a lot more I can see for cleaning however the marks are still evident. I'm using a Polaroid 545i type holder.

I know I should probably just tray process the negatives for a cleaner result... any advice or suggestions welcome.

Walter Calahan
20-Mar-2007, 18:24
Perhaps the rollers is no longer round.

Do you store it with the spring in the process or load position?

Rob_5419
20-Mar-2007, 18:28
Stored in the L position.

The rollers feel round although at times there is a sensation of grit somewhere. Is it reasonable to oil the metal rollers or is that asking for trouble?

PViapiano
21-Mar-2007, 00:30
Also, make sure you're pulling smoothly and evenly and not just ripping the film through the rollers.

Rob_5419
21-Mar-2007, 04:35
Also, make sure you're pulling smoothly and evenly and not just ripping the film through the rollers.

Yes. I regularly go through 8 boxes a year aware of this.

The banded-processing problem is more likely to be mechanical roller wear related. Will try more alcohol to see if the rollers are any cleaner.

Ted Harris
21-Mar-2007, 06:13
And yet another thought ... is the film fresh? I have had that sort of problem with out of date T55.

Remember the stuff just doesn't keep more than a few months (if you are lucky) beyon the expiration date) ... after that the film is still good but the proessing pods start to deeteriorate.

Rob_5419
22-Mar-2007, 10:03
Thanks Ted.

Film is fresh with expiry at 04.07.

It looks like another clean of the rollers improves the polaroid tremendously.

I wonder if anyone here tray processes Polaroid Type 55 P/N for a more consistent effect. Is it possible to tray process the negative and the paper separately, and develop a perfectly exposed negative and a perfectly exposed print by developing the negative in a fine grained developer and the Polaroid paper in a standard P/Q type solution for an extended period?