PDA

View Full Version : Focusing cloth question

JavaDuke
20-Mar-2007, 11:54
I was stanging on the south rim of Grand Canyon and focusing my old Toyo45F monorail camera when strong canyon wind nearly blew my focusing cloth away from me. I had my wife with me so I politely asked her to hold the cloth for me while I'm focusing and framing - but, unfortunately, having my wife with me every time I take pictures is not an option - she's too bulky, requires an additional power supply, won't fit standard baggage compartments on most aircraft and is only good for digital and 35mm ;)
So my question is simple - how do you guys hold focusing cloth in place? Or are there any inexpensive hoods that can be easily attached and then detached and folded?

alec4444
20-Mar-2007, 11:59
I agonized for a while over this and ended up with the BTZS cloth (http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=675) for my 11x14. Couldn't be happier. It has elastic that keeps it fitted to the camera and it's as dark as a cave inside. Was hoping to get one that I could throw over the whole camera to keep it dry (this was rubberized, but not big enough) but I decided to let that requirement go.

Others have been pleased with the Blackjacket (http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm).

--A

Eric Woodbury
20-Mar-2007, 12:00
Mine is velcro'd to the camera. Unfortunately, what this means is that the darkcloth and the camera blow away together. In high wind, I hang the camera bag on the tripod. When I used a loose cloth, I carried it on my shoulders, but others cover the camera and wrap a bungee around it at the neck.

Louie Powell
20-Mar-2007, 12:13
I share the spousal limitation, so I definitely understand your concern. And I don't think I would want to try to explain why she is coded as 'excess baggage'.

My practice generally is to use the darkcloth only for focusing, and once that step is done, I fold it up and put it back in my backpack. One of my concerns is that if you attach the darkcloth to the camera, it acts like a big sail. At best, it can introduce vibrations during long exposures, and it the worst case it can blow over the camera.

There are times, however, when photographing in bright sun, when I want to shade the back of the camera during the exposure. In those instances, I wrap the cloth around the rear standard of the camera, and then clip the two tails together under the camera using an "A clamp" that ordinarily hangs from the side of my backpack.

Walter Calahan
20-Mar-2007, 12:20
Small spring clamps bought in any hardware store.

I also have a BTZS for my 8x10 and 4x5 when I need more than a darkcloth.

My wife is never 'excess baggage' 'cause she refuses the hang around when I'm photographing. It's me carrying the 'excess baggage' after she done shopping. Grin.

JavaDuke
20-Mar-2007, 12:22
Hmm, I'm wondering if small spring clamps are strong enough to hold my wife :)
I think I will get the Blackjacket.
Thanks a lot to all who responded!

Ash
20-Mar-2007, 12:30
I use bulldog clips. It's held around the rear standard and clipped underneath. Can't go anywhere and it's non permanent :)

Jim Noel
20-Mar-2007, 12:41
Use a nice Black T-Shirt.
It works better than a dark cloth, covers tops, sides and bottom, is light in weight, folds up small, doesn't act like a sail in a strong wind.
A size "L" will fit well on most 4x5's. XXXL's fit 5x7.

My students have been advised in this direction for years.

Mark Stahlke
20-Mar-2007, 12:42
I had my wife with me so I politely asked her to hold the cloth for me while I'm focusing and framing - but, unfortunately, having my wife with me every time I take pictures is not an option - she's too bulky, requires an additional power supply, won't fit standard baggage compartments on most aircraft and is only good for digital and 35mm
Leave the wife at home and rent two scantily clad super models. Barring that (bar not bare) try a Blackjacket. The 8x10 model also fits 4x5 nicely.

Cheers,
Mark

jnantz
20-Mar-2007, 14:07
i use my hands to hold it on the back of the camera.
no clips, or springs, or elastics ( just fingers ).
nothing fancy for the cloth, just a piece of black felt ...

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
20-Mar-2007, 14:17
Wives and LF don't mix well:)

John Berry
20-Mar-2007, 14:45
The one I got when I was at the Formulary has magnets that stick to the front standard Of my V-8.

Ted Harris
20-Mar-2007, 15:02
I used the BTZS cloth for a number of years until Keith Walklet came up with the Black jacket now I use that as my primary and a BTZS as a backup. You can find out ore about the Blackjacket in other threads hee and at their web site http://www.quietworks.com/

Eric James
20-Mar-2007, 15:23
KW also sells a "Tweener"-sized Black Jacket if your back standard/ ground glass is on the large size for 4X5. It a great product!

You might consider having a look at the Ebony Camera website - their dark cloths (2 sizes) can be attached to the shade clamp with velcro. I'm not suggesting that you invest in this system, but seeing it may give you some ideas.

I know a LFer who uses a clothes pin to secure his cloth on the underside of his camera - this serves to block out extranious light. A small binder clamp would probably work well for this application.

John Alexander Dow
20-Mar-2007, 15:26
I use a lightweight anorak which means I can keep weight down and keep dry if it rains. I only it for focusing and then just look directly at the unshielded screen, unless the sun is shining directly on the screen. Ideally I would like a screen hood such as one might find on a Graflex (I have an Ebony RSW). For my photography - mostly landscape - f22 and slight front tilt means that grovelling in the corners with a lupe is not required. - regards JayDee

Louie Powell
20-Mar-2007, 17:34
The one I got when I was at the Formulary has magnets that stick to the front standard Of my V-8.

Is that your wife or your darkcloth?:)

Mike H.
20-Mar-2007, 22:21
Small bungee cord thingee with a built in clip at both ends. No idea where I found it. Can hang it on tripod adjusting handles or clip it under the camera (cloth over the top) for shade when needed. Wind can't take it anywhere. Works great. :)

Rakesh Malik
21-Mar-2007, 07:56
I use the Ebony lens shade clip that goes with their rather nice all-weather darkcloth. It still has the disadvantage of being a sail in high wind, but I don't leave the darkcloth attached after focussing if there's any wind.

Alan Davenport
21-Mar-2007, 12:51
I sewed my own darkcloth, with two layers of black fabric and one white. I think the weight of all that fabric helps a lot. I added Velcro to one end to close it around the camera, and part way down the sides to allow making it into a tube. I keep a few clothespins in the camera bag to help it needed.

naturephoto1
21-Mar-2007, 13:05
I use both the BTZS tube type Focusing Cloth which I already had and the Hybrid Blackjacket. The BTZS and the original Blackjacket Focusing Cloths weigh about 8oz but the more breathable Hybrid Blackjacket Focusing Cloth for 4 X 5 weighs closer to 18oz. I have the Hybrid Blackjacket for more humid conditions and when weight is not an issue. I may purchase the the original Blackjacket in the future to replace the BTZS Focusing Cloth for my light weight cloth, but for now it is fine.

Rich