PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Astragon 250mm f6.3??

Wayne R. Scott
18-Mar-2007, 15:41
Ok,

So I just bought a Commercial Astragon 250mm f6.3 in a Copal No.3 shutter with a 4x5 B&J Camera as a rear lens cap. Any one use this lens? Is this the same as a Congo? Tessar formula lens?

My original intention was to mount my 16 inch Red Dot Artar into the Copal No. 3 shutter and send the Astragon onto greener pastures. I have a Kodak Commercial Ektar 10" and a Kodak Ektar 190mm, both of these are in Ilex No. 4 shutters. It is my understanding that the Red Dot can be mounted into either the Ilex No. 4 or the Copal No. 3. Is the best plan to use the Copal shutter for the Red Dot instead of the Ilex No. 4? Should I use one of the Ilex shutters and send the Ektar onto greener pastures?

Wayne

BradS
18-Mar-2007, 23:33
Hmmm,
Well, I cannot help you with your shutter dilema but, I do think it would be really cool of you to offer to sell the B&J "rear lens cap" to the second highest bidder for a nice price....:):):) I'm pretty sure he was only interested in the camera.

Wayne R. Scott
19-Mar-2007, 04:15
Hmmm,
Well, I cannot help you with your shutter dilema but, I do think it would be really cool of you to offer to sell the B&J "rear lens cap" to the second highest bidder for a nice price....:):):) I'm pretty sure he was only interested in the camera.

Were you the second bidder Brad? Send me a PM if so.

Wayne

BradS
19-Mar-2007, 11:02
Hi Wayne,

Yes...that's me - bks62464. I've sent you a PM.

Brad.

Ernest Purdum
19-Mar-2007, 17:54
My belief is that the "Commercial Astragon" is one of the several house-branded lenses actually made by Yamasaki, the "Congo" maker. And yes, it should be a Tessar type.

Having your Red Dot re-mounted will be expensive in either shutter. If you care about resale value, the Copal would be more likely to justify the expense.

Carsten Wolff
19-Mar-2007, 19:08
doesn't an Ilex have a rounder aperture though? :)