PDA

View Full Version : Azo Paper

alec4444
18-Mar-2007, 08:13
Hey Guys,

Sorry, a bit behind the curve here... Was studying Chris Fazio's print from the exchange (http://gallery55.org/lfgallery/index.php?action=showpic&cat=2&pic=32) up close in person and really enjoyed seeing the qualities of Azo paper. Is this paper 100% dead? No special order ... not produced under another name ... no stashes left in the back of some old shop? =) It really is quite extraordinary...thanks Chris for sharing some with us!

--A

John Bowen
18-Mar-2007, 08:55
Alec,

It's no longer being produced, but Michael Smith is trying to have a similar silver chloride paper manufactured. Unfortunately it is taking much longer than many of us had hoped it would. Yeah, you might be lucky enough to find some in the back room of an old photo shop, your best bet is probably the 'Bay. Prices have been rather high of late.

Yes, it is a wonderful paper and I'm glad I have some stashed away until Michael Smith's replacement paper "Lodima" is finally available.

Louie Powell
18-Mar-2007, 08:55
Is this paper 100% dead? No special order ... not produced under another name ... no stashes left in the back of some old shop?--A

Azo was being manufactured by Kodak in a factory in Brazil. The factory was shut down last year, and Kodak has announced that all production of black and white paper has been discontinued.

Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee had and arrangement with Kodak as the distributors of Azo, and they had (and may still have) a small stock left. According to the story I heard, they also thought that they knew how much Kodak had left in a warehouse, but when they tried to buy it under the terms of their distributorship agreement, Kodak told them that there was nothing left. So either the information was incorrect, or else someone else got to it first.

You will occasionally see Azo for sale on e-Bay at exhorbitant prices.

Michael and Paula are working with a European manufacturer to produce a new silver-chloride contact paper, to be called Lodima (that's amidol spelled backwards). The process is being tested, but the product is not available yet. Check their website for the latest information - http://www.michaelandpaula.com.