PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 roll film back

jj golden
18-Mar-2007, 06:44
hey guys, i purchased a 6x9 roll rilm back (23 Graphic) no instructions, how do u know where the first frame starts? is there a mark on it somewhere that im not seeing? thanks

jj golden
18-Mar-2007, 06:49
lol never mind, i think i figured it out :o

Ted Harris
18-Mar-2007, 07:02
jj one note on those backs ... make sure the first roll of film you run through it is NOT crucial. They are notorious for film flatness issues .... issues that can be corrected, I understand with some minor modifications but someone else willhave to chime in with the "how to's."

I used to use a Graflex XL system and those backs were the weakest link in the system. I think I went through 10-15 backs to find 3 or 4 that gave me good film flatness.

GSX4
18-Mar-2007, 19:03
You need one of the backs with the small needle rollers installed at each end of the film gate. These are the later variants of the graflex film backs that have much better control of film flatness.

One other good practice to follow is only wind on to the next frame when you are ready to take the next picture. Do not wind on after your previous shot unless you intend to take another shot right away. The reason being that the tension from winding onto the next frame helps with keeping the film flat. This is good practice to follow even on backs with the needle rollers. If you wind on and do not take the shot for some time. The film can settle and start to buckle as the tension slackens slightly. Hope that explains it?

BrianShaw
18-Mar-2007, 19:14
You need one of the backs with the small needle rollers installed at each end of the film gate. These are the later variants of the graflex film backs that have much better control of film flatness.

For the 6x7 backs for 4x5, the ones with knob do not have the additional needle rollers but the backs with winding lever do. I assume this is true of Graflex baks in 6x9 also but haven't verified that myself.

Glenn Thoreson
18-Mar-2007, 19:50
Some, but not all, of the 23 series holders have pin rollers. The RH series all have them. The 22 series don't have them. I use all of them and never had a problem. The advice to only advance the film when ready to shoot is worth heeding. I have modified a couple of 22 series holders by putting thin strips of self sticking camera seal foam in the approriate spot inside the shell. Not something I would recommend to everyone because of potential scratching. It works for me, though. Dead flat film. Mostly because it doesn't have a choice. I'm very nit picky about keeping dust out, though, because the emulsion rides over the foam. What ever works is my motto.