PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Buy ... 7 x 17

Rick Olson
14-Mar-2007, 20:39
Well, I have finally amassed all of my support equipment for a new 7 x 17 camera, including 16 x 20 drums, motor bases, developing trays (seed trays) and a near new 355mm G-Claron. Now, all I need is the camera. This is where I am hitting a wall. I just got the new VC magazine and read the article by Michael Mutmansky on the Chamonix and Ritter cameras. Great article and nice cameras. I know there are other options like the KB Canham and the Shen-Hao. My photography will consist of scenic landscapes and railroad archeaology (old rail yards, out buildings, steam engines, etc.) I will need the ability for modest movements and I do want a newer camera.

I appreciate any user experience you can offer. This will be an expensive purchase, but I am not unwilling to pay more for a better camera. It's not like purchasing a 35mm, where I could run down to the store and check them out. This is an expensive purchase on faith, and that's where you come in!!

Thanks,
Rick

alec4444
14-Mar-2007, 21:02
Hmmm, well, if you ever hope to take a 7x17 vertical shot you'll narrow your choice down to one camera....that's Richard Ritter's 7x17. (I suppose you could customize another camera, but as far as out-of-the-box is concerned...)

I'm also toying with the idea of getting into this format, and if I were purchasing new (I won't be) and money was no object (it will be) I'd probably choose a Lotus. I'd take the extra rigidity over the weight, I like the hardware, and they have a great reputation.

--A

Daniel Grenier
15-Mar-2007, 06:02
Although I am not familiar with the cameras mentioned, I must say that I am more than pleased with my 7x17 Wisner. It is not overly heavy, has all necesary features and more (i.e rear rise, front shift, removable bellows etc...). The hard part is picking a camera without first seeing and using it - which is, unfortunately, a likely event as comparing cameras first hand prior to buying is near impossible in the ULF market.

Good luck.

Ted Harris
15-Mar-2007, 06:32
Rick,

You don't say where you ae located so either of these options might work ... or neither. If you come to the View Camera Conference in Louisville in June you will be able to see and 'play with' the Ritter and Chamonix cameras(I am ssuming the Chamonix will be there and I know the Ritter will be) and you will alo likely see a Canham 7x17 at the Trade Show. Additionally, if you sign up for the preconference Landscape Workshop you are likely to get a lot of field time with the Ritter camera (if you want it) as Richard is one of the instructors and will have his 7x17 there as well. Finally (blatant self promotion) come to any Fine Focus Workshop and Richard always has a 7x17 with him. I know that at the May workshop there will be at least one other person who is an ardent 7x17 user. Details at www.finefocusworkshops.com.

alec4444
15-Mar-2007, 06:55
The hard part is picking a camera without first seeing and using it - which is, unfortunately, a likely event as comparing cameras first hand prior to buying is near impossible in the ULF market.

Agreed. That's party why I think organizing free meetups like we did in NYC is really kind of nice....you get to see all kinds of cameras and (at the NYC thing) some pretty cool lenses too. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure the workshops like Ted has are great too ... as are the conferences. But if you're considering buying one of these you probably want to save some money for a lens too, and hey: free is free.

--A

RichardRitter
15-Mar-2007, 12:09
This is how I tested to see if the rail system for my 7 x 17 would hold up to a 20 x 24 back. See photos.

You could always think about renting a camera.

John Bowen
15-Mar-2007, 12:17
Rick,

If you are anywhere near Richmond, VA just drop me a note and we can get together so you can take my Ritter 7x17 for a test drive. I think if you had a chance to test drive one, you'd likely buy one. No, Richard doesn't pay me and I'm not a dealer, just an enthusiast who believes that the more folks that get involved with ULF the better it is for ALL of us.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Mar-2007, 12:29
This is how I tested to see if the rail system for my 7 x 17 would hold up to a 20 x 24 back. See photos.

Ahh... the old Lester Bogen method...

Rick Olson
15-Mar-2007, 13:27
Wow, Richard! That's impressive! I am looking for a durable camera, so that display is a plus.

John .. thanks for the option to test drive. Unfortunately, I am in Southern California, but I will take your comments to heart.

Rick

Oren Grad
15-Mar-2007, 14:07
Ahh... the old Lester Bogen method...

Not only that, he doesn't sell anything he wouldn't use himself. ;)

Monty McCutchen
15-Mar-2007, 14:23
Rick,

I will be in Los Angeles on the 27th and 28th as part of multil city business trip. I am bringing my Phillips 7 x 17 on that trip as I try to bring it with me on my trips through the west. Although there are not many of those around it might be useful to see it and be able to judge up close what you would like to be a part of whatever camera you end up deciding to purchase. If you are interested you are welcome to come by where I will be staying (Near LAX) and play around with it.

RichardRitter
15-Mar-2007, 15:59
Thats the rail to my camera.

Jim Rice
15-Mar-2007, 17:17
I think it may hold, Richard. Jus' sayin'.

wfwhitaker
15-Mar-2007, 20:36
Thats the rail to my camera.

I thought maybe it was some kind of newfangled Vermont ski contraption. ;)

Note to Rick: If you take Monty's offer to try his Phillips 7x17, I hope you have a will of iron. God bless you, man! You WILL be left with an insatiable desire to have one.
I know all too well. It happened to me.

I met Monty innocently enough one day last summer along the Blue Ridge Parkway with his 7x17 and almost immediately I was stricken with the Phillips lust. Oh yes, it's true; the shame of it all! I HAD to have one. But I must've been living right because, saints be praised, I actually found one a few weeks later. Can it happen twice? Take Monty up on his offer and find out. You WILL want a Phillips. Just a warning.

:)

Michael Mutmansky
16-Mar-2007, 07:23
I think I know of a 7x17 Phillips that is looking for a new owner (not mine, though)...

---Michael

Ted Harris
16-Mar-2007, 11:18
Don't get too enamored of a Phillips 7x17 unless you are willing wait until one shows up on the used market or Dick Phillips canfind one for you ... he isn't making them anymore AFAIK.

Matt Magruder
19-Mar-2007, 06:49
Hmmm, well, if you ever hope to take a 7x17 vertical shot you'll narrow your choice down to one camera....that's Richard Ritter's 7x17. (I suppose you could customize another camera, but as far as out-of-the-box is concerned...)
--A

I have to fully dissagree with this statement.
I shoot vertically with my old Folmer&Schwing 7x17 quite often. I have yet to modify the camera from its original state (aside from replacing some screws and adding some bubble levels) I merely built a big "L bracket" with some strips of wood and thumb screws to keep it from twisting when shooting vertically. It helps in that it centers the weight over the tripod head and holds it very solidly.
So just keep in mind that vertical shooting with an old 7x17 is possible and workable, sometimes, when Im lucky, I actually get a worthwhile negative.

Doug Howk
19-Mar-2007, 10:40
Matt, if you can enable an older camera to shoot vertical, that would increase the possibilities for all concerned. I have a 7X17 Korona (circa 1915) that I would be very interested in finding out how to convert to use in vertical position. Could you post a picture of your modifications?

Michael Mutmansky
19-Mar-2007, 10:56
I shoot verticals regularly with my Phillips and have done so as well with a Canham. I've shot verticals with a 12x20 as well.

Shooting vertical with a banquet camera takes some faith in your equipment and common sense, but it it not impossible to do if you have a stable tripod and a head that will permit the camera to be oriented vertically on the tripod.

It does take a considerable amount of additional effort over a horizontal, and that is why I consider a camera that is capable of doing verticals a real benefit if you intend to shoot a lot of them. While I do shoot them, I don't consider my percentage of verticals to be enough to be thinking of a new camera that will enable that capability.

---Michael

David A. Goldfarb
19-Mar-2007, 11:06
I tried turning my Korona vertical, and it wasn't impossible on my Gitzo G1570M head, but it tended to twist on the head, so I'll be adding a second tripod socket, and I think that will take care of it.

By the way, Wynit seems to have stock of FP4+ in 7x17", so folks who shoot this format might want to order some while it is easily available. I got mine from The View Camera Store.

Kerik Kouklis
19-Mar-2007, 11:08
I've shot many verticals with both a Korona and 7x17 Wisner. The key is a sturdy tripod and head. It helps to have 2 tripod sockets in the base of your camera and 2 screws on your tripod head. I set up a Majestic head with the large plate for this approach. Matt's approach is also a good one. Being able to shoot verticals easily is a nice feature on the Ritter camera, but it wouldn't be the deciding factor if I was in the market for a new 7x17.