PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 600-800-1200 lens

Dave_B
13-Mar-2007, 15:59
Folks:
Is there an earlier version of the Nikkor T-ED that works like this description below? Mine has the front lens fixed and one changes the rear element with three separate units to get a 600, 800 or 1200mm lens. Same as for the 360, 500 and 720 lens. Was there an earlier convertible unit that worked differently? This is a description of a lens on the auction site and I was wondering if I did not know something about early Nikkor tele lenses. There is no description of such a lens in any catalog I have or in Kerry's Nikkor lens article for View Camera Magazine.
Thanks,
Dave B.

"The front element is 600 and the rear element is 800. When both elements are together the combined focal length is 1200. You can screw the front element off and replace with the rear element which then makes the lens 800, or you can screw off the rear element and leave the 600 on the front which then gives you a 600mm lens."

Ralph Barker
13-Mar-2007, 16:47
I have the 360T and have been looking for a 720 rear cell. Thus, I believe your description is correct and the eBay seller is confused. But, I don't claim to be a Nikkor LF lens expert.

Peter Galea
13-Mar-2007, 17:06
I have the 360T and have been looking for a 720 rear cell. Thus, I believe your description is correct and the eBay seller is confused. But, I don't claim to be a Nikkor LF lens expert.

I'd like one too. The 720 that is.
But I'm wondering if it's really a left handed skyhook?

Eric Leppanen
13-Mar-2007, 17:12
The listing in question is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-Nikkor-T-ED-600-800-1200-f-9-12-18-lens_W0QQitemZ120096388069QQcategoryZ15248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This sure looks like a regular Nikkor T-ED to me. If so, the focal length is determined by swapping the rear element; the front element remains constant in all cases. I used to own one of these lenses, and while I can't swear to it, my recollection is that the front and rear cells had different thread diameters, making it impossible to put a rear element in front of the shutter and vice-versa. The lens being auctioned has the 800mm rear element, therefore it is an 800mm lens only. Separate 600 and 1200mm rear elements will be needed to support those focal lengths.

I'll bet this is a case where the listing was posted by someone other than the actual photographer/owner, who does not understand how the lens operates. Looking at the seller's recent sales items (a crepe maker, TV set, dining room chair, etc.) reinforces this impression.

AnselAndy
13-Mar-2007, 17:39
I have the lens in question, and I know of no earlier version of this lens. I'm pretty sure the eBay seller is confused, the front and rear elements have different thread diameters that prevent them from being interchanged as they describe! But you should get them to tell you the exact markings on the front and rear elements so you can be sure.

The front element should be marked with "Nikkor-T * ED 600 1:9" in white lettering followed by "800mm 1:12" in green lettering. If you look real close on the seller's picture you can see the 600mm markings followed by some illegible green lettering - exactly where the "800mm 1:12" marking is on my lens.

The 600mm rear element is marked "Rear lens for T 600mm". The 800mm rear element marked "Rear lens for T 800mm". I never got around to buying the 1200mm rear element, drat it all!

I'm sure going to be interested to see how this auction ends up!

Dave_B
13-Mar-2007, 18:10
Thanks all. Someone is confused. I'm happy to hear it is not me.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Eric Woodbury
13-Mar-2007, 18:33
AnselAndy got it right on the money. I have the lens and the same cells and it is exactly as he describes.

naturephoto1
13-Mar-2007, 19:28
The seller is completely confused. I have the smaller of the 2 tele systems that Nikon offered. I have the 500mm f11 and the 720mm f16 rear elements. AnselAndy is correct as to how the system works. The front group is needed for any of the 3 focal lengths. By changing the rear element cells you change the focal length of the lens in question from 600mm to 800mm to 1200mm.

The question to ask the seller is does he have any additional rear element groups beyond what is in the photo and if so are they included in the sale. You can correct him by saying that if he has no additional elements that the lens is only a 600mm lens (assuming the rear elements say 600mm). In order to make the lens 800mm (unless the rear elements say 800mm and then would swap the 600mm elements for the 800mm elements) or 1200mm he would need to unscrew the rear elements and replace the rear group with the elements marked 800mm (or 600mm) or 1200mm.

Rich